Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:26:16 am

Author Topic: Selective School Entrance Exam  (Read 2640 times)  Share 

pro(crastinator)

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Selective School Entrance Exam
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:57:38 pm »
The exam is coming up soon and I have a few questions:
•What type of math do I need to know for the tests?
•What kind of prompts do they give for the writing test?
•Any tips on how to perform well on the day?
•Any tips on calming my nerves. I'm honestly really nervous.
•I went to Edu-Kingdom for 4 or 5 months, I mostly got average and high averages. How are do the tests in Edu-Kingdom and the real test compare?
•Does anyone know the acceptance rate for Edu Kingdom?
•Any last minute preparation tips?
•Anyone else doing the test this year?
•How likely is it for me to get in?
I think that's all the questions I have. If anyone could answer any of these it would be greatly appreciated

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Selective School Entrance Exam
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:58:33 pm »
What select-entry school is this for? :P
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

jz27

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 04:51:16 pm »
Me I'm doing the test. Wot school u go to
2020: Chinese SLA [34-> ~43]
2021 (raw): English [42] Spesh [43] Methods [45] Chem [40] Physics [41]

ATAR: 99.30
UCAT: 3240 (99th)
Studying Medicine at Monash University

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!

jz27

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 04:52:39 pm »
•I went to Edu-Kingdom for 4 or 5 months, I mostly got average and high averages. How are do the tests in Edu-Kingdom and the real test compare?
I think that's all the questions I have. If anyone could answer any of these it would be greatly appreciated

I think you need to know linear equations

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 10:04:41 am »
+1

hi!! i did the exam last year and was accepted into macrob with 4 superiors.
i dont actually remember the content of the maths test, but you definitely need to know your basic year 8 and 9 maths. the actual questions aren't that difficult, but there's a lot of them, so make sure you can identify how to solve the problem and do it quickly. so things like linear, some basic trig, algebra, measurement, conversions, pythag, etc.
last year for the persuasive the prompt was quite difficult IMO - something about should sports players be taxed or something, i dunno. just remember that they don't care too much about the content but the STRUCTURE. FOLLOW THE STRUCTURE. i cannot stress this enough. if you show that you can visibly structure an essay and make decent points, you'll be fine.
the creative was something like: imagine you are in a locked room and there is a box in front of you that is labelled DO NOT OPEN. and we had to write about that. just make sure you show your creativity. try to think of something outside of the box and unique thats not the typical: opens the box, its a bomb, its an alien, its a dream (OMFG please do not do that). try to use some super advanced vocab and use a lot of metaphors too - MAKE IT DEEP. :D
on the day, honestly there's no time to panic. you go in, you find your seat, they read out the practice questions, start the test, and honestly time passes so quickly. once you're done you start the next test. and then the next one. i didn't actually think about the test itself that much except during the break and afterwards. so dont worry!! :) i had an anxiety disorder and i was terrified that it would play up during the exam, but my tip for you is to just take things in the moment and try not to think about it too much while you're doing the test. and remember that you did the best you could in the moment, and you're all in the same boat!! hope this helps.
no idea about the edukingdom thing but ive heard that the tests at tutoring are harder than the actual exam. im not sure though.
last year there were about 3500 people (it goes up every year though) and 900 spots, so it was about a 1 in 4 chance of getting in. remember that a bunch of people drop out as well (taking the test for the sake of taking the test) so there are a lot of second round offers. also, the 5% rule is very important. a lot of great people don't get in because of the 5% rule. i thought I did crap on the actual exam and wasn't confident about anything besides the creative, reading and verbal. i actually thought i bombed both math tests so bad, but i got a superior in the maths and above average in the numerical, so don't feel bad if you only do about half the test!!! there's a very good chance you'll get in, and it honestly is not that difficult.
i probably missed a bunch of things, but if you have any more questions PLEASE ASK. :) happy to help!!
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

pro(crastinator)

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 01:17:34 pm »
What select-entry school is this for? :P

The selective schools in Victoria for entry in 2018 year 9. First prefrence Nossal, second McRobs

pro(crastinator)

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 09:05:53 pm »
Are the official practice tests on the government website as easy as the exam?

jz27

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 09:15:48 pm »
The practice test are easy as i tripped up a bit but i averaged 85-89
faq the numerical was trippy af i got 78.33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:07:19 pm by Jack_Zhou_JZ »