Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2024, 02:09:33 am

Author Topic: In the public eye - hopelesswanderer's Public Health University Journal  (Read 1897 times)

hopelesswanderer

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
  • School: University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Not a very snazzy title, I'm afraid, but it will have to do :)
Hello everyone! I'm hopelesswanderer and welcome to my journal! For those who might be curious, my username came from one of my favourite songs, 'Hopeless wanderer' by Mumford and Sons. I am a first year Master of Public Health student at the University of Melbourne, who graduated from a Bachelor of Science in 2017, majoring in Physiology.
My reason for starting this journal comes in two parts. First, I wanted to keep track of my two years in Public Health, a field I am very passionate about. Secondly, I am yet to hear from anyone on ATARnotes who is doing the MPH, so I would very much welcome any comments from fellow MPHers (and anyone else, of course!)
I hope to update this journal weekly or bi-weekly,
What to expect from me
- Updates on my MPH course: I am in my first semester of first year, so I am doing three core subjects (Foundations of Public Health, Epidemiology 1, Biostatistics) and one elective (Infectious Disease Epidemiology).
- Answers to your questions!: Ask anything, and I will answer honestly I promise. I'm a very straightforward and blunt person, and will tell it to you straight
- Random life observations: I'm no philosopher (I did a science philosophy subject in my BSc and it bored me to death) but imma give it a shot anyway

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
+4
So good! I love this journal already. ;D

Was your undergrad also at UoM? I've actually considered the MPH from time to time, so this is very pertinent for me haha.

Obviously it's very early in your new degree, but have you noticed any considerable difference in expectations/workload etc. compared to undergrad yet?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

hopelesswanderer

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
  • School: University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
+4
So good! I love this journal already. ;D

Was your undergrad also at UoM? I've actually considered the MPH from time to time, so this is very pertinent for me haha.

Obviously it's very early in your new degree, but have you noticed any considerable difference in expectations/workload etc. compared to undergrad yet?

My first comment, thank you! Welcome, my friend.
Yep, BSc was also at unimelb, 2015 to 2017.
Certainly, the MPH has less contact hours than BSc. In an average semester of my BSc, i would have 4-5 almost full days, between lectures, tutes and practicals. For the MPH, each of my subjects has 1 lec, 1 tute, and a prac for biostatistics, so I come to uni 3 days a week. However, the overall expected study hours per week are the same (10 hours per week), so although you may not be in class as much, there are always assignments, quizzes and study to do. Planning my time is essential so that I don't fall behind.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
+1
Would love to hear more about this if you happen to have an update! :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.