Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:11:52 am

Author Topic: Ellen talks about uni wow!!! (specifically arts/law)  (Read 18544 times)

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
  • Respect: +76
Re: Ellen talks about uni wow!!! (specifically arts/law)
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 07:47:33 pm »
+8
You can never not do work in the library, unless you too busy reading/admiring all the books/journals/articles they house. I may or may not do this when I'm bored or want to procrastinate... :P

omg today i went into the library to borrow oNE book, but got distracted by so many others that looked interesting and ended up spending 30 mins just looking through random books haha
VCE 2015: Biology | History Revs | English | Legal Studies | Media | Methods
ATAR: 96.55

Currently: Arts/Law at Monash University - History Major, Journalism Minor

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 10:08:03 pm »
+7
13/10

On Monday my torts lecturer said our results for an essay we submitted over a month ago would be released on Tuesday, but today is Friday and still no results :(

On Tuesday I had my final history lecture and tutorial !!!! i'm glad, but this means i'm going to have a 6 hour break between classes next week, since i won't have history to fill that time, and i am sO unsure what i'm going to spend that time doing! because i am definitely not studying for 6 hours straight.

On Wednesday we went through torts practice questions in our tutorial and it was helpful and I think I can structure some responses now. I want to try and submit a practice response to my tutor and see what she thinks.

Yesterday I met with my journalism tutor before class to discuss our essay that's due during swotvac and she gave a lot of helpful advice which was nice.

Today I didn't have uni and was meant to spend my day working on my history diary, but instead I played dolphin olympics all day :(
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:12:10 pm by ellellen »

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 10:11:53 pm »
+3
13/10

On Monday my torts lecturer said our results for an essay we submitted over a month ago would be released on Tuesday, but today is Friday and still no results :(

On Tuesday I had my final history lecture and tutorial !!!! i'm glad, but this means i'm going to have a 6 hour break between classes next week, since i won't have history to fill that time, and i am sO unsure what i'm going to spend that time doing! because i am definitely not studying for 6 hours straight.

On Wednesday we went through torts practice questions in our tutorial and it was helpful and I think I can structure some responses now. I want to try and submit a practice response to my tutor and see what she thinks.

Yesterday I met with my journalism tutor before class to discuss our essay that's due during swotvac and she gave a lot of helpful advice which was nice.

Today I didn't have uni and was meant to spend my day working on my history diary, but instead I played dolphin olympics all day :((((
As for what you can do on your 6 hour break. You can explore your campus, try and catch up with fellow members on ATARNotes if they are willingly; Lots of Monash students on this forum, just play some more dolphin olympics :P or even study :O.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 10:16:18 pm »
+4
As for what you can do on your 6 hour break. You can explore your campus, try and catch up with fellow members on ATARNotes if they are willingly; Lots of Monash students on this forum, just play some more dolphin olympics :P or even study :O.

Yeah i might do some campus exploration! and probably a few games of dolphin olympics will be played

shiba woof woof

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2017, 05:09:05 pm »
+4
Hey Ellen,

So this year I'm completing VCE and I also want to study Arts/Law double degree next year. However, I feel like the ATAR i can achieve is only around 95-96. Which means i'm probably not going to be accepted into the course. So most likely I'm going to have to do the arts pathway. But i'm a bit confused about it.

I know i need to average more than 70% for my units. But I don't get how i enter the course that allows me to have a pathway to Law. Do I just study arts for one year and if i get 70% WAM I'll be able to study Law the year after automatically? Do i need to do anything beforehand, like alert uni co-ordinators or is there a special course specifically for the pathway? And i've heard that the pathway is very competitive, does that mean even if i get more than 70% WAM there is a chance I won't get into the double degree?

Thanks a lot!

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:08 pm »
+10
Hey Ellen,

So this year I'm completing VCE and I also want to study Arts/Law double degree next year. However, I feel like the ATAR i can achieve is only around 95-96. Which means i'm probably not going to be accepted into the course. So most likely I'm going to have to do the arts pathway. But i'm a bit confused about it.

I know i need to average more than 70% for my units. But I don't get how i enter the course that allows me to have a pathway to Law. Do I just study arts for one year and if i get 70% WAM I'll be able to study Law the year after automatically? Do i need to do anything beforehand, like alert uni co-ordinators or is there a special course specifically for the pathway? And i've heard that the pathway is very competitive, does that mean even if i get more than 70% WAM there is a chance I won't get into the double degree?

Thanks a lot!

Hey  :D

Okay, so firstly I would say: don't count yourself out yet! You haven't sat your exams and you might surprise yourself and get the 98 needed for arts/law!!

Secondly, starting in an arts degree and transferring to arts/law is great and fun and i personally enjoyed it a lot more than i think i would have enjoyed going straight into arts/law. I got to branch out into a bunch of different arts subjects that i would have otherwise never gotten the chance to experience, and met a lot of great friends that i wouldn't have known otherwise! So if you do just get into arts, it might actually be a really good experience for you !!!!!!!

SO the way to get from an arts degree to an art/law degree is:

1. You enrol in a straight ordinary arts degree at monash.

2. You try to keep your scores above 70% (70 is the minimum required, but it never hurts to aim a little higher)

3. In around September of your first year, the university will release the form needed for you to apply for an Internal Course Transfer. This is the form you need to be able to transfer from an arts degree to an arts/law degree. (and it's also the form you need to change into just about anY other degree). You can find this form by just google searching "Monash internal course transfer". This is what the page looks like. Of course, this isn't something you really need to even start thinking about at all until like august/ september of next year!!!!!

4. You go and chat to arts student services for like 15 mins in august/september-ish and tell them you want to transfer, they say "ok cool!", you fill out the form and that's it!

5. In December, after semester 2 results come out, you'll get an email telling you whether you've been accepted or not! While it is very competitive, I personally haven't heard of anyone who got a WAM above 70 and didn't get accepted. A very very large chunk of people who do law are transfer students.

Ultimately, at this stage I wouldn't worry about the transfer process. If you just do arts for your first year of uni, then i would only worry about keeping your WAM above 70 for most of the year. You don't need to stress about the transfer process at all until during second semester, and by then, the transfer process will probably become a lot more transparent and easy to navigate than it currently seems.

The transfer process seemed really confusing for me in year 12 and my first year of uni, and i stressed a lot about it, but when it actually came down to doing it, it was just a 15 minute chat with arts student service, and filling out a 5 minute form!

Feel free to ask me any more questions about it, and even come back this time next year when you're in the middle of applying for a transfer to ask more haha :)

shiba woof woof

• Forum Regular
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2017, 11:01:26 pm »
+3
Hey  :D

Okay, so firstly I would say: don't count yourself out yet! You haven't sat your exams and you might surprise yourself and get the 98 needed for arts/law!!

Secondly, starting in an arts degree and transferring to arts/law is great and fun and i personally enjoyed it a lot more than i think i would have enjoyed going straight into arts/law. I got to branch out into a bunch of different arts subjects that i would have otherwise never gotten the chance to experience, and met a lot of great friends that i wouldn't have known otherwise! So if you do just get into arts, it might actually be a really good experience for you !!!!!!!

SO the way to get from an arts degree to an art/law degree is:

1. You enrol in a straight ordinary arts degree at monash.

2. You try to keep your scores above 70% (70 is the minimum required, but it never hurts to aim a little higher)

3. In around September of your first year, the university will release the form needed for you to apply for an Internal Course Transfer. This is the form you need to be able to transfer from an arts degree to an arts/law degree. (and it's also the form you need to change into just about anY other degree). You can find this form by just google searching "Monash internal course transfer". This is what the page looks like. Of course, this isn't something you really need to even start thinking about at all until like august/ september of next year!!!!!

4. You go and chat to arts student services for like 15 mins in august/september-ish and tell them you want to transfer, they say "ok cool!", you fill out the form and that's it!

5. In December, after semester 2 results come out, you'll get an email telling you whether you've been accepted or not! While it is very competitive, I personally haven't heard of anyone who got a WAM above 70 and didn't get accepted. A very very large chunk of people who do law are transfer students.

Ultimately, at this stage I wouldn't worry about the transfer process. If you just do arts for your first year of uni, then i would only worry about keeping your WAM above 70 for most of the year. You don't need to stress about the transfer process at all until during second semester, and by then, the transfer process will probably become a lot more transparent and easy to navigate than it currently seems.

The transfer process seemed really confusing for me in year 12 and my first year of uni, and i stressed a lot about it, but when it actually came down to doing it, it was just a 15 minute chat with arts student service, and filling out a 5 minute form!

Feel free to ask me any more questions about it, and even come back this time next year when you're in the middle of applying for a transfer to ask more haha :)

Oh my god thank you soooo much for this detailed response!!!   ;D

It's cleared a lot of my confusions, it seems so easy now than what i thought it would be haha.

Just one question, apart from getting a WAM of 70% and above for the Arts degree, is there anything else I need to do before September when I apply for the internet course transfer?

And you're right,right now, I need to seriously focus on my exams and maybe i'll get the 98 needed for arts and law !   :P

Again, thanks so much!

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2017, 11:11:13 pm »
+8
Oh my god thank you soooo much for this detailed response!!!   ;D

It's cleared a lot of my confusions, it seems so easy now than what i thought it would be haha.

Just one question, apart from getting a WAM of 70% and above for the Arts degree, is there anything else I need to do before September when I apply for the internet course transfer?

And you're right,right now, I need to seriously focus on my exams and maybe i'll get the 98 needed for arts and law !   :P

Again, thanks so much!

From what I recall, there's nothing else you need to do! In my year in arts i met quite a few people who also wanted to transfer, and so we were all able to discuss the process together and help each other find out dates to apply by, etc, and chances are you'll probably find the same with people you meet!

And if you have any questions about the transfer process throughout the year, you're able to contact the arts faculty, the law faculty, and a bunch of other places to ask questions. Once you become a monash student, they'll tell you about all the ways you can contact them to ask questions and stuff! So yeah, try not to worry too much about it now. I promise it will all become a lot clearer as you go :)

shiba woof woof

• Forum Regular
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2017, 11:21:34 pm »
+3
From what I recall, there's nothing else you need to do! In my year in arts i met quite a few people who also wanted to transfer, and so we were all able to discuss the process together and help each other find out dates to apply by, etc, and chances are you'll probably find the same with people you meet!

And if you have any questions about the transfer process throughout the year, you're able to contact the arts faculty, the law faculty, and a bunch of other places to ask questions. Once you become a monash student, they'll tell you about all the ways you can contact them to ask questions and stuff! So yeah, try not to worry too much about it now. I promise it will all become a lot clearer as you go :)

Thank you so much!!  :) :) :)

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2017, 11:30:52 pm »
+3

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2017, 11:32:29 pm »
+6
17/10

Today I had my last torts class ever!!!! (unless i fail ahh) i'm sO glad, I really don't enjoy it. In class we finally got our marks back from the case note that we submitted 5 weeks ago. I felt for sure that I was only going to get like a pass because I had no idea what i was even talking about, but i ended up getting 90% ! :O so i was really happy about that, but also a little annoyed that they gave literally no feedback ?? i want to know what i lost marks for! Now for torts i just have the exam left to do (worth 70%). There was a revision lecture today that was super helpful for learning how to structure answers and i feel a tiny bit more confident. But also there are hardly any practice exams to do, so i'm a little stressed that i'm not going to get enough practice at writing under timed conditions and testing how good my notes are against different questions.

I also got a lot of work done on my history diary today! i'm like half finished, and i really want to try and get it done asap so i have more time to work on my journalism essay and to study for my law exams. I should have been working on it throughout the semester, as I did each week's readings. But i didn't, which means i need to do a lot of rereading :'( Next year i need to try and stay on top of my assignments a lot better!!

Also, unrelated to uni but one thing i'm trying to get in the habit of is learning German! I did it for 4 years in high school and i've retained so much of it, and i like being able to speak a little, so every night i'm trying to do a bit of Duolingo ! I've been successful at keeping up a routine of doing like 10-20 mins of Duolingo every night for about a week ? so hopefully i keep it up and improve my German a little! Just for fun !! so that's what i'm about to go do now. Tschüss!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:34:11 pm by ellellen »

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2017, 11:56:11 pm »
+8
23/10

On Friday I submitted my history assignment and felt really great about myself because now I only have one journalism essay and my two law exams to go!

This great feeling soon subsided, because on Saturday morning I fell over and hit my head while playing netball and got a concussion!  :(

It's only a very mild concussion but my head is still so sore, and i'm having a lot of trouble concentrating on things. The doctor said I need to take it really easy this week and not do any work, but that is a little difficult because my exams start in one week!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't want to defer my exams because I am really not keen to have to keep revising this content for months to sit an exam during the holidays. At the moment I'm thinking my best bet is to try and get special consideration for my journalism essay, so that I can have a few weeks' extension on it, just to relieve a bit of stress, and then just sit my exams on their normal date. I'm a little nervous though because I've never applied for special consideration before, so i'm a bit unclear on how it works, but hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.

I'm just hoping that my brain fog clears up soon so that I can still do a little bit of study before exams !!! I'm just really annoyed that this had to happen this week, when I have so much work to do, but also relieved that it didn't happen nExT week, as in immediately before my exams begin.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2017, 12:18:15 am »
+4
23/10

On Friday I submitted my history assignment and felt really great about myself because now I only have one journalism essay and my two law exams to go!

This great feeling soon subsided, because on Saturday morning I fell over and hit my head while playing netball and got a concussion!  :(

It's only a very mild concussion but my head is still so sore, and i'm having a lot of trouble concentrating on things. The doctor said I need to take it really easy this week and not do any work, but that is a little difficult because my exams start in one week!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't want to defer my exams because I am really not keen to have to keep revising this content for months to sit an exam during the holidays. At the moment I'm thinking my best bet is to try and get special consideration for my journalism essay, so that I can have a few weeks' extension on it, just to relieve a bit of stress, and then just sit my exams on their normal date. I'm a little nervous though because I've never applied for special consideration before, so i'm a bit unclear on how it works, but hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.

I'm just hoping that my brain fog clears up soon so that I can still do a little bit of study before exams !!! I'm just really annoyed that this had to happen this week, when I have so much work to do, but also relieved that it didn't happen nExT week, as in immediately before my exams begin.
Ahh concussions are the worst. Hope you're feeling better soon! :)

In terms of special consideration - I've had to do it several times this semester, and it's a pretty easy process! If it's for something medical, just get your medical certificate/letter from your doctor as your supporting document.
You have to print out the special consideration form, fill out your details, give a brief explanation as to why you're asking for it, then just scan that document in and scan the med cert in! :) You upload the forms all in the one place online, pretty straightfoward!
Idk if you've already done this, but make sure your unit coordinator/lecturer/etc is aware of what's going on - makes things smoother :)

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2017, 12:23:28 am »
+4
Ahh concussions are the worst. Hope you're feeling better soon! :)

In terms of special consideration - I've had to do it several times this semester, and it's a pretty easy process! If it's for something medical, just get your medical certificate/letter from your doctor as your supporting document.
You have to print out the special consideration form, fill out your details, give a brief explanation as to why you're asking for it, then just scan that document in and scan the med cert in! :) You upload the forms all in the one place online, pretty straightfoward!
Idk if you've already done this, but make sure your unit coordinator/lecturer/etc is aware of what's going on - makes things smoother :)

Aww thanks so much!! I've never been concussed before and it feels so gross!

And ooh cool, i've got the medical certificate and have the form printed and ready to go! One quick q: on the form there's a section that says "To be completed by the examiner/lecturer/tutor". Do you know if I need to go to them and get them to fill that out before I upload the form, or if that's the bit that gets filled out by the faculty after I upload?

Thank you for your help! :)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2017, 01:05:05 am »
+4
Aww thanks so much!! I've never been concussed before and it feels so gross!

And ooh cool, i've got the medical certificate and have the form printed and ready to go! One quick q: on the form there's a section that says "To be completed by the examiner/lecturer/tutor". Do you know if I need to go to them and get them to fill that out before I upload the form, or if that's the bit that gets filled out by the faculty after I upload?

Thank you for your help! :)
And I hope you never get concussed again! I wish I could offer some advice, but I know that only rest really helps with concussion! I've had one before - can sympathise with the yuck feelings :( hope it all subsides soon.

Happy to help! :) They fill out that part after its uploaded. You only have to worry about your bit!