Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:57 am

Author Topic: How to make friends at uni?  (Read 7312 times)  Share 

A+study

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
How to make friends at uni?
« on: February 03, 2014, 09:49:42 pm »
Like many people on this forum, I am commencing first year uni this year. Two of my subjects are second year (since I did an extension subject) and two of them are off campus. This means I have little to no opportunity to meet people during tutorials. I'm not really sporty or into many of the clubs so I don't think I will sign up for these.
How am I supposed to make friends at uni? I'm an introvert and am worried I will not have an opportunity to meet people. Any tips/advice?

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
Re: How to make friends at uni?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 10:08:09 pm »
+6

^ literally me, before starting uni.
Jokes aside, it might sound a bit cliche but just be yourself, some people make friends on the very first day, others make them 2 or 3 weeks into the course. There will always be chances to make friends (such as those dreaded group assignments *shivers*). Though I should tell you, the first week is when hardly anybody knows anyone, so I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of others like you. Just sit next to anyone, but don't look too unapproachable, don't forget to smile :P. (The old 'I forgot my pen, can I borrow yours' trick seems to work most of the time :P).

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

90+FTW

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:09:02 pm »
Yeah, don't worry I'm an introvert as well (refused to go to my formal, parties - I really hate socializing etc).
I suppose we'll just have to wait until someone makes contact first. lol'

The old 'I forgot my pen, can I borrow yours' trick seems to work most of the time
I asked someone where the public phone was on academic advice day, and they told me to "fuck off." First thing that came into my head, "that went well." 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:11:21 pm by 90+FTW »

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:13:00 pm »
+2
I can honestly say that I was determined not to talk to anyone at uni (so much effort lel). I did my best to look unapproachable, eyes down, headphones in, having a generally ugly face - y'know, the usual lol. Some guy STILL managed to sit next to me in a lecture and become one of my best friends. He legitimately sat next to me, was ignored by me for a little bit, then introduced himself after a little awkward period. I'm assuming you'll have lectures for the second year subjects - I reckon just chuck yourself in the deep end and introduce yourself to anyone that doesn't look like they're going to take a knife to you.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

90+FTW

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:18:54 pm »
introduce yourself to anyone that doesn't look like they're going to take a knife to you.

There seems to be a lot of those people around :/

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:20:59 pm »
+8

I asked someone where the public phone was on academic advice day, and they told me to "fuck off." First thing that came into my head, "that went well." 
I can only speak for Monash :|

90+FTW

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:22:32 pm »
I can only speak for Monash :|
lol fair enough, maybe Monash is just kinder.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 10:32:48 pm »
+1
Following on from what Brenden said, the people I sat next to during my first lecture and stood in line with during O-Week are still some of my best friends. It's that easy.

It's harder not to make friends at uni than it is to make them, if you put in even a bit of effort. There's so much opportunity. Too many people don't look out for that opportunity and go straight home after class everyday and don't make the most of O-Week and such (i.e. stay home throughout O-Week) and then complain about not being able to make friends. Don't be those people! You have to try! It'll happen, don't let it stress you, and don't let the perceived challenge of it all put you off.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:21:03 am »
+1
The thing with uni is there is no pressure to keep up with the pack, if you really wanted to, its possible to make friends whenever. It's not like there are year levels or anything like that to keep up with. People are always graduating, starting, swapping classes, etc. Two being second year really shouldn't matter too much i reckon.

It's kind of hard and it's not in different respects. It's hard in that you need to take initiative most of the time, unlike highschool theres not synchronised times for lunch or anything else, it doesn't really force people together in the same way. I've met plenty of people but hardly any of them became friends, its because you meet a *huge* amount of people but to keep it up you do need to make some kind of effort.

It's easy in the sheer amount of people, you're bound to find someone you like or some kind of activity. There's all different kinds of people so i wouldn't worry about that too much.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 07:40:43 am »
+1

I think that's your perception.  Most people are very nice.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

Fishyiscool

• Custom1
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
  • School: I shouldnt say.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 11:27:57 am »
+1
Heya!
Okay, your first op to make friends is O-week. Talk to everyone, talk to people while you line up for sausage sizzles, talk to mentors, talk to librarians. It might be awkward at first, but then you start to get the flow of it. Just smile a bit, be open. :D There's so many people that even if you end up making a fool of yourself, no one will remember. 
Oh, go to uni events if you can, join clubs that have meetings on the days that you will be at uni.

It's kind of hard and it's not in different respects. It's hard in that you need to take initiative most of the time, unlike highschool theres not synchronised times for lunch or anything else, it doesn't really force people together in the same way. I've met plenty of people but hardly any of them became friends, its because you meet a *huge* amount of people but to keep it up you do need to make some kind of effort.

^ tottttaaaaallly agreed with kp, uni can be lonely at first because you don't see the same people every day. Some days you walk in and you see everyone you've made friends with. Some days you walk in and there's no one you know. :( But if you can train yourself to take initiative during o-week, you will have a few people to linger around, and when you're already with a person or two, it's always easy to pick up more people who are standing by themselves. Most people will be happy to be adopted into a little friendship posse for the day! During the first few weeks at least....
Happy enough after one hell of a year.

<3 Life goal: ---->  Prosthetics and Orthotics
2013 - bachelor of health sciences/master of clinical prosthetics and orthotics at La trobe :))

Mi piacerebbe aiutare gli altri studenti che studiano l'italiano quest' anno. Mi mandi un messaggio e possiamo chiacchierare x)

90+FTW

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 02:18:58 pm »
I think that's your perception
Asked where the phone was, got told to fuck off. I don't think my perception is the problem.

Idk, maybe she was in a REALLY REALLY bad mood, but it certainly put me off from talking to anyone else that day. lol

I've met plenty of people but hardly any of them became friends, its because you meet a *huge* amount of people but to keep it up you do need to make some kind of effort.
^ THIS.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:20:40 pm by 90+FTW »

Inside Out

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 09:44:28 pm »
you'll find that a lot of people don't have friends in uni but  they have friends outside of uni anyway.. stick with your high school friends in case :D high school friends tend to be for life whereas uni friends are momentary.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 09:46:01 pm »
you'll find that a lot of people don't have friends in uni but  they have friends outside of uni anyway.. stick with your high school friends in case :D high school friends tend to be for life whereas uni friends are momentary.
What high-school did you go to?!

Inside Out

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 10:07:05 pm »
What high-school did you go to?!

macrob but i meant my previous previous school santa maria.