Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:40:01 am

Author Topic: Macbeth and Gladiator Comparison Essay Help  (Read 3366 times)  Share 

pm_me_ur_eggs

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Macbeth and Gladiator Comparison Essay Help
« on: November 21, 2018, 07:13:19 pm »
Hi, if anyone has studied Macbeth and Gladiator then I'd appreciate some ideas for body paragraphs. I'm having a hard time coming up with them and actually making comparisons like similarities and differences. I've looked everywhere on the internet for sample essays but there's only one crappy one.

Here's what I've got so far:

Compare and contrast the consequences of ambition in Macbeth and Gladiator.

Ambition is a powerful catalyst that drives individuals to seek power, and is often portrayed positively in society. Shakespeare’s famous tragedy ‘Macbeth’ explores the corrupting power of ambition and the consequences it brings to those who are engulfed by it, which also affects people around them. Likewise, Ridley Scott’s ‘Gladiator’ illustrates the antagonistic Commodus Aurelius’ excess ambition as it grows into a potent greed for power. Both texts are similar in the sense that they depict the downfall of 2 tyrannic megalomaniacs who were both slain by vengeance-seeking soldiers, as a consequence of their actions in an attempt to maintain the throne. However, where both texts explore similar plot devices, ultimately, they differ in their portrayal of character motives.

One of the consequences of ambition is that a surplus of it removes the ability to make reasonable decisions, which is highlighted in both narratives. A clear example of this is demonstrated in ‘Macbeth’ where due to successfully murdering Duncan and in addition to being heavily supported by his wife, Macbeth’s hunger for power grows. He attempts to justify this heinous act by candidly acknowledging that he is only being driven by his ambition, which he defines as “vaulting” and “o’erleap[ing] itself”. Because he has no good reason for killing Duncan, this shows the strength of Macbeth’s ambition and how he only wants that power for himself. Likewise in ‘Gladiator’, when Commodus is denied the throne by his father, he lists one of his traits as ambition, which he calls “a virtue [that can] drive us to excel. The reason for this being that Marcus Aurelius did not think of his own son as a suitable candidate for the title of Caesar as he did not possess any of the “four chief values.” Enraged, Commodus mercilessly strangles his own father as he cries out that he “would’ve butchered the whole world” if only he had been loved. His sister Lucilla also disapproves of his kingship from the outset, and later plotting to assassinate him. Ergo, both Macbeth and Gladiator equally demonstrate one of the consequences of unchecked ambition; an individual’s conscience will eventually fail in the face of their ambitious tendencies, causing them to make irrationally violent decisions.

OZLexico

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Macbeth and Gladiator Comparison Essay Help
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 05:42:17 pm »
+2
I'm unable to give you anything too specific on "Gladiator" but broadly, I think you've made a good start and I like the comparison you've made in your essay so far.  However, your second and third main points are a bit too similar.  You are on the right track about "the downfall of tyrants" by "revenge seekers" but the topic sentence for this part of the discussion could focus on comparing the purpose of the revenge ie to restore "order"/orderly rule.  Your examples could draw on Maximus' ambition (for revenge on Commodus) and Macduff's ambition (for revenge on Macbeth).  The motives of these characters have a personal aspect as well as a wider impact (helping Gracchus to restore the Senate and Macduff supporting Malcolm's return to power in Scotland).  Then you still need a third main point.  Have you considered discussing the way these two genres represent "ambition" (ie close ups vs soliloquy) as it is actually a good idea to draw distinctions between the two genres.  What are the signposts/techniques used in film and in the play to make the audience aware of  negatives of ambition (Macbeth and the witches vs lighting and/or musical score that make you hate Commodus).  How might the setting contribute to this, who is present in the same shot or scene?  Alternatively, you could look at "ambition" as seen in the minor characters (to simply stay alive if you're a gladiator, to be freed, to make your gladiator business profitable, to avoid unwanted attention if you're a woman like Lucilla and in "Macbeth" minor characters like Lady Macduff want to be safe, Duncan wants the succession to be secure, Malcolm's ambition is to avoid Macbeth's spies and ensure the loyalty of his supporters).         

pm_me_ur_eggs

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 06:09:22 pm »
Those are actually some amazing ideas, so thanks for your response. I'm just wondering about how most of what you mentioned actually relates to the "consequences" of ambition (film techniques, how both texts represent ambition, minor characters).

OZLexico

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 03:10:19 pm »
+1
I think you could consider whether the "consequences of ambition" are presented with a positive or negative aspect at different points in each of the texts.  So, how do the techniques/features of each of these genres contribute to this? For the minor characters in "Gladiator", if they are likeable how does Ridley Scott convey this?  The ambition of the gladiators (to survive, to be freed) is fairly basic but this also is at the cost of (sometimes) seeing their own "friends" die in the arena.  In this example, personal ambition (to survive) has to be stronger than loyalty or friendship (does this change your view of these characters?).  In "Macbeth" the consequences of ambition for Malcolm mean he is the target of Macbeth's spies (he has to mis-represent himself to Macduff to test his loyalty), he also has to show strong effective leadership in the battle outside Dunsinane so that his forces can overcome "the tyrant".  Malcolm's ambitions have also changed (at the beginning of the play his goal was to avoid blame for Duncan's murder and to find safety from the real killer).  I hope these comments clarify things a bit.