Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 02:25:59 am

Author Topic: Is this considered as cheating?  (Read 1985 times)  Share 

FortniteGode876

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Is this considered as cheating?
« on: July 25, 2020, 04:51:39 pm »
Hi Atar Notes,

I done a methods sac a few weeks ago. We were given reading time for 15 minutes 2 days before the sac. From this, people memorised the questions and noted it down as soon as we had the chance to. When they went home, most of the class got their tutors to give full solutions to the questions and wrote them all down on their bound references. On the day of the sac, they just copied it down... Surely this isn't fair?
I did share my input on the sac with some classmates but didn't involve a third party (tutor/teacher). We received our results and there's a major gap between my score and those who got their tutors to do it. What can I do in this situation?

Thanks.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Is this considered as cheating?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 05:10:58 pm »
+11
If the reading time two days before the SAC was consistently applied across all your methods classes at your school, then there's nothing wrong with it. It's not usually how reading time works, but there's nothing against getting a tutor to go over questions if they were able to memorise them.

It's unfortunate and I do agree that there is a level of inequity in this case (but really it just emphasises the bigger issue of inequity in terms of those with the capacity to afford/access tutors/external support vs. those who can't throughout the year).

So to summarise: if the conditions of the SAC were applied consistently to all classes at your school and the SAC content meets the study design AOS outcomes, no issue that can be challenged.

(Btw, not saying reading time 2 days before the SAC is appropriate either..... if you have to ask any sort of question, ask why you were given reading time 2 days before the commencement of the SAC, creating this situation to begin with).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:16:54 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

FortniteGode876

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 05:26:38 pm »
If the reading time two days before the SAC was consistently applied across all your methods classes at your school, then there's nothing wrong with it. It's not usually how reading time works, but there's nothing against getting a tutor to go over questions if they were able to memorise them.

My teacher said it was the first time we were given reading time prior to the sac in our school. They usually do it like an exam - reading right before writing time. I will perhaps bring up the concept of reading time before the actual sac to my coordinator. I doubt he would do anything... should I just leave it at that if nothing is done about it or should I approach VCAA?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 05:32:06 pm »
+11
My teacher said it was the first time we were given reading time prior to the sac in our school. They usually do it like an exam - reading right before writing time. I will perhaps bring up the concept of reading time before the actual sac to my coordinator. I doubt he would do anything... should I just leave it at that if nothing is done about it or should I approach VCAA?

and it should be the last. I would definitely speak with a VCE Coordinator or somebody who understands the VCAA rules regarding this because they'll be able to speak with your teacher / whoever told them to do this and remind them of their obligation to provide consistent opportunities for all students undertaking the same study.

In terms of contacting VCAA, provided they have allowed everybody the 2 days + the SAC meets the study design, really not too much that can be done.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 05:46:25 pm »
+11
Hi Atar Notes,

I done a methods sac a few weeks ago. We were given reading time for 15 minutes 2 days before the sac. From this, people memorised the questions and noted it down as soon as we had the chance to. When they went home, most of the class got their tutors to give full solutions to the questions and wrote them all down on their bound references. On the day of the sac, they just copied it down... Surely this isn't fair?
I did share my input on the sac with some classmates but didn't involve a third party (tutor/teacher). We received our results and there's a major gap between my score and those who got their tutors to do it. What can I do in this situation?

Thanks.
Firstly, why would any teacher do this???

Yes, it is very unfair but it may not be cheating if your school allows it.

However, it may be cheating if you are not allowed to memorise questions from the test (e.g. most university exams) but this would be basically impossible to regulate.

FortniteGode876

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 06:04:11 pm »
So I think we were advised not to memorise but instead to absorb the idea of the sac but people memorised and gave the questions to tutors who solved it in depth for them.
I think they realised the discrepancy in marks since my next sac will be a normal sac - reading time before writing time.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 06:08:31 pm »
+1
My class had the SAC just recently - we were given it over the course of a week, as in given the entire thing up front, we weren't allowed to take it home (or anything from it) but we could take our CAS home and I checked, it was perfectly allowable to note it down on the CAS if we wanted and work it out at home (one student actually wrote everything down and worked it at home). This is what they have done for several years at my school. So for instance, we had a couple of days between two classes, so there was ample time to do it.
So not exactly the same or nearly as unfair, but still, you're not the only ones.
Since when do teachers expect students to abide by the advice - when it's not actual rules - in that case??
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 06:11:25 pm »
+6
we were advised not to memorise but instead to absorb the idea of the sac
This is hilarious. Assuming every student will simply do this in an already heavily competitive system is absurd.

Definitely go have a chat with somebody at your school. It is a terrible way to conduct a SAC.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 06:13:53 pm »
+1
This is hilarious. Assuming every student will simply do this in an already heavily competitive system is absurd.

Definitely go have a chat with somebody at your school. It is a terrible way to conduct a SAC.
Seconded.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

FortniteGode876

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 06:22:04 pm »
My class had the SAC just recently - we were given it over the course of a week, as in given the entire thing up front, we weren't allowed to take it home (or anything from it) but we could take our CAS home and I checked, it was perfectly allowable to note it down on the CAS if we wanted and work it out at home (one student actually wrote everything down and worked it at home). This is what they have done for several years at my school. So for instance, we had a couple of days between two classes, so there was ample time to do it.
So not exactly the same or nearly as unfair, but still, you're not the only ones.
Since when do teachers expect students to abide by the advice - when it's not actual rules - in that case??

Oh wow. I'm so disheartened as this was worth 22% and the next one is only 12%

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 06:29:27 pm »
+6
Don't be disheartened. Yes, this SAC was worth 22%. But don't forget the other 78% still to come!! Oh yeah, and if you study and get higher, remember, pretty sure that the exam will moderate everything, so if their marks were all haywire, it should be fixed by that.
So don't be disheartened, don't forget the other 78% :)
I'm sure that you can do this if you try (for some interpretation of 'this' :P)
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

FortniteGode876

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 06:32:56 pm »

Sure, thank you. I actually informed one of the teachers before we were given reading time that it's not a good idea to conduct it in that fashion but she said that it's good for students to read it before anyone gets shocked and mentioned something about "comprehension". When the marks were released, there was a clear inconsistency in marks - those who are relatively weak in the subject ended up attaining top ranks.

Since the next sac will be conducted in a normal manner, with reading time on the same day as writing time, it will likely be a better indicator for students' performances. Should I wait to potentially use that as support for my argument that the reading time given in the first sac hindered the indication of a students' ability or should I point out the fact that students who memorised the sac 'cheated' by asking their tutors for assistance for the actual sac?

As mentioned above, I am extremely saddened since this sac alone was worth 22% meaning it's very difficult for me to climb the ranks in the next and only sac (worth 12%).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:35:29 pm by FortniteGode876 »

FortniteGode876

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 06:38:27 pm »
Don't be disheartened. Yes, this SAC was worth 22%. But don't forget the other 78% still to come!! Oh yeah, and if you study and get higher, remember, pretty sure that the exam will moderate everything, so if their marks were all haywire, it should be fixed by that.
So don't be disheartened, don't forget the other 78% :)
I'm sure that you can do this if you try (for some interpretation of 'this' :P)

I am eager to work hard throughout the year but unfortunately I'm now ranked in the middle of the cohort with the people above me are all the weaker students (no offence) meaning if I outscore them in the exam by a large amount, then they will end up with a higher score and I will be dragged down :(( Unless I have misunderstood the ranking progress...

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 06:39:56 pm »
+7
Still you can but try. Also talk to your school... probably now, while it's fresh in memories, then maybe come back to it if it isn't fixed, when you go to do the next SAC, and say 'see, proof'.
I get the comprehension thing though, my entire class didn't do much in the first class we had on it (we had four) because we were all in shock, 'twas so different from what we'd been given as practice (practice was all shapes and stuff and then we went wait, now we use cross country runners at such a speed, etc., in the SAC?).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:41:38 pm by The Cat In The Hat »
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 06:48:22 pm »

Doesn’t that mean there’s no spread of students for your sacs and at the end of the year if everyone does poorly on the exam they’ll scale down??? How does your school usually do?
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝