Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:31:17 am

Author Topic: Textbook Notes?  (Read 619 times)  Share 

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
Textbook Notes?
« on: February 09, 2019, 11:07:31 am »
Hi guys,
Just wondering if I could get your advice as to whether or not to bother taking textbook notes for all of the methods theory, then rewriting it back into my summary book, or whether it's better to just do it straight into the summary so I can spend more time doing questions during the year?
A few of my friends are doing notes from both Jacplus and Cambridge and then combining them and rewriting into their summary but is it easier just to do it straight into the summary without redoing it all?
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Textbook Notes?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 11:10:34 am »
+2
I did mine straight into my summary but I don't think it matters too much

huity

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 12:45:11 pm »
+1
Hi guys,
Just wondering if I could get your advice as to whether or not to bother taking textbook notes for all of the methods theory, then rewriting it back into my summary book, or whether it's better to just do it straight into the summary so I can spend more time doing questions during the year?
A few of my friends are doing notes from both Jacplus and Cambridge and then combining them and rewriting into their summary but is it easier just to do it straight into the summary without redoing it all?

I think both have its merits, but I'll share my experience  :D

I wrote notes from the Cambridge textbook and other resources throughout the year (as well as doing a ton of practice questions) in preparation for SACs.

Come exam time though, I preferred making one-page summaries with key points and common mistakes for each topic. I thought it was pointless to use my notes from the year, when I already knew and memorised most of what was is in them. Having a chunky bound reference filled with superfluous information would only slow me down in the exam!   

AlphaZero

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • \[\Gamma(z)\Gamma(1-z)=\frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi z)}\]
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 06:27:19 pm »
+4
Hi guys,

Here are a couple of questions for you to ponder about:
> What do you stand to gain by rewriting all your notes into another book?
> What is worth more: rewriting a page of notes about a concept or nailing five questions on that concept?
> Who will be sitting your exam 2: you or your summary book?

(I think it's pretty clear what I'm getting at)

Rewriting notes is a gargantuan waste of time.

Take notes once and use them to aid you in answering questions should you need the help. If you need to come back to notes you have written previously to make some changes or add something, then do just that - don't rewrite them.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 06:28:52 pm by dantraicos »
2015\(-\)2017:  VCE
2018\(-\)2021:  Bachelor of Biomedicine and Mathematical Sciences Diploma, University of Melbourne