Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 03:14:25 am

Author Topic: How to study for the Legal Studies exam?  (Read 1383 times)  Share 

whitecatdisguised

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
How to study for the Legal Studies exam?
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:50:04 pm »
So the Legal Studies exam is approaching our way, and I'm currently overwhelmed by the amount of content that is needed to be covered.

I'm currently trying to break down the content, but I'm still not confident about the way I study.

Any pointers will be helpful :) Thank you.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
Re: How to study for the Legal Studies exam?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:05:02 pm »
Each to their own. I've made notes progressively throughout the year, so in that regard, I've been reading over my notes. I've done a few exams as well. I would try to do a full exam; mark it, see what your weak areas are and work from there. There is no point memorising slabs of information if you don't get it. The fundamental key is understanding the key concepts/info in my opinion. Also, I would re-read chapters or areas which you're not confident in and take dot-points down as a starting point.

The bit in bold might be of use to you. Another ATARNotes user, cltf, told me this: try doing an exam without referring to your notes or the textbook as a 'diagnostic' test; to see where you need to improve on. If you're really struggling with a certain topic or area - read over it again to make sure you fully understand it. Then, move on. To me at least, there is no point in just 'spamming' exams if you continue to get the same things wrong. So yeh, try to do as much of an exam as you can and go from there. In regards to notes, I would just continue to refine them. I don't see any point in making notes for areas or topics which you already know well. As this stage, I would spend the majority of my time doing practice exams. This is just my take on things, others may have different opinions. Best of luck.

whitecatdisguised

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:12:11 pm »
Thanks epl :)
But what if there are many topics I need to touch up on? I have a basic understanding, however, probably not sufficient enough to do well in the exam.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:00 pm »
Read the textbook. It's better to have a thorough understanding of the key concepts and information, rather than just blindly do an exam. Work through it logically; bit by bit each day. Keep at it and you'll surprise yourself at the end of the year. Perseverance pays off. I'm by no means an expert, so you don't have to agree with all my advice (I'm also doing Legal Studies this year).

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 07:15:23 pm »
+1
Also, another thing that may help you is to refer to the study design. With the changes this year to the course, it helps to refer to the new study design. I would look over each area of study and their dot points. VCAA can only test what is on the study design. Nothing else. If you know and understand all the dot points in the study design, then you’ll go a long way to doing well. Refer to this.