Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:40:32 am

Author Topic: King Asoka - Buddhism  (Read 5460 times)  Share 

roshanajabbour

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
King Asoka - Buddhism
« on: October 11, 2016, 06:53:34 pm »
When doing King Asoka during class, i seemed to struggle to answer questions about him and his contributions to Buddhism.

emilyf

• Fresh Poster
Re: King Asoka - Buddhism
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:48:41 pm »
+2
When doing King Asoka during class, i seemed to struggle to answer questions about him and his contributions to Buddhism.

I personally don't do Buddhism, however I similarly struggled with my significant person for Islam, so here are some tips that should hopefully help -

Because of the structure of the SOR course you don't have to write an essay about a topic you are uncomfortable with, ie, if the Buddhism essay requires you to write about your significant person, you can choose another religious tradition and answer Buddhism for the short answer. This way, you can write a shorter, more succinct answer, which will be easier than an essay.

I'd recommend finding two seminal things that King Asoka did and know them well. To specify how these things were a contribution to Buddhism, and why they were significant, see if you can draw them to the Principal Beliefs.
Eg; King Asoka did ... It was through this that Asoka manifested the Buddhist principal belief of ... Thus, through (contribution), Asoka provided a model for adherents/provided adherents with guidance, etc.
This tends to stand out more than the contribution of simply 'spreading' a religious tradition, and indicates a more in-depth knowledge.

This I at least what I did for my person and it worked.
If you need more information here's a few links;
http://mmccyear11-12studiesofreligion2u.weebly.com/buddhism-depth-study.html
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=DeM0rKtXqTgC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=king+asoka+buddhism+sor&source=bl&ots=pHDA9yZ8Zo&sig=89wempCWT7HcoRErZqXewtdP2o8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0lsP_0uHPAhWM14MKHXX3BL0Q6AEILDAD#v=onepage&q=king%20asoka%20buddhism%20sor&f=false
And this is an exemplary response from bostes; http://arc2.bostes.nsw.edu.au/view/byband/course/15370/question/1126/response/20938

student123456

• Adventurer
  • School: Brigidine College Randwick
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: King Asoka - Buddhism
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 11:02:23 pm »
+2
I personally don't do Buddhism, however I similarly struggled with my significant person for Islam, so here are some tips that should hopefully help -

Because of the structure of the SOR course you don't have to write an essay about a topic you are uncomfortable with, ie, if the Buddhism essay requires you to write about your significant person, you can choose another religious tradition and answer Buddhism for the short answer. This way, you can write a shorter, more succinct answer, which will be easier than an essay.

I'd recommend finding two seminal things that King Asoka did and know them well. To specify how these things were a contribution to Buddhism, and why they were significant, see if you can draw them to the Principal Beliefs.
Eg; King Asoka did ... It was through this that Asoka manifested the Buddhist principal belief of ... Thus, through (contribution), Asoka provided a model for adherents/provided adherents with guidance, etc.
This tends to stand out more than the contribution of simply 'spreading' a religious tradition, and indicates a more in-depth knowledge.

This I at least what I did for my person and it worked.
If you need more information here's a few links;
http://mmccyear11-12studiesofreligion2u.weebly.com/buddhism-depth-study.html
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=DeM0rKtXqTgC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=king+asoka+buddhism+sor&source=bl&ots=pHDA9yZ8Zo&sig=89wempCWT7HcoRErZqXewtdP2o8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0lsP_0uHPAhWM14MKHXX3BL0Q6AEILDAD#v=onepage&q=king%20asoka%20buddhism%20sor&f=false
And this is an exemplary response from bostes; http://arc2.bostes.nsw.edu.au/view/byband/course/15370/question/1126/response/20938

Hey, I can try and help!
What you should probably include are:

Asoka's initiation character: the bloodthirsty, savage, military conquerer
His transition: noticing the aftermath of the Battle Of Kalinga - "what have I done?" - rhetorical question ephasises the sorrow and regret of his action
His consequent character: one of love, compassion, generosity etc.

His impacts:
- wrote edicts which outlined how to live an ethical (sila) Buddhist life - e.g. hist First Rock Edict "no animals are to be slaughtered"
- made donations to the Sangha which allowed them to build and maintain the strong structural framework of the Sangha
- made donations to the poor and sick (dana; generosity)   
- created pilgrimage sites for adherents
- wrote edicts with symbols and picture so that the uneducated could also gain wisdom (prajna) and right understanding (Eightfold Path) 
- converted his empire to vegetarianism, as to abide by the first precept - "abstain from killing sentient beings"
- conducted missionary journies, not to proselytize (Asoka believed that all faiths had the core belief of love and compassion (metta) and that every individual had personal religious needs), but to spread his knowledge of Buddhism and teach adherents about the Dharma and the Vinaya Pittaka

Significance:
- Asoka's early conquest of nations allowed these locations to be subsequent missionary sites, thus, he contributed to the prevalence and popularity of Buddhism in Eastern Asia
- His edicts allowed Buddhists of his time (around 300-200 B.C) to deepen their faith and have clear guidelines on the ethical way of life
- His edicts are still reflected upon by today's Buddhists for moral guidance
- The inclusive nature of Buddhism allowed many marginalised people to escape from the caste system
- His encouraged ethical practices are still followed by many Buddhists and nations (e.g vegetarianism, no sacrificing animals, "thou shalt not take what is not given to them" etc.)

Hope this helps a bit as a raw outline :D