Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:01:47 pm

Author Topic: Religion and Belief Systems in Australia post-1945  (Read 22199 times)  Share 

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
Religion and Belief Systems in Australia post-1945
« on: January 28, 2016, 07:04:52 pm »
+6
Hey guys,

By now most of us 2016 Religion kids will have finished the first topic 'Religion and Belief Systems in Australia post-1945' so it'd be awesome to start getting some resources together to help us all revise and study for half yearlies coming up soonish :) :)

Here's a 5 mark question my teacher gave me about Aboriginal Land Rights and beliefs, and my 5/5 response to it (marked/edited by my HSC marker teacher).

Explain how Aboriginal beliefs about land contributed to the Land Rights Movement. (5 marks)

The Aboriginal belief system concerning the land contributed heavily to the Land Rights Movement as it the land is inextricably connected to Aboriginal spirituality and the Dreaming. The Land Rights Movement was a response of Aboriginal people to the European’s poor treatment of the land and the lack of recognition of traditional ownership.

The land is the basis for the strong connection held with the ancestral beings providing them with links to the Dreaming as well as kinship bonds and totems. Without the land Aboriginal people are unable to stay connected to their ancestors through ceremonies, such as corroborees, and also cannot preserve and celebrate sacred sites. Many Aboriginal people refer to the land as “My Mother”, demonstrating a deep spiritual connection which explains the passionate motives behind the Land Rights Movement.

The Land Rights Movement was both a religious and political movement to secure the rights of Aboriginal people to their land and culture. From the 1960s onwards, many tribes attempted to reclaim their land to be able to reconnect with their spirituality. The High Court “Mabo” decision in 1992 which granted the Merian people traditional land rights to the Murray Islands was a major breakthrough, overturning the legal fiction of terra nullius. This led to the introduction of the Native Title Act 1993. Following this, the Wik people also claimed native title over traditional lands on the Cape York Peninsula in Queensland in 1996.

Therefore it is evident that the connection to the land through Aboriginal spirituality significantly contributed to the Land Rights Movement.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:26:09 pm by ssarahj »
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Religion and Belief Systems in Australia post-1945
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:43:14 pm »
Damn right we have wonderful people right here! Thanks Sarah ;)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

tahmina

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 03:26:47 pm »
+2

your a blessing thank you !

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:13:15 pm »
+3
This was my response to a 10 mark question (I was given 9/10) :) Hope it helps with trials coming up, since for a lot of people they haven't even looked at this stuff for over a term! It's not perfect, but it was marked by the teacher who taught the person that came first in the state for SOR1 last year, so it should be pretty accurate. (btw I don't think they have 10 markers in the actual exams, this was just an assessment task last year).

With reference to Paul Keating’s Redfern Speech, discuss the continuing effect of dispossession on Aboriginal spiritualities.

The dispossession of Aboriginal people has had a continuing effect on Aboriginal spirituality. Dispossession in terms of Aboriginal Australians can be defined as their forced removal from their land, security, way of life and culture, which occurred after the British fleet arrived in 1788 and declared Australia to be “terra nullius.” The effects of dispossession on Aboriginal spirituality can still be seen today through impact of the Aboriginal peoples separation from Land, Kinship groups and The Stolen Generations.

The continuing effect of dispossession on Aboriginal spiritualities is clear through the Aboriginal peoples separation from the land. According to past Prime Minister Paul Keating during his Redfern speech in 1992, “We took the traditional lands and smashed the traditional way of life”. As the Dreaming (the centre point of all Aboriginal spirituality) is so inextricably connected to the land (due to the immanent world view that the Ancestor Beings live within the land), the loss of land as a result of dispossession leads to a loss of identity, community, and the ability to fulfil ritual responsibilities.
During the protection policies on the 1890s through to the 1950s, many Aboriginal Australians were separated from their land and put on reserves (government run) and missions (church run). This had a devastating effect on their sense of identity and community as it restricted their mobility (something that Indigenous Australians were used to) and access to sacred sites. Aboriginal Australian’s relied on continual access to the land, particularly to sacred sites, in order to perform traditional ceremonies and rituals, two key aspects of Aboriginal spirituality, that aided in shaping an individuals identity and roles within a community, such as ceremonial initiation. “Imagine if our spiritual life was denied and ridiculed” Without this continual access to the land (along with the suppression of Aboriginal Spirituality while living on reserves/missions) these ceremonies were unable to take place and therefore the spiritual and cultural basis for an individual’s identity and role within their community was heavily disrupted, causing a many Indigenous individuals to feel isolated from their culture and community.
This is also evident today, with the high incarceration rates of Aboriginal Australians (28% of Australia’s prison population, while only representing 3% of the Australian population) restricting many Aboriginal Australians from fulfilling their ceremonial duties, as they are unable to access the land. This shows the effects of separating an Aboriginal Australian from the land on their spirituality as a continuing effect of dispossession.

The separation of one from their kinship group also represents another critical effect of dispossession on Aboriginal spiritualities. Kinship was a system of law and point of fixture that governed all social interactions between Aboriginal Australians, particularly marriage, and was integral to Aboriginal culture and spirituality. Each Indigenous Australian belongs to a kinship group, which aside from dictating social interaction also provide an indigenous Australian with family and community, enabling Aboriginal Australians to pass on their language, Dreaming stories, traditional practices, laws and ritual responsibilities onto the next generation.
By separating an Aboriginal person for their kinship group, you separate them from their family, community and support system, leaving many to feel isolated. During the protection and assimilation policies, Indigenous Australians were purposely separated from their kinship groups and clans in order to effectively destroy and suppress their culture. This is due to the fact that by separating kinship groups, not only did they lose their ability to meet and perform important kinship rituals and ceremonies, but also their language ties, the way they pass on the Dreaming, was severed. This has led to an isolation of both community and culture, which has further disturbed many Aboriginal Australians sense of identity. In this way, it is evident that dispossession through the separation from Kinship groups has had a continuing effect on Aboriginal spiritualities.

The continuing effect of dispossession on Aboriginal spiritualities is evident through the continual effects of the Stolen Generations on the children, parents and communities involved. “We took children from their mothers,” the Stolen Generations is the term used to describe the forceful removal of Aboriginal children from their family and community during the policies of protection and assimilation. The effects of this were detrimental to the stolen children, as not only (in many cases) did they suffer physical and sexual abuse from their new families or at the missions and reserves, but also many suffer to this day from a severe identity crisis due to the fact that they never knew their family or the culture they belong to. The communities also suffered greatly at they were now unable to pass on their culture and spirituality to the next generation, causing a loss of culture and spirituality on a grand scale. Many Indigenous Australians that were taken during this time never regained contact with their families, and many of the ones that did found that they could no longer communicate with them due to the language not being passed down to the child. This isolation from community and culture has led to many of the stolen children, as adults to suffer from psychological illness and distress, such as depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This lack of community and family creates a lack of a reliable support system, which consequentially led many Indigenous Australians to look for support and relief elsewhere, leading many to substance abuse and alcoholism. Therefore, it is evident that the Stolen Generations represents a continuing effect of dispossession on Aboriginal Spiritualities.

Through the Stolen Generations and the separation for kinship group and land, it is clear that dispossession, whereby Aboriginal people were forcibly removed from their land, security, way of life and culture, has had a critical and continuing effect on Aboriginal spirituality and therefore on the Australian identity, as, according to Paul Keating, “the plight of Aboriginal Australians affects us all.”

Hope this helps! Good luck with trials everyone :D
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

ssarahj

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 08:59:08 am »
this looks so awesome sudodds thankyou!! however you are correct in saying that there are no 10 mark questions for this topic; only one 5 marker in the exam :)
6th in NSW for SOR 2

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 01:18:34 pm »
This was my response to a 10 mark question (I was given 9/10) :) Hope it helps with trials coming up, since for a lot of people they haven't even looked at this stuff for over a term! It's not perfect, but it was marked by the teacher who taught the person that came first in the state for SOR1 last year, so it should be pretty accurate. (btw I don't think they have 10 markers in the actual exams, this was just an assessment task last year).

Go you! Thanks for sharing!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

CinnamonTea

• Adventurer
  • School: Prairie wood High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 12:54:08 am »
+2
When looking at continuing effects of dispossession:
1. Define dispossession: removal of Aboriginal people from their land and placed onto missionaries.
2. Link to land: this was detrimental as the land is inextricably linked to their Dreaming
3. Link to impact: Aboriginal people lost their connection to their ancestors, lost access to sacred sites which contained secret sacred knowledge, loss of languages as the elders could no longer pass their knowledge to the children
4. Continuing effect: the stolen Generation are still currently trying to track their families, Aboriginal people suffer from lower life expectancy, higher mental health issues, higher crime rates

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 05:28:55 pm »
this topic is extremely hard, well for me, any advise ?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 10:39:29 pm »

Hey Tahmina! Any particular part of it giving you trouble? Any specific question types?  :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 07:33:36 am »

Feel free to pm me if you dont want to talk about it on the forums :) but the forums are the best way to learn, many people to learn from and noone judges!! If you tell me what depth studies you are doing, then I can see what i can help you with (and elyse has done like all the ethics and rituals so she'll help you a lot).

Also if you are an SOR II student, I have just done religion and peace and working through Religion amd Non religion so its all fresh in my mind :)

So go on, what are you waiting for? Get posting today! ;) ;D
(Sorry if that last bit seemed like an advert lol)

victoriad98

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 06:06:29 pm »
+1
you lifesaver!! thanks  :D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 03:23:20 pm »
+3
I found this article to be really interesting! It discusses the Jedi rise in the census in 2001. It's a good read, and shines some light on the census data that we have to try make sense of!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 12:49:14 pm »

With reference to Paul Keating’s Redfern Speech, discuss the continuing effect of dispossession on Aboriginal spiritualities.

The dispossession of Aboriginal people has had a continuing effect on Aboriginal spirituality. Dispossession in terms of Aboriginal Australians can be defined as their forced removal from their land, security, way of life and culture, which occurred after the British fleet arrived in 1788 and declared Australia to be “terra nullius.” The effects of dispossession on Aboriginal spirituality can still be seen today through impact of the Aboriginal peoples separation from Land, Kinship groups and The Stolen Generations.

The continuing effect of dispossession on Aboriginal spiritualities is clear through the Aboriginal peoples separation from the land. According to past Prime Minister Paul Keating during his Redfern speech in 1992, “We took the traditional lands and smashed the traditional way of life”. As the Dreaming (the centre point of all Aboriginal spirituality) is so inextricably connected to the land (due to the immanent world view that the Ancestor Beings live within the land), the loss of land as a result of dispossession leads to a loss of identity, community, and the ability to fulfil ritual responsibilities.
During the protection policies on the 1890s through to the 1950s, many Aboriginal Australians were separated from their land and put on reserves (government run) and missions (church run). This had a devastating effect on their sense of identity and community as it restricted their mobility (something that Indigenous Australians were used to) and access to sacred sites. Aboriginal Australian’s relied on continual access to the land, particularly to sacred sites, in order to perform traditional ceremonies and rituals, two key aspects of Aboriginal spirituality, that aided in shaping an individuals identity and roles within a community, such as ceremonial initiation. “Imagine if our spiritual life was denied and ridiculed” Without this continual access to the land (along with the suppression of Aboriginal Spirituality while living on reserves/missions) these ceremonies were unable to take place and therefore the spiritual and cultural basis for an individual’s identity and role within their community was heavily disrupted, causing a many Indigenous individuals to feel isolated from their culture and community.
This is also evident today, with the high incarceration rates of Aboriginal Australians (28% of Australia’s prison population, while only representing 3% of the Australian population) restricting many Aboriginal Australians from fulfilling their ceremonial duties, as they are unable to access the land. This shows the effects of separating an Aboriginal Australian from the land on their spirituality as a continuing effect of dispossession.

The separation of one from their kinship group also represents another critical effect of dispossession on Aboriginal spiritualities. Kinship was a system of law and point of fixture that governed all social interactions between Aboriginal Australians, particularly marriage, and was integral to Aboriginal culture and spirituality. Each Indigenous Australian belongs to a kinship group, which aside from dictating social interaction also provide an indigenous Australian with family and community, enabling Aboriginal Australians to pass on their language, Dreaming stories, traditional practices, laws and ritual responsibilities onto the next generation.
By separating an Aboriginal person for their kinship group, you separate them from their family, community and support system, leaving many to feel isolated. During the protection and assimilation policies, Indigenous Australians were purposely separated from their kinship groups and clans in order to effectively destroy and suppress their culture. This is due to the fact that by separating kinship groups, not only did they lose their ability to meet and perform important kinship rituals and ceremonies, but also their language ties, the way they pass on the Dreaming, was severed. This has led to an isolation of both community and culture, which has further disturbed many Aboriginal Australians sense of identity. In this way, it is evident that dispossession through the separation from Kinship groups has had a continuing effect on Aboriginal spiritualities.

The continuing effect of dispossession on Aboriginal spiritualities is evident through the continual effects of the Stolen Generations on the children, parents and communities involved. “We took children from their mothers,” the Stolen Generations is the term used to describe the forceful removal of Aboriginal children from their family and community during the policies of protection and assimilation. The effects of this were detrimental to the stolen children, as not only (in many cases) did they suffer physical and sexual abuse from their new families or at the missions and reserves, but also many suffer to this day from a severe identity crisis due to the fact that they never knew their family or the culture they belong to. The communities also suffered greatly at they were now unable to pass on their culture and spirituality to the next generation, causing a loss of culture and spirituality on a grand scale. Many Indigenous Australians that were taken during this time never regained contact with their families, and many of the ones that did found that they could no longer communicate with them due to the language not being passed down to the child. This isolation from community and culture has led to many of the stolen children, as adults to suffer from psychological illness and distress, such as depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This lack of community and family creates a lack of a reliable support system, which consequentially led many Indigenous Australians to look for support and relief elsewhere, leading many to substance abuse and alcoholism. Therefore, it is evident that the Stolen Generations represents a continuing effect of dispossession on Aboriginal Spiritualities.

Through the Stolen Generations and the separation for kinship group and land, it is clear that dispossession, whereby Aboriginal people were forcibly removed from their land, security, way of life and culture, has had a critical and continuing effect on Aboriginal spirituality and therefore on the Australian identity, as, according to Paul Keating, “the plight of Aboriginal Australians affects us all.”

Could they actually give us a question like this........ :-[
Did HSC in 2016 and was first person to get 100. Aeronautical engineering for me now :P
  <-- CLICK ME

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 01:32:24 pm »

They probably could, but it definately wouldn't need to be this long. This was a 10 marker for an assessment task, the ones in the exam will be a 5 marker.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

ssarahj

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 03:13:06 pm »

They probably could, but it definately wouldn't need to be this long. This was a 10 marker for an assessment task, the ones in the exam will be a 5 marker.

sudodds is correct, the 2015 HSC 5 mark question for this section was very similar to this  :)
6th in NSW for SOR 2