Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:30:46 am

Poll

MHS vs JMSS

MHS
13 (43.3%)
JMSS
17 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: MHS vs JMSS  (Read 3030 times)  Share 

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
MHS vs JMSS
« on: November 27, 2020, 11:29:31 pm »
Hi everyone,

I got a late offer at MHS today and I was just wondering is MHS better than JMSS. I am a bit confused about what school to chose.  MHS has a good reputation but you can't accelerate anything apart from Music unit 1/2 in year 10. At JMSS I made the methods class and I am doing units 1/2 in year 10.

Every response is helpful,

MAN0033

p0kem0n21

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
Re: MHS vs JMSS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 10:51:03 am »
+7
Hi everyone,

I got a late offer at MHS today and I was just wondering is MHS better than JMSS. I am a bit confused about what school to chose.  MHS has a good reputation but you can't accelerate anything apart from Music unit 1/2 in year 10. At JMSS I made the methods class and I am doing units 1/2 in year 10.

Every response is helpful,

MAN0033

Hey MAN0033! The better school depends on several factors. For example, what VCE subjects are you planning on doing? Whilst you don't need to know exactly what subjects you will be doing for year 11, it is helpful in this decision. Both schools do pretty well in science and maths subjects (with the exception of MHS physics and sometimes MHS biology which perform terribly, although the latter seems to be improving). However, MHS completely overpowers JMSS in nearly all humanities and English subjects, and has a much broader range of humanities subjects than JMSS. Sure, you may not care about humanities subjects, but the fact that MHS performs better in English subjects is important considering that it is always a 'top four' subject. I don't think JMSS is that bad at English either, but it is worse than MHS.

As for the lack of 1/2s in year 10 MHS, yeah, it definitely sucks. However, MHS does still offer 3/4 subjects in year 11 for subjects whose 1/2s are unnecessary (e.g. bio, psych, accounting, busman). The year 10 maths curriculum at MHS is pretty much a watered down version of methods 1/2 with the removal of calculus, but you'll find A LOT of students who are wayyyyy accelerated at maths and who can definitely help you. You can even get in contact with the year 11 students too, if you make the effort to ask.

With year 10 electives, I believe JMSS definitely has the upper hand. They have so many cool electives and many of them delve into VCE knowledge. MHS electives, in comparison, are not great. There is minimal breadth in these subjects, particularly in the science/maths area. MHS only has psych (which isn't actually that bad, I've heard) and systems engineering (apparently a bit boring/tedious) as science/maths electives. They have a range of humanities electives though, such as literature and some music stuff. A personal piece of advice: don't do Ethics and the Law if you decide to go to MHS. It's really just ethics, and in term 2 we had to write 4k word documents every fortnight. Not fun. There are also a bunch of arts electives (e.g. media, photography, architecture, computer art design) which I personally found to be a waste of time, but you might enjoy them.

As for culture, I can't speak for JMSS, but many people sum up MHS as "yeah the boys". I know, it sounds a bit stupid, but it's really true. Everyone, literally everyone, will help you in some way or another if you need help. Everyone's super supportive. Not much bullying (there are some passive things meant to be taken as jokes, which most usually understand). I can't really elaborate further.

MHS overall has better facilities too. A bunch of sports grounds and a whole oval. JMSS has a wimpy basketball court and Monash uni. You decide which is better (okay, I am a bit jealous of the JMSS science labs, but still....).

In terms of transport, MHS is literally right beside South Yarra station, just takes a little walk. For JMSS, I know most kids get off at Huntingdale station, and then take the bus (?). Much more tedious imo. Of course, the better school in this case depends on where you live, which determines the travel times for both MHS and JMSS. Short travel times are really important, especially in VCE.

Both schools have lots of extracurriculars and competitions, although I believe JMSS has some science-based extracurriculars too. Your preference here, they're virtually the same (although MHS pretends that they're superior to other schools in their extracurriculars).

I think another piece of advice I should give for MHS is that you shouldn't expect much from your teachers, particularly in year 10. Some of them aren't that good at teaching. Some of them don't teach. Some of them are unclear. Some of them don't turn up half of the time. There's a lot of self-learning involved, which is a pretty useful skill, but still makes things difficult. The staff always change too. I know a class which had 3 different English teachers and 2 different maths teachers this year and another class with 2 science teachers and 2 form (homeroom) teachers. So yeah, that happens. Not sure about JMSS staff. However, the good teachers are really suited towards teaching boys in comparison to classes with boys and girls (sorry if I am conforming to binary genders here), so that is a plus.

All-in-all, both schools are really good. I might be missing a few relevant things, yet you'll do great in either school as long as you put in the effort.

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 05:37:35 pm »
Thank you for your response. MHS is a bit further away from my house but my parents are ready to move. I have heard lots of great things about MHS but I have heard JMSS teachers are better and lots of people have told me that my career pathway is suited towards JMSS.

seojoonlee

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 05:26:16 pm »
Have you chosen which school to go to?

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 11:01:34 pm »
I chose JMSS for several reasons.

The convenience. My mum and dad can pick me up.
The location is closer to my home
My future career is also suited to JMSS standards.
JMSS has exceptional science electives and resources
I got a VCE 1/2 subject in JMSS
Also, I have commitments and need to focus on those to relieve myself from my studies.

Also, my mum didn't like the idea of me going to MHS and has loads of her workmates' sons go there and they felt very pressurized and stressed. Which I don't want.