Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:07:44 pm

Author Topic: Doing commerce but hate math  (Read 1387 times)  Share 

ilikenoodlez

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Doing commerce but hate math
« on: December 16, 2018, 01:32:37 am »
Hi
i'm considering doing commerce at monash/melb but i was wondering if this is a good idea or not considering i hated methods (but liked further). is liking/being good at maths relevant to commerce or no? also i didn't do any business subjects either. thanks

Chelsea f.c.

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: Doing commerce but hate math
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 01:40:19 am »
not liking maths methods may rule out actuarial studies, economics and finance. But look into accounting, management, marketing or business studies
Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) Finance - UoM - 2019
Bachelor of Commerce - Economics and Finance - UoM - 2015 - 2018
Diploma in Mathematical Sciences - Statistics and Stochastic Processes - UoM - 2015 - 2018

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:07:50 pm »
+1
Hi
i'm considering doing commerce at monash/melb but i was wondering if this is a good idea or not considering i hated methods (but liked further). is liking/being good at maths relevant to commerce or no? also i didn't do any business subjects either. thanks

Just because you hated methods also doesn't necessarily mean you hated maths, especially if you liked further. Maths in the setting of Commerce is obviously going to be a lot more applied, which you might find you end up liking.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 01:33:41 pm »
+2
Hi

Hi there =)

To address your concerns:
1. One does not need to be good at maths to do commerce, but it depends on your majors
2. You do not need to have done any business subjects

According to Monash's website, you only need to have done Mathematical methods  and English. That's about it. Additionally, here are the first 6 units:
ACC1100 Introduction to financial accounting or ACC1200 Accounting for managers
BTC1110 Commercial law
ECC1000 Principles of microeconomics
ETC1000 Business and economic statistics
MGC1010 Introduction to management
MKC1200 Principles of marketing

Management, marketing, law and microeconomics are not mathy at all. They are all theoretical. Business and economic statistics may be a little tricky, but it is restricted to mean, sampling, estimating and single/population statistics (quite basic).

When it comes to majors, you have:
Accounting
Actuarial studies
Behavioural commerce
Business analytics
Business law
Econometrics
Economics
Finance
Management studies
Marketing science
Sustainability

Now, some of these can sound scary, but they aren't really.  Actuarial, Analytics, Econometrics and finance would be the majors that deal with maths as they deal with financial and mathematical modelling (as implied by the names of the majors). Business law, behavioural commerce, management, marketing and sustainability (as from the name), are notably less statistical and moreso theoretical. They deal with laws relating to business, why people buy things, how pricing should be done. Sustainability talks about the economy, organisations and the environment, and how they can coexist.

*Source:  http://www.monash.edu/pubs/handbooks/courses/B2001.html?_ga=2.109454405.1106712874.1544927039-1384172701.1544927039*

The sky is your limit, but yeah! If you aren't good at maths, I wouldn't even attempt actuarial or econometrics.  Here is just one unit for actuarial, followed by economometrics. Give it a go and see how you do! If you don't do well (or don't like it), you can change.
construct risk models involving frequency and severity distributions and calculate the moment generating function and the moments for the risk models both with and without simple reinsurance arrangements

understand and implement likelihood-based hypothesis testing and quasi-maximum likelihood inference
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:41:00 pm by EEEEEEP »