Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:56:21 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 208496 times)  Share 

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #510 on: November 23, 2017, 09:21:53 pm »
+7
Hello again..
Just wondering what advice anyone has on writing conclusions?? This is mine so far for the following question:
Through the process of discovering, individuals are able to renew their perceptions of the world and others.
Discuss this statement with reference to both the stimulus text and AT LEAST ONE Frost prescribed poem of your own choosing.

Conclusion:
As individuals develop an exploratory view on the world around them, they begin to renew their perceptions and see things in different ways. Individuals often begin to accept their position prior to the discovery, but are then triggered by curiosity, and discover something so meaningful. Frost’s poem ‘The Tuft of Flowers’ and the stimulus text both display this process of discovery, through a variety of techniques.

But now how do I finish it off?? Help!!
I think you need to be more speciffic in your conclusion as to what your texts are showing specifically, and also use the name of your related text.
In terms of finishing it off, make sure you link it all back to the question with reference to your argument, to kinda tell the markers "ha! See, I told you so!"

Eg. Through the challenging and shaping of ones views via the process of discovery, individuals are able to undergo character growth. This is evident through Life of Pi as Pi's acceptance of discovery and willingness to learn, allows him to change his circumstances and grow as an individual. This is contrasted through Ruby Moon in which Ray and Sylvie's lack of fresh discoveries leaves them trapped in their situation and allows for no charachter growth, and instead it is the audience that undergoes a transformative process. Therefore our personal development Is undoubtedly a consequence of the challenging or reinforcing of ideas via discovery
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #511 on: November 24, 2017, 12:26:14 pm »
+3
I think you need to be more speciffic in your conclusion as to what your texts are showing specifically, and also use the name of your related text.
In terms of finishing it off, make sure you link it all back to the question with reference to your argument, to kinda tell the markers "ha! See, I told you so!"

Eg. Through the challenging and shaping of ones views via the process of discovery, individuals are able to undergo character growth. This is evident through Life of Pi as Pi's acceptance of discovery and willingness to learn, allows him to change his circumstances and grow as an individual. This is contrasted through Ruby Moon in which Ray and Sylvie's lack of fresh discoveries leaves them trapped in their situation and allows for no charachter growth, and instead it is the audience that undergoes a transformative process. Therefore our personal development Is undoubtedly a consequence of the challenging or reinforcing of ideas via discovery
You're on fire potatohater...this is such great advice!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

martinnguyen1778

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #512 on: November 28, 2017, 07:34:39 pm »
Hi guys, I would like to ask a question that hopefully doesn't bother anyone:

Can anyone identify any techniques in this quote?

"Free! Body and soul free!" she kept whispering.

I know there is an exclamation, but if she is whispering loud, would that be an oxymoron?

I hope someone can help me.

Thank you!!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #513 on: November 28, 2017, 07:39:08 pm »
Hi guys, I would like to ask a question that hopefully doesn't bother anyone:

Can anyone identify any techniques in this quote?

"Free! Body and soul free!" she kept whispering.

I know there is an exclamation, but if she is whispering loud, would that be an oxymoron?

I hope someone can help me.

Thank you!!

hi!! no question bothers anyone here - we're all happy to help :-)

you've identified the exclamations, which is awesome. i reckon you could use truncated sentences and repetition (although this one would be stretching it a little). as for the oxymoron, i don't think you can use that as a technique, because we're talking about the technique being in the quote you mentioned. can someone chip in here for what i'm saying? mightn't be right hahaha

hope this helps,
fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

martinnguyen1778

• Adventurer
« Reply #514 on: November 28, 2017, 08:20:24 pm »
hi!! no question bothers anyone here - we're all happy to help :-)

you've identified the exclamations, which is awesome. i reckon you could use truncated sentences and repetition (although this one would be stretching it a little). as for the oxymoron, i don't think you can use that as a technique, because we're talking about the technique being in the quote you mentioned. can someone chip in here for what i'm saying? mightn't be right hahaha

hope this helps,
fantasticbeasts

Thank you very much fantasticbeasts. I appreciate your help!

lindqvistb18

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #515 on: November 29, 2017, 05:37:16 pm »
Hello

I have recently received my 2nd English HSC Assessment task... and i have to find 3 related texts to Robert Frost's poetry.... any ideas out there??

thanks in advance... :)

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #516 on: November 29, 2017, 06:18:26 pm »
+2
Hello

I have recently received my 2nd English HSC Assessment task... and i have to find 3 related texts to Robert Frost's poetry.... any ideas out there??

thanks in advance... :)
Hi and welcome! Are you doing 1 poem or all of them? Because the themes from some related texts will not correlate with every one of his poems.
Regardless, try this thread here. It gives a great list of discovery related texts. I suppose you just need to select texts you feel comfortable analysing, and can understand.
This link here is a guide to choosing the right related text - might come in handy ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:34:44 pm by prickles »

cxtti

• Adventurer
« Reply #517 on: December 02, 2017, 03:17:03 pm »
Hi all! Can someone and help me out with the effects of techniques for the pom After the Flood by John Foulcher?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #518 on: December 02, 2017, 05:27:19 pm »
Hi all! Can someone and help me out with the effects of techniques for the pom After the Flood by John Foulcher?

Hey! Just post the parts of the poem you would like to analyse and we can help you with the techniques and its effects. (im guessing this is your ort for discovery?)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

cxtti

• Adventurer
« Reply #519 on: December 03, 2017, 12:49:21 pm »
Hey! Just post the parts of the poem you would like to analyse and we can help you with the techniques and its effects. (im guessing this is your ort for discovery?)

It's actually for my Module A Distinctively Visual. My assumption is going to be about overcoming hardships and then renewal.
I need help with:
- "Now grass pricks the air again" and
- "The feather juice of mattresses"

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #520 on: December 03, 2017, 09:35:09 pm »
+5
- "Now grass pricks the air again" and

Pricks: personification
Air again: alliteration

- "The feather juice of mattresses"

This could probably be a metaphor/symbolism (feather/juice/mattresses)

But pretty much the 'Distinctively Visual' topic is one of the easiest in the Standard English course because any technique and any text evidence can be uniquely visual and distinctive in their own way. Thus making it easier to analyse quotes and techniques :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #521 on: January 16, 2018, 09:37:21 am »
Hello...

Just wondering what the technique would be in this phrase: (from the story of an hour...)
There was something coming to her and she was waiting for it, fearfully. What was it? She did not know; it was too subtle and elusive to name. But she felt it, creeping out of the sky, reaching toward her through the sounds, the scents, the color that filled the air.

A lot of tension is built up, but that isn't really a technique is it??

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #522 on: January 16, 2018, 09:51:31 am »
+2
Hello...

Just wondering what the technique would be in this phrase: (from the story of an hour...)
There was something coming to her and she was waiting for it, fearfully. What was it? She did not know; it was too subtle and elusive to name. But she felt it, creeping out of the sky, reaching toward her through the sounds, the scents, the color that filled the air.

A lot of tension is built up, but that isn't really a technique is it??
Well, it depends on what you want to extract from that quote but some techniques that pop into mind:

Rhetorical question - "What was it?"
Asyndeton - "the sounds, the scents, the color that filled the air"

Again, I don't exactly know what kind of argument you're trying to drive so I can't help with the analysis. You can find more literary devices here.
Good luck, though!

Gkumar

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #523 on: January 31, 2018, 05:13:54 pm »
Hey, I'm doing my related text using the painting of Albertus Seba
Just asking, for identifying techniques and examples and their effect like do you have any tips on writing everything cohesively and linking it together.
I've found the techniques and the examples but just relating it to discovery and how the composer uses it to deepen our understanding of specific ideas about discovery is just troubling me
Thanks, Grace

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #524 on: January 31, 2018, 05:31:13 pm »
+6
Hey, I'm doing my related text using the painting of Albertus Seba
Just asking, for identifying techniques and examples and their effect like do you have any tips on writing everything cohesively and linking it together.
I've found the techniques and the examples but just relating it to discovery and how the composer uses it to deepen our understanding of specific ideas about discovery is just troubling me
Thanks, Grace

Welcome to the forums Grace!!

I personally try to think of all analysis in three sections, go to TEA for each quote:

Technique: Duh. Give the technique used by the composer.
Explain: Explain why the technique was used (what is the impact, what is the effect?)
Analyse: How does this link to the module? So in our case, we could say the acronym is TED, how does it link to Discovery?

For example:

The use of TECHNIQUE in "....." has THIS EFFECT on the audience which shows us THIS THING about Discovery.

Rinse and repeat! :) I find having these three distinct sections in my head helps me be cohesive, because all you really do is swap the order of things as you write. So the above sentence could be changed to:

The composer shows us THIS THING about Discovery by using TECHNIQUE in "....." which has THIS EFFECT.

Or:

THIS EFFECT is imposed on the audience by the quote "....", where the use of TECHNIQUE shows us THIS THING about Discovery.

Variety without really changing anything at all ;)