Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:38:23 pm

Author Topic: Who here identifies as an introvert?  (Read 1156 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Who here identifies as an introvert?
« on: November 24, 2020, 09:42:00 pm »
+7
Hi there ATARNotes!

I want to ask, How introverted are you?
Just being at a party drains my energy. The only way for me to replenish that energy is to spend loads of time by myself. All alone. I haven't really had many opportunities to practise my social skills. I hardly ever got invited to parties in my high school days. I'm scared to approach people. What if I can't add anything to the conversation? What if it's awkward? What if no one at the gathering shares my interests? Everyone else seems to have someone to talk to, why not me?

I also want to ask, How has lockdown affected your social life?
Initially, I was quite looking forward to being at home. But lately, I have felt this desire to make new friends. It saddens me when I see that my weekends are devoid of social plans. Surely there's a few people out there who can sacrifice their time on a regular basis to spend time with me. (Well, there is one so far. They know who they are).

Finally, would you like to be a more outgoing person? Why?
Yes. In fact, it's one of my major goals at the moment. I'm starting small. I want to get to a stage where I am confident enough to walk into bars regularly (cause I love dancing), and potentially make new friends.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: Who here identifies as an introvert?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 10:18:20 pm »
+4
Me seeing the thread title

I want to ask, How introverted are you?
Just being at a party drains my energy. The only way for me to replenish that energy is to spend loads of time by myself. All alone. I haven't really had many opportunities to practise my social skills. I hardly ever got invited to parties in my high school days. I'm scared to approach people. What if I can't add anything to the conversation? What if it's awkward? What if no one at the gathering shares my interests? Everyone else seems to have someone to talk to, why not me?

Mood. I'd rate my introversion (pretty damn close to 100% when I last did Myers-Briggs), especially as I tended to (during school, anyway) to gravitate towards more introverted friend groups and I was easily less sociable than everyone else. Parties and mass gatherings creep me out but two particular situations change my behaviour significantly - close interaction either with people I'm not well acquainted with or conversely those I know really well. The former will make me overcompensate significantly and do things like talk quicker, panic and try to modify my perceived personality so they like me, etc. The latter will make me feel really comfortable and sort of put me in a bit of a bubble.

I also want to ask, How has lockdown affected your social life?
I'm loving it at home - I don't have to interact with many people outside my family if at all. On the rare occasions when I do have to go outside though, it's become a lot harder and I involuntarily do weird stuff when there's a lot of people around. I get to spend a lot of time alone which is nice, but I've become significantly more self-conscious and much less comfortable with being alone, so I'm a bit stuck in the middle :/

Finally, would you like to be a more outgoing person? Why?
I'd like to think so, but I just don't see it happening.

Curious to see everyone else's responses!
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Who here identifies as an introvert?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 11:44:04 am »
+1
How introverted are you?
Quite introverted. The personality test last time gave me I think 2% extroversion? Coming from a large family who are all (to greater or lesser extents) introverts meant that I didn't get pushed so much to be social, since I could just hide behind my family (still do). Are there parties in high school? I don't exactly know the meaning of party.... The only place I really interact with people is within my church, so I know a lot of older people and find it difficult to interact with ordinary kids my age. I like the older people who are from a different life, almost, who I can ask for their wisdom, meaning I don't quite know what the ordinary people my age are like. And as for approaching new people, I don't. Why would people want to talk to me anyway? I've tried making friends in primary school. I have made some friends (or acquaintances, anyway) at high school, somehow, but I wouldn't be surprised if uni didn't work that way. I know it's meant to be a great social place, but I hear about a lot of the uni stuff and go 'why would I want to do that?' I'm used to my own company, to the noise of my own thoughts. It's only relatively recently that I even found friends apart from one childhood friend. So I'm quite introverted... how do you talk to people anyway?

How has lockdown affected your social life?
What social life?

Would you like to be a more outgoing person? Why?
I'd like to be a bit less self-conscious when I talk to people - and I always overanalyse what I said afterwards. So yes. Hopefully uni will help with that - I need it, especially for uni!
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.