Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:22:36 am

Author Topic: geography exam coming up  (Read 5297 times)  Share 

jessica mo

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
geography exam coming up
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:41:22 pm »
I've got a geography exam this thursday and i would like some tips on how to approach it.
My weakness is the multiple choice - skills..im just nto great at it.
how would you structure the last section with the essay?
Any help is appreciated...thanks!

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: geography exam coming up
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 09:56:25 am »
+6
I've got a geography exam this thursday and i would like some tips on how to approach it.
My weakness is the multiple choice - skills..im just nto great at it.
how would you structure the last section with the essay?
Any help is appreciated...thanks!
Hi!
Ok so;
Skills: go through the skills listed in the syllabus and try and find some practice questions or make your own that test these skills, or you can do section 1 of all the past papers and see how you go. If there's any speciffic skills you need help with you can ask on here and I'll give you more speciffic responses - also I think I have a PowerPoint on how to do all the different skills, just hopefully I didn't delete it, I'll try and find that for you.

Essay: with the essay question the structure depends on the question. Break the question down and see if you can come up with 4 or more main points you can discuss. Ecosystems at risk is easiest to structure because this basic scaffold can be applied to most questions
P1: 1st point, 1st ecosystem
P2: 1st point 2nd ecosystem
P3: 2nd point 1st ecosystem
P4: 2nd point 2nd ecosystem
For other topics it's harder to give a solid outline as it depends on the question, but as an example, if an urban places question asks for evidence of economic and cultural authority I would spend 2 paragraphs on economic and 2 on cultural, or if it was an economic activity question on factors then I'd pick 4 factors I'm most comfortable talking about.
Hope that made sense and that it helps you  :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

jessica mo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:11:10 pm »
Hi!
Ok so;
Skills: go through the skills listed in the syllabus and try and find some practice questions or make your own that test these skills, or you can do section 1 of all the past papers and see how you go. If there's any speciffic skills you need help with you can ask on here and I'll give you more speciffic responses - also I think I have a PowerPoint on how to do all the different skills, just hopefully I didn't delete it, I'll try and find that for you.

Essay: with the essay question the structure depends on the question. Break the question down and see if you can come up with 4 or more main points you can discuss. Ecosystems at risk is easiest to structure because this basic scaffold can be applied to most questions
P1: 1st point, 1st ecosystem
P2: 1st point 2nd ecosystem
P3: 2nd point 1st ecosystem
P4: 2nd point 2nd ecosystem
For other topics it's harder to give a solid outline as it depends on the question, but as an example, if an urban places question asks for evidence of economic and cultural authority I would spend 2 paragraphs on economic and 2 on cultural, or if it was an economic activity question on factors then I'd pick 4 factors I'm most comfortable talking about.
Hope that made sense and that it helps you  :)
the essay is based on the great barrier reef for the ecosystems at risk so do i just write about the management strategies?

can i talk about volunteers killing crown of thorn starfish as a management strategy for the great barrier reef?

Mod edit: merged double post
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:29:39 pm by Potatohater »

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:33:17 pm »
+4
the essay is based on the great barrier reef for the ecosystems at risk so do i just write about the management strategies?

can i talk about volunteers killing crown of thorn starfish as a management strategy for the great barrier reef?

Mod edit: merged double post
Well what you talk about is dependent on the exact question so yes, if if is about Managment strategies then you write about that. For a management strategy question I reccomend doing 2 paragraphs on contemporary and 2 on traditional. Also yes you can talk about killing COTS, and take this one step further by explaining the inefficiencies in this strategy and the consequent development of the COTSBot
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

jessica mo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:05:20 am »
Well what you talk about is dependent on the exact question so yes, if if is about Managment strategies then you write about that. For a management strategy question I reccomend doing 2 paragraphs on contemporary and 2 on traditional. Also yes you can talk about killing COTS, and take this one step further by explaining the inefficiencies in this strategy and the consequent development of the COTSBot
i have quite a few contemporary management strategies but barely any for traditional. Do you have information for traditional management strategies?

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:01:51 am »
i have quite a few contemporary management strategies but barely any for traditional. Do you have information for traditional management strategies?
For sure!
So, traditional management strategies follow a few different values
- subsistence
- reciprocity
- sustainability
- custodianship
This results in, for the Great Barrier Reef in particular, management strategies such as
- traditional ecological knowledge
- controlled access to reefs
- traditional fishing techniques (eg. Using spears and fish traps rather than modern fishing techniques destined to catch too many fish)
- totems and taboos
- nomadic lifestyle