Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:02 pm

Author Topic: Urgent Question !!  (Read 1903 times)

ch3ntastic

Urgent Question !!
« on: July 26, 2016, 07:16:39 pm »
How do you link to the syllabus? I have a question asking to "analyse how the article links to the syllabus". Do I actually say "the syllabus" in my response?
Any help appreciated thanks  ;)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Urgent Question !!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:20:21 pm »
How do you link to the syllabus? I have a question asking to "analyse how the article links to the syllabus". Do I actually say "the syllabus" in my response?
Any help appreciated thanks  ;)
No. Be implicit. Whilst some people learn the syllabus off by heart at the very least you should know exact key words from the syllabus that you can integrate into your response.

If you explicitly say "the syllabus" in an essay then you are unimpressing the marker, because instead they feel like you're just jabbing the syllabus at them. Whereas if you key words out of it then that shows you have a refined understanding of the course and its requirements.

ch3ntastic

Re: Urgent Question !!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:31:25 pm »
The question says "...how the article links to the syllabus. This analysis should explicitly identify the topic/s and dot point/s the article relates to."
Does this mean I should say "the syllabus"?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Urgent Question !!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:37:35 pm »
Like I said - no. You say the syllabus point (word for word if necessary) but if you say 'the syllabus' explicitly then your presentation is weakened.

Unless your teacher actually said to USE the words "the syllabus" you don't write it. Linking/Referring to the syllabus is NOT the same as just dumping the words in there - it means to clearly address the actual points of the syllabus.

In other words, you should be quoting the syllabus. Not using the actual words "syllabus syllabus syllabus" a dozen times
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:40:55 pm by RuiAce »