Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:29:14 pm

Author Topic: Standard Math Q+A Thread  (Read 181162 times)  Share 

gabisperring

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: General Math Q+A Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 04:58:59 pm »
Thankyou! That was really helpful  :)

Gregs

• Trailblazer
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 07:10:52 pm »
All good  :)
ATAR: 91.45

Biology: 93
General maths: 90
PDHPE: 90
Chemistry:84
Standard English: 82

Sa1998

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2016, 07:35:12 pm »
Thank you so mych

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 11:29:32 pm »
I meant like how you guys have to organise lectures and such but at the same tine there are people here on the forums who need help and if you have to help out and prepare for lectures then that's going to be too much work for you all. You get what I mean?

We love the workload, we love the challenge, and we are eager to get you guys helping us rise to the occasion  ;)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2016, 11:30:38 pm »
Quantitative - where a number gets assigned either:
Discrete: eg. 0, 1, 2.. out of 10
continuous: heights of a group of people which can continuously go up and up etc

Categorical - putting something in a specific category
Nominal - does not have order e.g Male or Female
Ordinal - has value/order e.g A B C D E grade system
 ;D ;D

Please know you need to be a tutor when you finish the HSC with how well you have been explaining things and answering questions lately, just saying  ;D

brontem

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
  • School: Brigidine Randwick
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2016, 11:35:05 pm »
+2
Hahah
Please know you need to be a tutor when you finish the HSC with how well you have been explaining things and answering questions lately, just saying  ;D

Ha no worries, finally can contribute since there's questions I can actually answer  :P :P
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:13:31 am by brontem »

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 09:12:33 am »
+1
Quantitative - where a number gets assigned either:
Discrete: eg. 0, 1, 2.. out of 10
continuous: heights of a group of people which can continuously go up and up etc

Categorical - putting something in a specific category
Nominal - does not have order e.g Male or Female
Ordinal - has value/order e.g A B C D E grade system
 ;D ;D

Legend
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

skysailingaway

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 10:07:23 pm »
+1
With general maths, it will be much harder to find past trial papers. If you do get your hands on them however? Great.

PastHSC has a list of the questions arranged with respect to the syllabus updated 2014. My advice is to do the past papers from the older years (keeping the recent ones for your final HSC exam), and maybe one (or two) papers under exam conditions. Figure out why your mind goes blank in tests.

(If you rely on the textbook too much, there is your answer. Textbooks, whilst not being ridiculously off, will never reflect the scope of an exam.)

Ask your school for any past papers that they might have and do them. Also redo your past exams figuring out where you went wrong and what the right frame of mind is.

Regarding the finance topic, for actual questions you may struggle on just post them on here and we'll guide you through a thought process.

thankyou for answering!
~ the link is great, I'll use your advice and complete a couple papers in exam conditions
lets hope It pays off!

jnicko989

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 09:15:30 am »
I was wondering, from the work we did in preliminary, what is assessable in HSC? The teacher said all of it, in theory - is that right?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 10:22:20 am »
Now that the website is back online...
I was wondering, from the work we did in preliminary, what is assessable in HSC? The teacher said all of it, in theory - is that right?
Yes. Keep in mind that maths is different to every other subject in that the preliminary course is EXAMINABLE. Up to 20% of the final exams are allowed to include content taught in the preliminary course.

Anything goes in maths. All of it is in play.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2016, 10:50:21 am »

Note also that often you'll need a bit of background knowledge from your Prelim topics to access HSC topics: So it can be assessed implicitly as well. The best way to get a gauge is to take a look at some HSC and Trial papers (since the syllabus change in 2014), and get a feel for the sorts of things that are asked. But yep, as Rui said, absolutely everything is fair game  ;D

Now that the website is back online

Minor tech issue, our legend of a dev fixed it very quickly  ;D

jnicko989

• Adventurer
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2016, 12:14:35 pm »
I knew about some of the ones where things were continued or skills and techniques were carried on, but I didn't know that everything could be tested. I had noticed some things had been in past papers, like mobile costs, so I have revised it briefly, but yeah, I didn't know about the 20%.

Thank you for the help - have you got any advice on how best to study for general? Just revise all of it?

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 12:26:39 pm »
+1
I knew about some of the ones where things were continued or skills and techniques were carried on, but I didn't know that everything could be tested. I had noticed some things had been in past papers, like mobile costs, so I have revised it briefly, but yeah, I didn't know about the 20%.

Thank you for the help - have you got any advice on how best to study for general? Just revise all of it?
Our General Maths lecturer has published an incredible set of notes that covers all of the Prelim content pretty briefly which is perfect for revision. We sell them on the shop here.

As for advice on how to study for it - do as many practise questions as possible, then for every question you get wrong cut it out and paste it in a book with an annotation of why you go it wrong. - Why you got tricked, why you misread the question (what word slipped up)... Then,  print out that particular page of the exam and keep all of those pages. Then, do an 'exam' made up of all the questions you got wrong  with all the pages stapled together. Keep doing that exam until you get 95%+, and if you don't know something, like legitimately don't know, then revise only that. (I.e., revise = watch videos, 'learn' the concept). If you've already learned many concepts, just go to the papers.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2016, 04:29:38 pm »

Even in general, you need to keep doing past papers as brenden said. It just so happens that this is especially true for maths since maths is all about applying what you know, not going off memory.

(Which is why in my opinion, the balance between notes and papers shifts even further towards the latter for maths)

emmaperry

• New South Welsh
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2016, 01:51:13 pm »
Hi!
I was just wondering if anybody could let me know if in a General Mathematics HSC exam, they could ask us to draw a radar chart and fill in the information given for it?
I have just done a practice question from an Excel book, and they asked me to draw a radar chart, but I have never seen this in a past HSC paper before??
Thankyou!