Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:28:35 am

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 275718 times)  Share 

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
  • Respect: 0
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 08:29:10 am »
+2
hey elyse! I want to do Christianity and Islam in religion and peace since im more comfortable with writing an essay on them but my teacher says we have to do judaism and Christianity.  my teacher said the hsc markers may be prejudiced against someone relating peace with islam with the current issue of terrorism floating around and may award lower marks. So is it alright to use islam instead of Judaism? Im confused. Any help will be brilliant :)

(If I can jump in here) Hi Kimmie, i'm an SOR2 student studying the same topic at the moment, with an upcoming assessment task on religion and peace in Christianity and Islam! Judging by what my teacher (SOR2 HSC Marker) has told me, Islam is definitely a great religion to use however you should STAY AWAY from the issue of terrorism as Islam is a religion of peace. Instead focus on the 5 pillars and submission to Allah/tawakkul as a means by which the adherent can formulate a closer bond to the creator and thereby achieve peace. Once more, it is highly recommended to stay away from terrorism as it is a very touchy subject and it is extremely hard to use it without sounding biased, so stick to the core Islamic beliefs and organisations that encompass these beliefs to achieve higher marks :)

Hope this helps!
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 02:11:43 pm »
+1
(If I can jump in here) Hi Kimmie, i'm an SOR2 student studying the same topic at the moment, with an upcoming assessment task on religion and peace in Christianity and Islam! Judging by what my teacher (SOR2 HSC Marker) has told me, Islam is definitely a great religion to use however you should STAY AWAY from the issue of terrorism as Islam is a religion of peace. Instead focus on the 5 pillars and submission to Allah/tawakkul as a means by which the adherent can formulate a closer bond to the creator and thereby achieve peace. Once more, it is highly recommended to stay away from terrorism as it is a very touchy subject and it is extremely hard to use it without sounding biased, so stick to the core Islamic beliefs and organisations that encompass these beliefs to achieve higher marks :)

Hope this helps!

That's a very very good point, I should have considered that as something to consider carefully, mentioning terrorism in an Islam essay would definitely not go down well  :) thanks Essej!

kimmie

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Marys Senior High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2016, 11:55:55 pm »
okay! thankyou for your help :)

Hey Kimmie! I'll give you my opinion on this question and Elyse may want to add to it, we both did SOR 1 so we can't speak from experience of Religion and Peace. Elyse does know the content though  ;D

Essentially, though I understand the rationale, my opinion is that your teacher is mistaken. The HSC markers CANNOT be biased about anything in SOR, especially something like that. You should write about whatever religious tradition(s) suits your style and your preferences!! Fair enough if one of them is a little easier, or suited the question a bit better, or whatever. But under no circumstances would you be prejudiced against for using Islam in the Religion and Peace section, and if you were, then you'd have grounds for a massive appeal, and the marker responsible would not enjoy their summer holiday  ;)

kimmie

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Marys Senior High School
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2016, 11:57:08 pm »
+1
Thankyou! will definitely use both of your advice and stick to what im comfortable doing to get better marks :)

Hope this helps!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2016, 01:58:19 pm »
Thankyou! will definitely use both of your advice and stick to what im comfortable doing to get better marks :)

Hi there! A marker will not be prejudiced against choosing Islam as a religion of peace! The entire syllabus and content points towards it being a religion of peace, there is so much to talk about! Talk about jihad as being an internal quest for peace! You've got this - fear not! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2016, 03:24:56 pm »
this is so wonderful, since you have studied A'isha, what is does the best responses look like for her contribution and impact ?

i have some difficulty with answering a 4 and 5 marker. i have given many responses to my teacher how have not really gotten detailed feedback.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2016, 03:54:46 pm »
this is so wonderful, since you have studied A'isha, what is does the best responses look like for her contribution and impact ?

i have some difficulty with answering a 4 and 5 marker. i have given many responses to my teacher how have not really gotten detailed feedback.

Oh I'll see if I can find one of my own sample responses on A'isha, I studied her as well  ;D what forms the best responses is a little hard to cover briefly, probably best shown with an example if I can find one tonight, but until then you should read this article I wrote on structuring a SOR essay  ;D

You are welcome to upload a 4/5 marker to either this thread or the SOR essay marking thread!! 5 markers are normally only a paragraph and so they are exempt from the normal 5-post rule  :D

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2016, 04:07:45 pm »
thhaaaannk you ! i will by tonight.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 04:25:00 pm »
+1
Ive made a differrnt thread for this already, but in just in case one has something here to bring to the table..

Has anyone got any Rabi'a al-Addiwiyya or sufism notes (rabi'a = female sufi significant person for islam)
*says so hopefully*  :D

If so, can you let me know asap or post it in either this thread or the thread i have made? Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 04:27:56 pm »
Ive made a differrnt thread for this already, but in just in case one has something here to bring to the table..

Has anyone got any Rabi'a al-Addiwiyya or sufism notes (rabi'a = female sufi significant person for islam)
*says so hopefully*  :D

If so, can you let me know asap or post it in either this thread or the thread i have made? Thanks!

I really hope someone can help out here!!  :D

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 04:34:16 pm »
Thanks Jamon  8)! I dont know why our teacher picked this at all, there is next to no resources on it and it is hard to talk about rabi'a without talking about sufism!!

brontem

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
  • School: Brigidine Randwick
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 02:03:23 pm »
Hey  :D Can someone explain what ecumenical movements are/where they apply?? I don't at all remember learning it  :-\
Thanks!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 02:12:09 pm »
+1
Hey  :D Can someone explain what ecumenical movements are/where they apply?? I don't at all remember learning it  :-\
Thanks!!

Hey brontem!! Ecumenical movements are just actions undertaken by Christian churches aiming to increase Christian unity between the denominations. It is important to note that ecumenism is a term which can only be applied to Christianity, it is different to inter-faith dialogue  ;D

So ecumenical movements encompasses any actions/set of actions undertaken to promote inter-denominational cooperation (EG - NSW Ecumenical Council, the NCCA, etc)  ;D

I can go into a bit more detail about some examples if you like?  ;D

brontem

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
  • School: Brigidine Randwick
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2016, 02:23:17 pm »
I can go into a bit more detail about some examples if you like?  ;D

Yes please!! I actually don't know anything about it hahah

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2016, 02:40:25 pm »
+1
Yes please!! I actually don't know anything about it hahah

Sure! Okay, so the three examples I used in SOR:

The National Council of Churches Australia (NCCA) is an ecumenical body consisting of 15 Christian churches promoting ecumenism and ecumenical initiatives. This includes a decision called the Christian World Service, which aims to promote cooperation in areas of social justice and humanitarian relief, and also implements inter-denominational congregational services and educational programs. There is also the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, funded by the NCCA, a week of inter-denominational prayer and service.

The Uniting Church formed in 1977 is a merger of Presbyterianism, Methodism and Congregationalism. The denomination itself is therefore an example of an ecumenical movement.

The NSW Ecumenical Council was founded in 1982, consisting of 16 member churches. It is basically a council for joint reflect on theology, and promoting ecumenical initiatives. It also provides a platform for a joint Christian response to social justice issues.

I hope these help! I've actually just uploaded a set of SOR Core notes for HSC, once they are approved you can find them in the notes section and they may be of extra help! I pretty much told you everything in there already though, ahaha  ;)