Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:27:42 pm

Author Topic: R U OK Day  (Read 5653 times)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
R U OK Day
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:01:36 pm »
+25
Hey, everybody! Today is R U OK Day, which is an international mental health awareness program. Here's their website.

As a passionate advocate for speaking up about this topic, I want to bring up ATAR Notes’ good old resources for mental health, and where to find help. This resource is a pretty dead part of the forum, but it’s also extremely necessary, and definitely worth checking out.

Mental health problems should be given treatment like any other ailment, and without speaking up and finding the courage to tell someone you’re hurting, it can get worse and worse. So, today I want to bring this to the forefront: if you’re not feeling great, speak up about it. Ask your friends how they’re going, and talk to those who need it. Today we should remember to support each other and throw off the stigma of “weakness” - because to speak up is never weakness. It is strength. When I get the chance I’ll be putting links to useful resources down below as well. Look after each other today.

Love each and every one of you, beautiful AN family! We’ll be OK. 💗💗💗

EDIT:
Helplines and Resources for those struggling and those who want to help -

Beyond Blue: Depression and anxiety, aims to reduce stigma. Phone: 1300 22 4636, 24/7, 7 days a week.

Headspace: National youth mental health foundation for those aged 12-25. Check website for various centres near you. Phone: see Lifeline.

Kid's Helpline: 'Anytime, any reason'. Phone: 1800 55 1800, 24/7, 7 days a week.

Lifeline Australia: Crisis support, mainly for older people but definitely an option if you're in a really bad place. Phone: 13 11 14, 24/7, 7 days a week.

And this is an amazing resource too, out of anything DEFINITELY check it out. :D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:42:15 pm by Poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
Re: R U OK Day
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:38:14 pm »
+8
As I was reading this, I overheard a primary student asking another the same question... :D

Thanks for bringing this up Poet.
Are you ok?
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:56 pm »
+10
As I was reading this, I overheard a primary student asking another the same question... :D

Thanks for bringing this up Poet.
Are you ok?
hey, as long as my fam’s okay, I’m okay. :))

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 09:16:17 am »
+9
Hey guys, I'm just going to bring this up again. Every day should be R U OK Day - it pays to care. So if you ever see someone looking down, make sure you're a friend, every day of the year. Especially as exams loom. <3

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 09:20:18 am »
+2
Hey guys, I'm just going to bring this up again. Every day should be R U OK Day - it pays to care. So if you ever see someone looking down, make sure you're a friend, every day of the year. Especially as exams loom. <3
Amen.
Is everyone OK today?
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 11:49:05 am »
+3

Thanks for the Headsup :P :D

Amen.
Is everyone OK today?
And yes... The Sun is shining and so am I... :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:55:43 am by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 12:35:08 am »
+12
not sure if I'm allowed to post here, but I saw this and thought it was really cool

today I am not okay. stress has started hitting and ive broken down several times and have not cried. I want to cry to express my frustration but I can't. eng is sooo soon and I'm so scared. I know its a scary time for everyone and everyone is stressing but I don't know to how stop stressing and relaxing.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 07:56:42 am »
+12
not sure if I'm allowed to post here, but I saw this and thought it was really cool

today I am not okay. stress has started hitting and ive broken down several times and have not cried. I want to cry to express my frustration but I can't. eng is sooo soon and I'm so scared. I know its a scary time for everyone and everyone is stressing but I don't know to how stop stressing and relaxing.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Heyy!!!

Dunno why not  :)

I know exactly where you are coming from Sorta having the same problem...
! Just remember that you have been working towards this point for 13 years now and there is only 2 days to go! You can so do this....
Remember in the exam you will do better than you expect and this will come back to you....

A couple of quotes to see you through:
- tough times never last but tough people do!
- Mistakes are proof that you are trying
- You NEVER fail until you give up trying!!
- Self-belief and hard work will always earn you success.
- When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful.

ATVVVB... I will be feeling that same feeling at 10:20 Thursday eeekk...
PM your address and I will get ya a surprise delivered.....
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

Zappi

• Forum Regular
  • Official ATARNotes Passerer of Food
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 09:49:49 am »
+11

Hey! Don't know how qualified I am to talk about this since I'm still just in Year 11, but...

• You never know exactly what it's gonna be like. Anxiety paints a red-coloured paint over everything. Chances are it won't be nearly as bad as you think it will be.
  • As long as you've done everything you can do to prepare, you'll be fine. Once you step into the exam room, it's out of your hands. No need to stress! Just know that all you can do is to do your best.
  • Just like headsup said, you've worked so much for this moment. It's the final stretch before FREEDOM!! Giving up now is just letting all of that work go to waste. Make yourself proud! We're all proud of you  ;D
  • No matter what, there's always a way to fix things. This might feel permanent, but there's always a fix.
  • Like headsup said again, you only fail once you give up.

You'll do great if you let yourself do great!! All you can do is try your best.
If you ever need someone to just vent to, hit me up  ;D
2018: English Language | General Maths | Business Management | Japanese SL | Computing
2019: English Language [29] | Further Maths [39] | Business Management [36] | Japanese SL [37] | Software Dev [42] | ATAR: 90.10

JLPT N3 Certified, aiming for N2 in December 2018. Hit me up with any Japanese-related questions!

My website: https://zappi.xyz/

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 10:24:49 am »
+12

hey! Feel free to vent here - this is a safe place to let go of what you’ve been bottling up, and whether that’s stress, anxiety, fear or whatever, we’ll listen because you matter.

I feel you on the deadline issue. It’s a scary thing to be so close to the end, for all of us. If it’s any comfort, we’re all in this together with you. I know you said that, but the difference is that we’re here with you, and for you. If you’re stressing out so badly you’re having breakdowns, it’s obviously not good for you. Your body needs a little break - you’ve been working hard to prepare; now you just need to work on the best mindset to head into the exam with!

I’m not sure if it will help you, but I wrote a little article on stress reduction- the link is in my signature under this message. If you haven’t had a read-through, I recommend it. Make sure you’re doing your best to balance yourself and look after more than just your grades, because you’re worth a lot more than a number. If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to speak up - we’re here to help you. Not being okay is okay, and it will get better. 💜

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 02:55:00 pm »
+7
thank you @headsup @Zappi @secretly_a_poet so much. that really helped calm me down knowing that I have people there for me. thank you again xxx

and haha thanks @s200 for posting that song I just listened to it and it really made me smile.

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 06:06:06 pm »
+6

I reckon maybe you should try eheadspace chat. They helped me get through tough times. It's okay to feel that way. Just make sure you give your self time and priortise your mental health over studying.

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 08:01:03 pm »
+6
I reckon maybe you should try eheadspace chat. They helped me get through tough times. It's okay to feel that way. Just make sure you give your self time and priortise your mental health over studying.

thank you for your reply! ill definitely have a look at "eheadspace". I gave myself day off today from studying coz I was overwhelmed and now I'm slowly regretting it coz exams start in a little over a day 😪😬

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 05:35:42 am »
+6
Sometime
thank you for your reply! ill definitely have a look at "eheadspace". I gave myself day off today from studying coz I was overwhelmed and now I'm slowly regretting it coz exams start in a little over a day 😪😬

Honestly, sometimes a day of studying is essential to calm down mentally and revive for the upcoming couple days of hard work. Don’t feel bad for it! Also idk if this is silly but I realised Paper 1 is only worth 40% of our external mark for English, which equals to the same weighting my maths trial had. So tbh it isn’t even worth THAT much. If we got through trials, we’re gonna get through the next couple of weeks just fine too hehe.

HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

• Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 04:34:36 pm »
+1
Sometime
Honestly, sometimes a day of studying is essential to calm down mentally and revive for the upcoming couple days of hard work. Don’t feel bad for it! Also idk if this is silly but I realised Paper 1 is only worth 40% of our external mark for English, which equals to the same weighting my maths trial had. So tbh it isn’t even worth THAT much. If we got through trials, we’re gonna get through the next couple of weeks just fine too hehe.

paper 1 is worth 40%??? thats sad because although paper 1 was harder I thought I did better in it than paper 2. oh well  :'(