Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:36:53 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469665 times)  Share 

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #990 on: November 01, 2017, 08:57:29 pm »
do we need to know anything about the thalamus?
No

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #991 on: November 01, 2017, 09:00:14 pm »
i too was sooo confused at this, but if you look through previous posts, I asked this question and I got a reply that Bezodiazepines act as agonists, therefore they MIMIC GABA function. Anyone got differing thoughts on this?
Also as far as the Jacaranda textbook goes about it, an agonist is "a drug or medication that stimulates a neurotransmitter's activity.

Angelx001

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #992 on: November 01, 2017, 09:01:52 pm »
Can single blind procedure refer to the experimenter not knowing which groups participants are in or is it only for participants not knowing which group they're in? Also thanks for answering my other question :)

And can someone explain question 57 2013 psych vcaa exam??

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #993 on: November 01, 2017, 09:06:54 pm »

Can we use the abbreviation ACTH or is it not acceptable?
I don't think anyone in the state will be writing out adenocoriticotropic hormone, just write ACTH unless you are feeling especially paranoid.
Likewise for N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDA), and I'm not even going to try to type out AMPA's full name

Can single blind procedure refer to the experimenter not knowing which groups participants are in or is it only for participants not knowing which group they're in? Also thanks for answering my other question :)

It only refers to the participants not knowing

57.  In learning, neurons communicate with eachother. When neurons communicate the dendrite receives neurotransmitters

emmaline

• Adventurer
« Reply #994 on: November 01, 2017, 09:08:09 pm »
Is the synapse the same thing as the synaptic gap - can you use those terms interchangeably?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #995 on: November 01, 2017, 09:10:27 pm »
Is the synapse the same thing as the synaptic gap - can you use those terms interchangeably?
Some definitions of the synapse include the presynaptic and postsynaptic neuron

emmaline

• Adventurer
« Reply #996 on: November 01, 2017, 09:12:36 pm »
I understand and I've read multiple times that excitatory neurotransmitters make a post-synaptic neuron more likely to fire and inhibitory the opposite, but what does 'firing' actually mean? Does a neuron firing refer to the neural impulse travelling down the axon of the post-synaptic neuron? I'm not really sure..

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #997 on: November 01, 2017, 09:13:42 pm »

No, where the experimenter doesn't know would be called the double-blind procedure, where the participants also do not know where they are allocated.
For the exam question, the answer is B. The answer cannot be A since dendrites do not contain terminal buttons which secrete the neurotransmitters into the synaptic gap/cleft. These are called axon terminals. B is correct as that is the correct function of dendrites (to receive the neurotransmitters and to send the relevant messages to the soma). The answer cannot be C (to be honest this choice doesn't even make sense to me but I'm making the assumption that they meant the axon) since the dendrites send the impulses to the soma. And it cannot be D since dendrites aren't able to perform higher level functions such as that of integrating and processing information.
Hope that helps. If you need more clarification I'll do my best

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #998 on: November 01, 2017, 09:15:15 pm »
I don't think anyone in the state will be writing out adenocoriticotropic hormone, just write ACTH unless you are feeling especially paranoid.
Likewise for N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDA), and I'm not even going to try to type out AMPA's full name
It only refers to the participants not knowing

57.  In learning, neurons communicate with eachother. When neurons communicate the dendrite receives neurotransmitters
NMDA and AMPA are not part of the study design.

isobelj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #999 on: November 01, 2017, 09:16:09 pm »
I understand and I've read multiple times that excitatory neurotransmitters make a post-synaptic neuron more likely to fire and inhibitory the opposite, but what does 'firing' actually mean? Does a neuron firing refer to the neural impulse travelling down the axon of the post-synaptic neuron? I'm not really sure..

Yes, exactly! It's just an action potential occurring in a post-synaptic neuron.

anicawajswelner

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1000 on: November 01, 2017, 09:18:31 pm »
What are the factors that influence the success of operant conditioning!?!?!?
Like the timing of the consequence after the behaviour, the appropriateness of the consequence to the behaviour, scheduled reinforcement etc?

Angelx001

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #1001 on: November 01, 2017, 09:27:25 pm »

thanks! but why cant question 57 be answer D?
Also i looked at one of the VCAA past exams and it said that a single blind procedure should be used so experimenters do not know which group participants are in (since it is impossible for participants not to know which group theyre in so can't use double blind)- this this was the green valley one 2014 i think, so im confused?

-elcee

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1002 on: November 01, 2017, 09:31:54 pm »
Not sure how forums work, but in response to the operant conditioning question :

Order : reinforcement or punishment must come AFTER the response
Timing : reinforcement or punishment immediately after the response
Appropriateness : for a stimulus to be a reinforcer, it must either provide a pleasant consequence for it's recipient to increase the desirable behaviour. Contrastingly, for a stimulus to be a punisher, it must provide an unpleasant consequence and thus decrease the undesirable behaviour.

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1003 on: November 01, 2017, 09:32:45 pm »
+1

thanks! but why cant question 57 be answer D?
Also i looked at one of the VCAA past exams and it said that a single blind procedure should be used so experimenters do not know which group participants are in (since it is impossible for participants not to know which group theyre in so can't use double blind)- this this was the green valley one 2014 i think, so im confused?
Did you see my answer to your question?

Angelx001

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #1004 on: November 01, 2017, 09:40:33 pm »
Did you see my answer to your question?
Yeah i looked at your answer