Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:41:22 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469836 times)  Share 

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #570 on: September 05, 2017, 05:12:46 pm »
On a recent SAC, there was the following question:
"What does the EEG measure?" 1 mark
My answer was:
"The EEG measures the electrical activity of the brain in the form of brainwaves."
The teacher said that my answer was wrong and that the correct answer should be:
"The EEG detects, amplifies and records the electrical activity of the brain in the form of brainwaves."

Was my marking truly deserved? I think that I answered the question fully, considering that the question already provides the function of what the EEG does, which I reiterated fully.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #571 on: September 05, 2017, 05:36:27 pm »
+3

My answer was:
"The EEG measures the electrical activity of the brain in the form of brainwaves."
The teacher said that my answer was wrong and that the correct answer should be:
"The EEG detects, amplifies and records the electrical activity of the brain in the form of brainwaves."

Was my marking truly deserved? I think that I answered the question fully, considering that the question already provides the function of what the EEG does, which I reiterated fully.

VCAA asked this exact question and used the same marking scheme as your teacher, so I don't feel that you can really contest the mark

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #572 on: September 05, 2017, 05:38:38 pm »
+3
My answer was:

I think you definitely need the DARE (detects, amplifies and records electrical activity in...) acronym. It seems pretty specific and sucks, but yeah, probably fair marking in that particular instance IMO.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #573 on: September 05, 2017, 06:53:25 pm »
+3
I think you definitely need the DARE (detects, amplifies and records electrical activity in...) acronym. It seems pretty specific and sucks, but yeah, probably fair marking in that particular instance IMO.

Yup. The EEG, EMG and EOG definitions are the only three in the entire course that I tell students to know word-for-word. Must have DARE.

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

joshgoundar

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #574 on: September 10, 2017, 08:37:43 pm »
As the exam is approaching, I was wandering how would tackle the 10-marker this year. Since it is a new study design, how should we approach it?
I've seen a lot of people mentioning that the 2016 example, is a good representation, as this year is focusing on "evaluating" results/theories.
But my school hasn't started exam revision, and I am still unsure on how to tackle the 10 marker this year.
2017: Biology, Psychology 
2018: English, Methods, Chemistry, Health and Human Development
2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #575 on: September 10, 2017, 08:45:10 pm »
+3
As the exam is approaching, I was wandering how would tackle the 10-marker this year. Since it is a new study design, how should we approach it?
I've seen a lot of people mentioning that the 2016 example, is a good representation, as this year is focusing on "evaluating" results/theories.
But my school hasn't started exam revision, and I am still unsure on how to tackle the 10 marker this year.

Practice reading other research and identifying IV, DV, EV, etc what would a suitable hypothesis, aim, conclusion etc  be. Importantly consider the ethics, ability to  generalise,  validity and reliability. How would you improve this experiment? What sampling & allocation procedures were used?  What are the advantages of them?

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #576 on: September 11, 2017, 09:07:45 am »
I'm a bit confused, what is the difference between predisposing and precipitating risk factors? Don't they both increases an individuals susceptibility to having a mental health disorder????  ???

osporth

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #577 on: September 11, 2017, 09:40:15 am »
+4
I'm a bit confused, what is the difference between predisposing and precipitating risk factors? Don't they both increases an individuals susceptibility to having a mental health disorder????  ???

From my understanding, predisposing increase vulnerability and are present for a longer period of time than precipitating. Precipitating influence the person's current mental state and are not necessarily long term. For example a predisposing factor would be a genetic link whereas a precipitating could be something relating to your current situation such as being under high stress.
2017: Psychology [38]

2018: Methods, Viscom, English Language, Chemistry, Uni Chemistry (hopefully!)

Aim: BPharm @ USyd

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #578 on: September 11, 2017, 09:43:14 am »
Okay one more question, in my psych textbook it says that low self-efficacy is a good predictor of low mental health and high self-efficacy is a good predictor of high mental health. Isn't it suppose to be the other way around????

osporth

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #579 on: September 11, 2017, 09:51:06 am »
+4
Okay one more question, in my psych textbook it says that low self-efficacy is a good predictor of low mental health and high self-efficacy is a good predictor of high mental health. Isn't it suppose to be the other way around????

Self-efficacy refers to how much a person believes they are able to successfully approach a situation or task, so higher levels of self-efficiacy would mean that they believe more in themselves.
2017: Psychology [38]

2018: Methods, Viscom, English Language, Chemistry, Uni Chemistry (hopefully!)

Aim: BPharm @ USyd

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #580 on: September 11, 2017, 10:01:24 am »
Self-efficacy refers to how much a person believes they are able to successfully approach a situation or task, so higher levels of self-efficiacy would mean that they believe more in themselves.

Ohhhhh, I get it.
thanks

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #581 on: September 11, 2017, 05:59:14 pm »
+5
yes, both of them do increase susceptibility. However, precipitating risk factors also contribute to occurrence. 
Eg having GABA disfunction (predisposing) vs nearly drowning (precipitating) in the development of a phobia of water

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #582 on: September 11, 2017, 10:56:49 pm »
+4

Predisposing risk factors are those that 'pre-exist' in the individual. These are often the genetic factors of the individual such as a GABA dysfunction or a relative with a mental disorder. Keep in mind that these do not guarantee the development of a disorder, but only increase the risk. Precipitating risk factors tend to be the events that 'trigger' the mental health disorder, for example, these could the loss of a significant relationship that increases both the susceptibility and occurrence of the disorder.

I like to think of all predisposing risk factors as genetic. I then go to perpetuating to see the events that are ongoing, and then the remaining are either protective or precipitating. This can make it easier for elimination of the options :)
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #583 on: September 11, 2017, 11:06:52 pm »
+3
Predisposing risk factors are those that 'pre-exist' in the individual. These are often the genetic factors of the individual such as a GABA dysfunction or a relative with a mental disorder. Keep in mind that these do not guarantee the development of a disorder, but only increase the risk. Precipitating risk factors tend to be the events that 'trigger' the mental health disorder, for example, these could the loss of a significant relationship that increases both the susceptibility and occurrence of the disorder.

I like to think of all predisposing risk factors as genetic. I then go to perpetuating to see the events that are ongoing, and then the remaining are either protective or precipitating. This can make it easier for elimination of the options :)

Please also remember that non-genetic factors can also be predisposing eg. Disorgsnised attachment.

Otherwise, good points :)

abbeyrose

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #584 on: September 12, 2017, 12:43:28 pm »
Could I please have some help with answering this question? Thank you in advance!

List some of the matched interventions that may be used at the various stages outlined in the transtheoretical model of behaviour change for a person who suffers anxiety.
2016-2017 (VCE): English, Legal Studies, Further Maths, HHD, Psychology, History: Global Empires
2019-: Monash University