Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:28 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469665 times)  Share 

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2016, 07:59:48 pm »
I was assuming there'd be more dot points asking you to address those? What does the question say exactly?

It says exactly 'a description of the weaknesses of the experimental design'.
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #346 on: October 17, 2016, 02:19:24 pm »
hi!
Can someone tell me what'd they answer to this?
'Describe two ways in which categorical approach is a better approach than dimensional approach.' [2 marks]

1. Unlike the dimensional approach that classifies the severity of a mental illness on a continuum/spectrum, the categorical approach provides a more definitive ('yes/no') answer and a decision is made whether the disorder is present or absent.
2. The diagnosis procedure for the categorical approach is standard amongst health professionals, making this approach more efficient, as the many dimensions of the dimensional approach that are to be assessed can overcomplicate a mental health assessment.

hope that helped you out! i found this question to be a very good one as it is quite common for questions to ask why the dimensional approach is better, but its important to know reasons why categorical would be better just in case :)
2015: Further Mathematics
2016: English | Biology | Psychology | Health & Human Dev. | Text & Traditions
"verily with the hardship there is relief" – Quran 94:6

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #347 on: October 17, 2016, 07:34:39 pm »
1. Unlike the dimensional approach that classifies the severity of a mental illness on a continuum/spectrum, the categorical approach provides a more definitive ('yes/no') answer and a decision is made whether the disorder is present or absent.
2. The diagnosis procedure for the categorical approach is standard amongst health professionals, making this approach more efficient, as the many dimensions of the dimensional approach that are to be assessed can overcomplicate a mental health assessment.

hope that helped you out! i found this question to be a very good one as it is quite common for questions to ask why the dimensional approach is better, but its important to know reasons why categorical would be better just in case :)
Thank you so much! your answer was really helpful :)
i know right, ive barely seen categorical being the better approach before, good luck for psych :)

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #348 on: October 17, 2016, 07:36:50 pm »
It says exactly 'a description of the weaknesses of the experimental design'.
Well because it is section C it makes sense to include extraneous variables that could come about as a result of the experimental design if this is for the 10 marker question.

Tess_r3

• Adventurer
« Reply #349 on: October 18, 2016, 06:35:11 pm »
Hi, I am sorry if this question has already being asked, but with exams drawing nearer i just want to check some of my psych terms. I sort-of don't get the difference between central executive and episodic buffer. I know the central executive makes descisions and controls attention, whilst the episodic buffer mental represants various bits of info to be consciously worked on, but which is involved with LTM??? What if i was asked which retrieves information from LTM?
Aggregate 193.81
Atar: 99.15
Math Methods (36), Chemistry (40, Psychology (50), English Language (44), Environmental science (46), Further Maths (44)

jayleno

• Forum Regular
« Reply #350 on: October 18, 2016, 09:45:24 pm »
Hey guys , just wondering do we need to know research methods about every experiment stated in the study design? For example Sperry and Gazaniga '
By this I mean do we need to know the Iv , do , ethics and such

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #351 on: October 18, 2016, 10:00:51 pm »
Hi, I am sorry if this question has already being asked, but with exams drawing nearer i just want to check some of my psych terms. I sort-of don't get the difference between central executive and episodic buffer. I know the central executive makes descisions and controls attention, whilst the episodic buffer mental represants various bits of info to be consciously worked on, but which is involved with LTM??? What if i was asked which retrieves information from LTM?
"which is involved with LTM???"
Since the central executive is in control of attention, it decides what is worthy, or what deserves, to be processed into the long term and what doesnt.Once it has decided that "yes, this should go into the LTM", it will instruct the episodic buffer to combine both the auditory and visuals (to form a scene ("episode") in its unique storage space (episodic buffer has its only place of temporary storage) before being directly transferred into the LTM.
Thus they are both involved in the LTM. However episodic buffer is more directly involved.
"What if i was asked which retrieves information from LTM?"
The episodic buffer retrieves information that it transferred to the LTM (however only under the control of the central executive, as this is the "boss") if the information requires modification or to be focused on at a specific time. So it is the episodic buffer that retrieves info from the LTM. But the central executive does direct the flow of LTM thoughts from working memory and attention and back to LTM, however it does this by using the episodic buffer. So its not the central executive that is directly involved in the retrieval of LTM.

I hope this answer is correct, this is my understanding, its quite a complex topic.  :)

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #352 on: October 18, 2016, 10:20:04 pm »
Hey guys , just wondering do we need to know research methods about every experiment stated in the study design? For example Sperry and Gazaniga '
By this I mean do we need to know the Iv , do , ethics and such
So i just checked, and yes we do. I dont know how i didnt know this  :-\
After every area of study the following sentence is there: (in bold i have included the psychologists they are referring to)
  • research methodologies and ethical principles associated with the study of the brain and states of
    consciousness, as outlined in the introduction to Unit 3 on page 22.
    studies of aphasia including Broca’s aphasia and Wernicke’s aphasia, studies of split brain including Roger Sperry and Michael Gazzaniga
  • research methodologies and ethical principles associated with the study of memory, as outlined in
    the introduction to Unit 3 on page 22.
    studies by Elizabeth Loftus
  • research methodologies and ethical principles associated with the study of learning, as outlined in
    the introduction to Unit 3 on page 22.
    John Watson’s ‘Little Albert’ experiment, and maybe Bandura's experiment on children, however this experiment isnt specified in the study design
  • research methodologies and ethical principles associated with the study of mental health, as outlined
    in the introduction to Unit 3 on page 22.
    I couldnt find studies for this one in the study design nor in my textbook
Hope that helped everyone, now i got to go cram, oops

eliseeeeee

• Adventurer
« Reply #353 on: October 19, 2016, 12:35:08 pm »
Hi!! I was just wondering whether acronyms such as CS, UCS, UCR etc are acceptable when talking about classical conditioning on the exam?? Or acronyms such as LTM/STM for memory, PNS/CNS when talking about the nervous system and so on?
Thanks  :D

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #354 on: October 19, 2016, 12:53:41 pm »
+1
Hi!! I was just wondering whether acronyms such as CS, UCS, UCR etc are acceptable when talking about classical conditioning on the exam?? Or acronyms such as LTM/STM for memory, PNS/CNS when talking about the nervous system and so on?
Thanks  :D
mention them as the full item first, then you can use them. i.e blah blah Long Term Memory (LTM)- then use LTM from then on!
Uni and life

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #355 on: October 20, 2016, 02:34:17 pm »
hey guys which scedule of reinforcement is least resistant to extinction??

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #356 on: October 20, 2016, 05:12:29 pm »
hey guys which scedule of reinforcement is least resistant to extinction??
variable-ratio is the most resistant to extinction

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #357 on: October 20, 2016, 05:21:28 pm »
variable-ratio is the most resistant to extinction
yo that's true but the person asked for least resistant.

Least resistant is fixed interval ;)
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #358 on: October 20, 2016, 06:02:27 pm »
yo that's true but the person asked for least resistant.

Least resistant is fixed interval ;)
THanks and can i ask why it leads to the fastest extinction?

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #359 on: October 20, 2016, 06:24:42 pm »
THanks and can i ask why it leads to the fastest extinction?
*applies logic*
so
if i give you a cookie every 10 seconds regardless of how well you twerk, and then i stop giving you cookies, you're gonna get frustrated that you dont get a cookie every 10 seconds when u twerk and you'll stop twerking.

However, if I give you a cookie after a random amount of proper ghetto black girl twerks, you're gonna keep twerking properly in the anticipation that you'll get a cookie - so you're least likely to forget how to ghetto black girl twerk you feel?
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?