Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:42 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469654 times)  Share 

purplegiraffe

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Catholic College Bendigo
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #330 on: October 05, 2016, 09:38:15 am »
How much are we expected to write in a section C?

TooLazy

• Trendsetter
  • 2014 Forest Hills Drive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #331 on: October 05, 2016, 08:37:23 pm »
+2
How much are we expected to write in a section C?

The examiners arent looking for how much you write, but rather the quality. There are certain aspects they examine and award marks to. I suggest you look at some of the previous examiner reports to develop a rough idea on what is expected.

Also I don't want to sound pushy, but if there is anyone who has seen my previous question and know the answer, could you please explain it to me. :)
Future engineer

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #332 on: October 05, 2016, 08:43:55 pm »
^AFAIk i've seen someone get a 8/10 for the extended response section for the 2013 VCAA exam by writing 1 page [that's it] , however , i generally find i have to use all the lines given, maybe 4-5 lines leftover? :) again , quality>quantity
Uni and life

jayleno

• Forum Regular
« Reply #333 on: October 09, 2016, 11:13:31 pm »
During a game of squash Andrew is hit in his left eye with a squash ball. His doctor says his sight will not be affected but he will have to keep the eye bandaged for a few weeks. With his left eye covered, information from Andrew's right eye will be processed in the

A)occipital lobe of the left hemisphere.
B)occipital lobe of both the right and left hemispheres.
C)temporal lobe of both the left and right hemispheres.
D)temporal lobe of the right hemisphere.

Hey guys what's the answer to this , the answers say it is B in my Cambridge book but is it right?

DailyInsanity

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Northcote HIgh School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #334 on: October 09, 2016, 11:21:40 pm »
During a game of squash Andrew is hit in his left eye with a squash ball. His doctor says his sight will not be affected but he will have to keep the eye bandaged for a few weeks. With his left eye covered, information from Andrew's right eye will be processed in the

A)occipital lobe of the left hemisphere.
B)occipital lobe of both the right and left hemispheres.
C)temporal lobe of both the left and right hemispheres.
D)temporal lobe of the right hemisphere.

Hey guys what's the answer to this , the answers say it is B in my Cambridge book but is it right?

Yep that is right. Remember that is not simply visual information that goes in right eye processed by left hemisphere but that the light that hits the right side of his retina will be sent to left hemisphere and light that his the left side of his retina will be sent to his right hemisphere. So light that goes in one eye will still be processed by occipital lobes of both cerebral hemispheres. Hope that helps!

molecular.

• Trailblazer
  • School: MCE
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #335 on: October 09, 2016, 11:48:40 pm »
Use the following information to answer Question 51-54.
Kim, Lonnie and Vivian are good friends who play together in a Soccer team on Saturday mornings. Their mothers take them each week and while the girls are playing their mothers have a coffee and a chat. They usually complain about having to tidy up after the girls. They decide that they will each use a different strategy to encourage their girls to keep their rooms tidy and report back on which is the most effective after 4 weeks.

Question 51
Kim’s mother decides to use a fixed-ratio schedule of reinforcement where she
A. gives Kim extra pocket money if her room is tidy when she checks it each week on Sunday.
B. checks the room daily but won’t always give Kim extra pocket money, even if she finds the room
tidy.
C. checks the room daily and rewards Kim at irregular intervals, as long as the room is tidy.
D. checks the room daily and always gives Kim pocket money as long as the room is tidy.

I think it is D. This is because fixed ratio is the {'set' = fixed} {'number'= ratio} of reinforcers for a correct response- so after a set number, given that it is a correct response, a reinforcer is given. Option A is incorrect as it is an interval because its Sunday and not after one response. Option B is incorrect because is wrong because a reinforcer isnt given every single time, which occurs in fixed ratio. Again, Option C is at irregular intervals when it shoudl be fixed.

Question 52
Kim’s mother notices a continuing trend with the schedule of reinforcement she has chosen to use.
A. Kim’s room is always clean.
B. Kim’s room is never clean.
C. Kim’s room is cleaned on Saturday night and is dirty again by Tuesday morning.
D. Kim’s room is cleaned on Sunday night and is dirty again by Tuesday morning.

Should be A. Option B - Why would it neve be clean if the girl gets a reinforcer everytime she cleans her room? Option C and D are related to time interval and it was referring to fixed ratio before.   

Question 53
Which schedule of reinforcement would be more effective in encouraging Kim to keep her room tidy throughout the week?
A. Continuousreinforcement B. Variable-ratio
C. Fixed-interval
D. Variable-interval.

Can't be option D because it just doesn't fit the context - like would variable-interval actually work? Option C is maybe. Option B is partial reinforcement so that is good for long term, after a while Kim would keep her room clean all the time. Look, I'm not 100% but ill say C. These are difficult and sometimes its just that there are more than one answer, but one answer is just more sutiable.

Btw please check the answers to see if I know what I am doing haha because I'm still learning my psych notes so I might not be the best one to tell u.

If someone could take the time to answer these and explain why, it would be very much appreciated :)

DailyInsanity

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Northcote HIgh School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #336 on: October 10, 2016, 06:07:27 pm »
Hi, could someone please explain why using a random sampling technique such as random stratified sampling wouldn't lead to the introduction of participant related variables, but a non-random sampling method like stratified sampling would?

Many Thanks.

Tess_r3

• Adventurer
« Reply #337 on: October 14, 2016, 07:41:00 am »
I know that this is a really generalized question but i need help on ER. I am making sure to address each of the dot point suggestions, but i ma never scoring more then about a 6. I there any tips. I have asked two different teachers at my school for help, but they have given me different answers. one teacher said never dot point in ER as them may only count the first ten, whilst another said that you should may dot point paragraphs. Is it true that you are nto only marked for the content but also the coherence?? If anyone has some tips that would be great. 
Aggregate 193.81
Atar: 99.15
Math Methods (36), Chemistry (40, Psychology (50), English Language (44), Environmental science (46), Further Maths (44)

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #338 on: October 14, 2016, 11:37:13 am »
I know that this is a really generalized question but i need help on ER. I am making sure to address each of the dot point suggestions, but i ma never scoring more then about a 6. I there any tips. I have asked two different teachers at my school for help, but they have given me different answers. one teacher said never dot point in ER as them may only count the first ten, whilst another said that you should may dot point paragraphs. Is it true that you are nto only marked for the content but also the coherence?? If anyone has some tips that would be great.
write equally for each section. From examiners, i hear its marked holistically, so while it may seem that an explanation of extraneous variable may be short or whatever, writing each dot point they specify to an equal length is important. :) probs looking through examiner reports would be useful
Uni and life

Tess_r3

• Adventurer
« Reply #339 on: October 15, 2016, 08:54:09 am »
Thanks for the reply HasibA
I have another question...this subject is confusing.
I just hit a VCAA question i am not sure on. It was 2010 exam 2, and talked about the decay theory. It said that the decay theory applies to all short term memory, sensory memory and long term memory, but I thought it only applied to long term memory? Thea answer was weird and said that ABCand D where all correct!!. Its question 6.  So does this mean i have to take it that the decay theory can apply to all registers?
Aggregate 193.81
Atar: 99.15
Math Methods (36), Chemistry (40, Psychology (50), English Language (44), Environmental science (46), Further Maths (44)

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2016, 04:36:58 pm »
For section c, does 'a description of the weaknesses of the experimental design' include weaknesses of the sampling method?
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #341 on: October 16, 2016, 06:23:18 pm »
For section c, does 'a description of the weaknesses of the experimental design' include weaknesses of the sampling method?
No, it refers to weaknesses of independent groups, repeated measures or matched-participants design!

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2016, 06:26:04 pm »
hi!
Can someone tell me what'd they answer to this?
'Describe two ways in which categorical approach is a better approach than dimensional approach.' [2 marks]

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2016, 06:33:42 pm »
No, it refers to weaknesses of independent groups, repeated measures or matched-participants design!
Ok, because in the suggested answer it also mentions situational variables, the experimenter effect and the placebo effect.
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #344 on: October 16, 2016, 07:21:29 pm »
Ok, because in the suggested answer it also mentions situational variables, the experimenter effect and the placebo effect.
I was assuming there'd be more dot points asking you to address those? What does the question say exactly?