Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:10:18 am

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767593 times)  Share 

izzydes

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #17415 on: December 17, 2017, 09:43:14 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if SEAS applicants are supposed to receive an email from unimelb confirming that their applications have been accepted? Some people have received a confirmation from Monash regarding the guarantee
I applied for SEAS when I was applying last year and never heard anything about it. But I think because my ATAR was enough to get in without the bump up they didn't offer me any sort of guarantee or anything - so that could be why? ....but I could be wrong ahaha
I think SEAS stuff is handled by Access Melbourne which deals with guarantees: https://access.unimelb.edu.au/home hopefully you can find something here that helps!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:45:15 pm by izzydes »
VCE // ATAR 98.35
2015: Bio [40]
2016: Studio Art [48], Psych [47], English [44], Viscom [43], Further [37]
2017-?: Bachelor of Design @UniMelb (Architecture Major)

Notarobot

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17416 on: December 18, 2017, 08:52:55 pm »
+3
I got a high enough atar to get into the course I'm looking into but I'm also worried that I'll still be judged. I'm happy with my atar, but there are going to be people with atars a lot high than mine.

If you get in to the course, then your ATAR is good enough. There will be people with higher and lower ATAR rankings. Nobody will know what your ATAR is unless you tell them. Once you are admitted the ATAR has served its purpose. There is no reason for anyone to compare ATAR scores. If they do, you can choose not to worry about that.

I had some hip cups in year 12 due to illness and stuff and I managed to push through it, but I'm now worrying over my ability to cope with uni (more work, new people, different way of doing everything etc.)

There are a lot of support services. There is special consideration and there can be adjustments if you have a health condition that the Uni knows about (investigate student equity and disability support services). You can talk to the counselling service. The Uni wants you to seek help if you need it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:12:59 pm by Notarobot »
2017: English, Psychology, Legal Studies, Further Maths, Global Politics.
2016: Business Management

Notarobot

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17417 on: December 18, 2017, 09:11:22 pm »
+1
Hi, I was wondering if SEAS applicants are supposed to receive an email from unimelb confirming that their applications have been accepted? Some people have received a confirmation from Monash regarding the guarantee
I went to the unimelb course information day today and the helpful person at the Access Melbourne info desk was able to check and confirm that my application was accepted. So I suggest that you contact Access Melbourne yourself. It seems like there's no email.

accoleg

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17418 on: December 18, 2017, 09:19:37 pm »
I went to the unimelb course information day today and the helpful person at the Access Melbourne info desk was able to check and confirm that my application was accepted. So I suggest that you contact Access Melbourne yourself. It seems like there's no email.
legit same! how'd you find the uni? I really liked the alumni q&a and opportunities they talked about, conversely, it completely turned my mate off going to UoM

Notarobot

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17419 on: December 18, 2017, 10:02:14 pm »
legit same! how'd you find the uni? I really liked the alumni q&a and opportunities they talked about, conversely, it completely turned my mate off going to UoM

I can't compare it to other Unis because I was always deadset on going to Melbourne due to the model appealing to my lack of clear life aims lol. I only really went in to ask a few specific questions but everyone seemed pretty nice and the campus is mint haha.

Yacoubb

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #17420 on: December 20, 2017, 11:53:59 am »
Hi all,

I have a quick question in regards to Honours/GPA. I'm applying for Medicine next year while I complete my Honours year, and my current enrolment stands that I'm doing 2 12.5 credit point subjects in first semester, a 25-credit point subject in semester 1 which is continued in semester 2 as a continued subject (also worth 25 points). Will universities only consider the 12.5 credit point subjects in semester 1 calculations of GPA since the assessment for my 25 credit point subjects are only at the end of the year (which would therefore not be considered)?

Thanks!
2013-2014: VCE
2015-2017: BSc. at University of Melbourne. Majoring in Microbiology & Immunology.
2018: Honours - Restoring immunocompetency in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
2019-2022: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Deakin University

Completed VCE Biology in 2013 with a study score of 47. Offering tutoring in VCE Biology for 2020 in Geelong region! PM me for more details.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #17421 on: December 20, 2017, 04:37:51 pm »

Hi all,

I have a quick question in regards to Honours/GPA. I'm applying for Medicine next year while I complete my Honours year, and my current enrolment stands that I'm doing 2 12.5 credit point subjects in first semester, a 25-credit point subject in semester 1 which is continued in semester 2 as a continued subject (also worth 25 points). Will universities only consider the 12.5 credit point subjects in semester 1 calculations of GPA since the assessment for my 25 credit point subjects are only at the end of the year (which would therefore not be considered)?

Thanks!

Correct. Whatever grades you have by the end of Sem1 will be counted. Those that you don’t have, will not be
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

lovebiology

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17422 on: December 23, 2017, 09:17:39 pm »
Hi does anyone know how to accept your offer???? I just finished year 12 and recently received a Student ID in my offer letter. I got onto the Get Started at Melbourne University website, I applied as a new student and a totally separate student account was created!! A new student ID has been made which is different to the one I recieved in my offer. There is nowhere I could upload the files that were required in the offer letter or even use the student ID that I received in my mail. Can anyone tell me where i got wrong in my steps?

notes3075

• Trailblazer
  • Just Do It.
« Reply #17423 on: December 26, 2017, 02:34:03 pm »
Hi all,

Specifically to those in the BCom (majoring in accounting) who did IFA2 (ACCT20002) in 2017, could you please provide a quick recap of what was covered (i.e. if it is similar to previous years, if it really is centred around debits and credits like IFA1, stuff like that)?

Cheers
2016: VCE, ATAR: 98.20
2017-2019: BCom (Economics/Finance) @ UniMelb, H1 WAM

omcgil15

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #17424 on: December 26, 2017, 03:48:32 pm »
Hi all,

Specifically to those in the BCom (majoring in accounting) who did IFA2 (ACCT20002) in 2017, could you please provide a quick recap of what was covered (i.e. if it is similar to previous years, if it really is centred around debits and credits like IFA1, stuff like that)?

Cheers
Hey,
I completed IFA2 Sem 2 2017. There is a debit/credit component to almost every topic, with the final exam testing your ability to replicate general journal/consolidation journal entries for around 50-60% of the marks.
In terms of topics covered, consolidation spans 3 weeks, and every other topic is maximum one week. Some of the topics include: Fair value, revaluations, leases, financial instruments, revenue, investments in associates and foreign currency translations. These topics are all similar to previous years, however some accounting standards (such as revenue) have been updated over the last few years.
If you have any other questions feel free to let me know :)
BCOM @ UniMelb - 3rd Year Accounting/Finance Majors

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #17425 on: December 28, 2017, 05:20:46 pm »
To study a language at UoM, does one first need to take a skill test to discern ability? I’ve heard conflicting views.

Thanks in advance  :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:22:32 pm by clarke54321 »
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #17426 on: December 28, 2017, 05:27:07 pm »
+3
To study a language at UoM, does one first need to take a skill test to discern ability? I’ve heard conflicting views.

Thanks in advance  :)

You only have to do the test if you want to study a language starting from an entry point above level 1.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #17427 on: December 28, 2017, 05:49:55 pm »
You only have to do the test if you want to study a language starting from an entry point above level 1.

Are you able to shed light on what this placement test involves? Will I need to write a long text, or just answer short questions?

Thanks!
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

RKTR

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #17428 on: December 28, 2017, 05:58:22 pm »
+1
Are you able to shed light on what this placement test involves? Will I need to write a long text, or just answer short questions?

Thanks!
http://arts.unimelb.edu.au/asiainstitute/students/placement-tests
http://arts.unimelb.edu.au/soll/resources/language-placement-testing
i tried the chinese and indonesian ones before. for the chinese one the questionaire provided enough info so i did not need to do the placement test. i did the test for the indonesian one and iirc there was no essay writing. the only 2 parts I remembered were finding words that are wrong in a passage and fill in the blanks of a passage with suitable words
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience)
2018: Doctor of Medicine (Withdrawn)
2019: Bachelor of Commerce (Actuarial Studies?)

notes3075

• Trailblazer
  • Just Do It.
« Reply #17429 on: December 28, 2017, 08:19:57 pm »
Yeah, since no-one's responded to the thread I created just over a ago (and that I'm a bit of a keen one), thought I might post it again here in the hope of a response:

I'm deciding between the following finance electives for year 3 (alongside the compulsory FNCE30001 Investments and FNCE30007 Derivative Securities):

FNCE30003 - International Finance
    FNCE30004 - Asian Capital Markets
    FNCE30006 - Entrepreneurial Finance
    FNCE30010 - Algorithmic Trading

I'm leaning towards Algo Trading right now, but any feedback from those who have done these subjects would be well appreciated (a subject review for the above subjects would also be nice).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:46:40 am by notes3075 »
2016: VCE, ATAR: 98.20
2017-2019: BCom (Economics/Finance) @ UniMelb, H1 WAM