Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:25:07 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570530 times)  Share 

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #12750 on: July 07, 2020, 07:56:20 pm »
+7
Thanks also
For this question:
How do mutation and sexual reproduction contribute to natural variation within a species.

- Sexual reproduction increases genetic variation in offspring which contributes to variation within a species. Crossing over which is the exchange of alleles between homologous chromosomes and Independent assortment result in genetic variability in the offspring. Mutation contributes to variation within a species by altering the base sequence of DNA resulting in new alleles of a particular trait.

Hey Chocolatepistachio!

This is a good response so far, but just adding onto 1729's suggestion:

"Sexual reproduction (can) increases genetic variation in offspring a genus by granting natural which contributes to variation within an offspring and ultimately its species. Crossing over which is the exchange of alleles between homologous chromosomes and independent assortment (Define 'independent assortment'). Both processes occur in Meiosis resulting in genetic variability as different combinations of genes are formed in the gametes, prompting variance in an offspring. Mutation contributes to variation within a species by altering the base sequence of DNA resulting in new alleles of a particular trait." (In the next sentence explain what the effect of this new trait has for a species)

I hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:02:15 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #12751 on: July 07, 2020, 11:22:56 pm »
+4
Thank you!

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12752 on: July 08, 2020, 04:04:54 pm »
Hello what do you guys think for this question
Plants perform the light reactions of photosynthesis during the day. However plants also carry out cellular respiration
It was once proposed that large tanks of photosynthetic algae could supply astronauts in spacecraft with oxygen and remove carbon. Do you think this would work why or why not?

This is what I was thinking
- this would not work because there would not be much sunlight , the algae needs to be in water and you would need to be able to get the oxygen out of the tank . The tanks would be quite heavy

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #12753 on: July 08, 2020, 05:54:09 pm »
+4
Hello what do you guys think for this question
Plants perform the light reactions of photosynthesis during the day. However plants also carry out cellular respiration
It was once proposed that large tanks of photosynthetic algae could supply astronauts in spacecraft with oxygen and remove carbon. Do you think this would work why or why not?

This is what I was thinking
- this would not work because there would not be much sunlight , the algae needs to be in water and you would need to be able to get the oxygen out of the tank . The tanks would be quite heavy
That's a cool question. I'm not completely sure to be honest, but I'll try my best, (but don't take what I say as correct).
I would say, yes, this could work, the algae would use the astronauts CO2 in photosynthesis and release O2 as a waste product. Types of algae can be much more efficient than plants for photosynthesis. Algae is able to photosynthesise in low light intensity conditions.
(Maybe it's one of those questions where you are right either way if you back it up?) I think what you've said about the weight/ space it could take up are good arguments against it.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12754 on: July 09, 2020, 04:15:20 pm »
What is the function of the pericycle and cortex in the root

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12755 on: July 09, 2020, 05:33:45 pm »
+6
What is the function of the pericycle and cortex in the root

Hey Chocolatepistachio!

The Pericycle is a vascular bundle composed of parenchyma (non-vascular cells for the Pericycle only) and sclerenchyma cells whereas the Cortex is the outer layer of a stem composed of large parenchyma cells.

🌱Pericycle Function = Provide support, protection and helps with the creation of new roots. The Pericycle also helps hold the plant upright for allowing for optimal growth

🌴Cortex Function = Responsible for storing and the transportation of nutrients (e.g. Carbohydrates) and water throughout a plant, via diffusion.

I hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 05:39:10 pm by Coolmate »
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12756 on: July 10, 2020, 11:03:12 am »
+1
Thank you!!
Also for this question
How is it thought that eukaryotic cells obtained mitochondria and chloroplasts.

Is this right
- Mitochondria and chloroplasts used to be free living prokaryotes until they were engulfed by eukaryotes. Mitochondria and chloroplasts evolved from engulfed prokaryotes that once lived as an independent organism

SockInfinite

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #12757 on: July 10, 2020, 11:09:29 am »
+7
Thank you!!
Also for this question
How is it thought that eukaryotic cells obtained mitochondria and chloroplasts.

Is this right
- Mitochondria and chloroplasts used to be free living prokaryotes until they were engulfed by eukaryotes. Mitochondria and chloroplasts evolved from engulfed prokaryotes that once lived as an independent organism
Looks good to me. You should also include the mutualistic relationship between the eukaryotes and mitochondria + chloroplasts - pretty much how one benefited the other and vise versa

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12758 on: July 10, 2020, 12:58:50 pm »
+1
For this question
Different cells in an organism and cells from different organisms require different types of food. Does this mean that these cells are chemically different explain
Is this right
- these cells are not chemically different because all cells contain DNA which is composed of a nucleotide which contains a phosphate, sugar and a base

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #12759 on: July 10, 2020, 01:52:41 pm »
+3
For this question
Different cells in an organism and cells from different organisms require different types of food. Does this mean that these cells are chemically different explain
Is this right
- these cells are not chemically different because all cells contain DNA which is composed of a nucleotide which contains a phosphate, sugar and a base
I think maybe you should add evidence of other organelles that are common within many cells. Talk about more macromolecules
And how their compositon for specific things are the same across species. They are essential for life, lipids are responsible for the cell membrane nucleic acids are important within DNA and also provides evidence for common ancestry, proteins are composed of amino acids which living organisms produce through protein synthesis.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 03:22:27 pm by 1729 »

miyukiaura

• Trendsetter
  • per aspera ad astra
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #12760 on: July 10, 2020, 02:44:12 pm »
For the last question in the 2012 unit 3 exam, it asked for two conditions other than CO2 supply that you would need to control to keep growing conditions of a plant at optimum level. In the examiner's report it accepted temperature, light, water and lack of competition, but they did not accept oxygen. Why is this?

(Here's the link for convenience: https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/biology/2012/Biology1_assessrep_12.pdf)
Offering 50 raw English tutoring, PM for details

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12761 on: July 10, 2020, 03:22:30 pm »
Is apoptosis reversible

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #12762 on: July 10, 2020, 03:31:04 pm »
+6
For the last question in the 2012 unit 3 exam, it asked for two conditions other than CO2 supply that you would need to control to keep growing conditions of a plant at optimum level. In the examiner's report it accepted temperature, light, water and lack of competition, but they did not accept oxygen. Why is this?

(Here's the link for convenience: https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/biology/2012/Biology1_assessrep_12.pdf)
I think it would be because it's because the question is based around photosynthesis, so they are looking for factors that influence photosynthesis rate, and because oxygen is a by product, not an input, it won't be important here.

Is apoptosis reversible
No, the cell is destroyed and digested.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12763 on: July 10, 2020, 04:08:08 pm »
Can someone explain epistasis I don’t really understand it

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12764 on: July 10, 2020, 04:19:19 pm »
+4
Can someone explain epistasis I don’t really understand it

Hey Chocolatepistachio,

This article/ resource is by "Biology Dictionary" and has the definition of Epistasis, types of epistasis and different kinds of examples to help you understand this concept:
https://biologydictionary.net/epistasis/

Also, this video by "AK LECTURES" explains what Epistasis is with a few examples (skip to 2:50):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEltUZ0_gDQ

I hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 04:25:27 pm by Coolmate »

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5