Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:29:57 am

Author Topic: Just Another HSC Journal  (Read 23791 times)

Fluffysama_

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
Re: Just In Time? - Justin's HSC Journal
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2020, 08:35:32 pm »
+1
same, procrastinating for english right now but I guess most people just lurk

HAHAHAH " lurk" thats the best use of the english language, to express how people "lurk" dw dw bro, we are all procrastinating ehehhehe I'm having wayyy too much fun
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
Re: Just Another HSC Journal
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2020, 08:21:48 pm »
+10
Hey everyone,

Quick update to say that I've just gotten an early entry offer to ANU (Flexible Double in Advanced Computing and International Security)!!! My trials have been pretty bad so far so seeing that email this morning has been absolutely amazing! I still have to deal with all the paperwork and logistics in terms of accommodation and whether I'm going to put in a UAC application but I figure I'll get all that done after trials.

Back in terms of trials, my essay writing is really dragging me down, the best I can do is hit about 3 pages of exam paper in 40-60 minutes which really doesn't seem like enough to get enough depth. Luckily, my 3 hardest exams (English, Maths, and History Extension) were last week, and I have Modern tomorrow which is half short answer. I'm been pretty distracted today with looking into ANU but in general, I've been trying to revise as best I can but I don't think I'm getting the depth I'm needing for longer response question. At this point, I don't really have a choice but to just try my best. Luckily, it only gets easier from here for my last 3 exams.

Hope everyone else has been well and is smashing their trials!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 08:32:17 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2020, 08:30:39 pm »
+5
Congrats on your early offer!!  :D

Good luck for your next 3 exams!  :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2020, 10:51:20 pm »
Congrats on the ANU offer!!! I got an offer too, I only realised when my friends told me they got in as well HAHA
GOOD LUCK FOR MODERN AND YOUR NEXT EXAMS !!!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Justin_L

• HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2020, 11:52:32 am »
Congrats on the ANU offer!!! I got an offer too, I only realised when my friends told me they got in as well HAHA
GOOD LUCK FOR MODERN AND YOUR NEXT EXAMS !!!

Congrats to you as well! Did you end up getting International Relations like you wanted?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:21:11 pm by Justin_L »

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2020, 04:33:28 pm »
+1
Congrats to you as well! Did you end up getting International Relations like you wanted?

Yessssss I did! Thanks :D
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Justin_L

• HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2020, 10:09:31 pm »
+6
End of trials update! I finished trials yesterday and it's weird, because I thought that it would feel like a huge relief that I'd finished but in all honestly, it just feels exceptionally anti-climatic and even a bit sad now that I'm realising there's so little time left of high school. 6 weeks left of T3, holidays, 1 week back then HSC!

On the upside, I've been doing some preliminary at the logistics of going to ANU and it actually seems pretty feasible which surprised me. I think I'll be eligible for Youth Allowance which will cover accommodation and the general cost of living, which I can supplement with part time or casual work while studying. I don't think I'll be eligible for any scholarships and so I'll probably try and get a job right after HSC to start saving up and becoming more independent in terms of money and living. There are still so many unknowns, I don't even know. I've accepted my degree offer but I'm going to hold off on my accommodation offer until I have a clearer picture of things.

While I'm getting that sorted, I'm going to spend the downtime after trials to keep applying for alternate entry at other unis and get my UAC application up as a backup, just to keep my options open. Doing trials have also made me realise how incomplete my notes are and really which subjects I'm strong and weak at, which is nice I suppose but a bit of a reality check. Uhh my writing speed is still pissing me off, I saw a powerpoint that said the expected length for a History Extension response is 8 pages but I only wrote around 3 and a bit and so I really need to find some way to work on that, and same for all my other essay subjects. How is it that there's still so much to do???

Thanks for reading, and I hope everyone else's trials have gone well! (And good luck if you're doing them/preparing to do them)!

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2020, 10:55:27 pm »
+1
End of trials update! I finished trials yesterday and it's weird, because I thought that it would feel like a huge relief that I'd finished but in all honestly, it just feels exceptionally anti-climatic and even a bit sad now that I'm realising there's so little time left of high school. 6 weeks left of T3, holidays, 1 week back then HSC!

On the upside, I've been doing some preliminary at the logistics of going to ANU and it actually seems pretty feasible which surprised me. I think I'll be eligible for Youth Allowance which will cover accommodation and the general cost of living, which I can supplement with part time or casual work while studying. I don't think I'll be eligible for any scholarships and so I'll probably try and get a job right after HSC to start saving up and becoming more independent in terms of money and living. There are still so many unknowns, I don't even know. I've accepted my degree offer but I'm going to hold off on my accommodation offer until I have a clearer picture of things.

While I'm getting that sorted, I'm going to spend the downtime after trials to keep applying for alternate entry at other unis and get my UAC application up as a backup, just to keep my options open. Doing trials have also made me realise how incomplete my notes are and really which subjects I'm strong and weak at, which is nice I suppose but a bit of a reality check. Uhh my writing speed is still pissing me off, I saw a powerpoint that said the expected length for a History Extension response is 8 pages but I only wrote around 3 and a bit and so I really need to find some way to work on that, and same for all my other essay subjects. How is it that there's still so much to do???

Thanks for reading, and I hope everyone else's trials have gone well! (And good luck if you're doing them/preparing to do them)!

Woohoo!🎉 Well Done Justin_L for finishing trials, this is a great achievement.👏👏
Goodluck for the rest of your HSC studies :)

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2020, 09:07:52 pm »
+1
Hey Justin, I finally got around to reading your journal and it's was so much fun!
AMAZING job on getting the early offer at ANU you're going to kill it  ;D
Congrats on finishing your trials and I'm already looking forward to the next update!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Justin_L

• HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2020, 08:04:17 pm »
+11
🥔
Hey Justin, I finally got around to reading your journal and it's was so much fun!
AMAZING job on getting the early offer at ANU you're going to kill it  ;D
Congrats on finishing your trials and I'm already looking forward to the next update!

Thanks homeworkispotato! Really appreciate the support, I smiled reading this!
Post Trials Update

Hey y'all, I've received all of my trials marks back as of this week! Seeing as I haven't updated in ages, now seems a good a time as any.

I'm not disappointed with my trials, but I'm not totally happy either:

Software: 90%
VET Entertainment: 97%
Modern History: 80%
History Extension: 76%
English Advanced: 59%
Maths Advanced: 49%

I did as expected for Software and Entertainment, below expectations for History (Was hoping for A range) and Math (Would have been happy with a pass haha), but totally bombed English. I was expecting a 70% at least, but I ended up with 59%. I'm not sure I agree with my teacher on how the reading task was marked, but in terms of length, I definitely see why I couldn't do better without writing substantially more, which also definitely applies for History Extension.

Good news is, I did a small experiment today in my double free where I just wrote out some pre-prepared Mod C stuff for an 40 minutes and found that I can reach about 900 words if I'm writing the entire time without thinking. I guess this means that my writing speed itself is relatively ok, it's just that I need to practice "thinking" faster by knowing the content and improving on handwriting speed where I can.

Obviously, these scores mean nothing without ranks which I'm still waiting on. I'm a bit worried because my progress really stagnated since trials and I've done minimal revision. HSC is only in a few weeks time, and I know I need to up my game at this point. Even if I do have an offer I'd still like to do well if only to prove that I can, as well as to keep up my rank so I don't screw over everyone below me in terms of moderation. I have some friends who aren't doing that great ranking wise and really need that cohort boost so they don't get scaled down.

It's times like this that I really do miss year 10 and even 11. My business teacher always told us that failing to plan was planning to fail, but following plans and being responsible does get boring. Just small things like the freedom to pop over to study at the mall and deciding to take an extra scenic bus route home which just isn't particularly smart or responsible these days.

That's all I have to say I guess. Hope everyone's been well, and that you all get the results you wanted!

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2020, 01:18:23 pm »
+1
Hey Justin_L!
Amazing job in Software and Entertainment! Getting above 90 is no easy feat. I totally understand being disappointed in our marks but don't worry, you've got this! Just few more weeks so pump it out!
It's great that you've already found your weaknesses and are working to fix it. I know that it sucks that we can't go out to the mall because of coronavirus, but hang in there. Even if we never go back to 'normal' just know that we are all in this together and reach out to us if you ever need to talk. It's okay to take a little break and HSC is nearly over so you've got this!

All the best and looking forward to the next update!

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2020, 06:50:38 pm »
+1
What matters most is that you are always learning from your strengths and weaknesses! We're at the homestretch now, keep on pushing !!!

Justin_L

• HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2020, 08:42:02 pm »
+7
🥔/Alice343
Thanks y'all! You guys are the best!

Random Update
Hey y'all! I don't actually have an update but I just wanted to introduce you all to E4:

(EDIT: idk why but if the image is stretched you may have to click it to see it properly)

For context, this is going to be our class gift to our History Extension teacher since she has a plant called Band 6 (Not sure of it's origin story) and we thought it'd be fitting as the extension class to gift her the extension variant (Seeing as an E4 is equivalent to a Band 6).

So uhh, that's it. Hoping this plant does bring good luck and we get lots of E4s (She claims Band 6 brings good luck).

Other than that, 10 days until we finish classes for good! How crazy is that! I know how a lot of people are saying it's bittersweet and whatnot, but I am so pumped to just to get this year over with and graduate. I really don't want to study anymore but for these final weeks, I suppose I've just got to push through and give it my best shot. To anyone else with me in the endgame, good luck and I truly believe in all of you!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:47:31 pm by Justin_L »

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 03:10:14 pm »
E4 is SOO cute! Your class is so sweet!

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2020, 11:34:59 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

Quick update to say that I've just gotten an early entry offer to ANU (Flexible Double in Advanced Computing and International Security)!!! My trials have been pretty bad so far so seeing that email this morning has been absolutely amazing! I still have to deal with all the paperwork and logistics in terms of accommodation and whether I'm going to put in a UAC application but I figure I'll get all that done after trials.

Back in terms of trials, my essay writing is really dragging me down, the best I can do is hit about 3 pages of exam paper in 40-60 minutes which really doesn't seem like enough to get enough depth. Luckily, my 3 hardest exams (English, Maths, and History Extension) were last week, and I have Modern tomorrow which is half short answer. I'm been pretty distracted today with looking into ANU but in general, I've been trying to revise as best I can but I don't think I'm getting the depth I'm needing for longer response question. At this point, I don't really have a choice but to just try my best. Luckily, it only gets easier from here for my last 3 exams.

Hope everyone else has been well and is smashing their trials!

I've just been reading your posts and just wanted to say congrats on your early offer! it's definitely something to be proud of and a big motivator!!
Remember, pain is temporary, but the HSC is for life
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021
Eng Adv, Eng Ext 1, Eng Ext 2, Society and Culture, Modern History, Math Adv, Community and Family Studies