Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:43:13 am

Author Topic: PSYCHOLOGY UNIT 1 & 2  (Read 3416 times)  Share 

ayesha2011t

PSYCHOLOGY UNIT 1 & 2
« on: July 21, 2016, 05:04:04 pm »
Basically, I picked up unit 2 of psych. The only reason behind that was because I had a subject crisis (wasn't being allowed to change to a different teacher's class) and the only way to be allowed was to pick another subject. I like psychology, think it sounds cool but don't know anything about it. Even though I'm planning on dropping it at the end of the year and it is my subject of last concern, still wanna do well.

Soo, what were the main topics done in unit 1 and what's an easy way for me to do well in class/tests without spending too much time doing the work?

Thanks heaps!

scarletmoon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: PSYCHOLOGY UNIT 1 & 2
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 05:22:40 pm »
tbh everything taught in psych unit 1&2 (except research methods) is pretty irrelevant and is not required to do well in units 3&4 since the content is entirely different. But do pay attention to the research methods parts of the course, if you can understand that really well, units 3&4 will become much easier.
2016-2019 Bachelor of Science @ UoM

ayesha2011t

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 06:53:30 pm »

tbh everything taught in psych unit 1&2 (except research methods) is pretty irrelevant and is not required to do well in units 3&4 since the content is entirely different. But do pay attention to the research methods parts of the course, if you can understand that really well, units 3&4 will become much easier.

I want to drop it at the end of the year, just wanted to know main things for unit 2 so I at least don't fail

scarletmoon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:51:02 pm »
I suggest that you go through study design on the VCAA website, it's all there
2016-2019 Bachelor of Science @ UoM

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 08:16:17 pm »
a.t, I won't be the most updated person on the latest Psychology syllabus, seeing as I haven't done Psych for 3 years and last I heard, they did a massive overhaul soon after I did it.

As far as I can remember, most of Unit 1 was really about research methods (so how to write a psychology report, how they research, what sort of stuff psychologists do, what psychology really is, etc.), psychological development and a few more topics that I forgot. Most of the stuff you probably need to focus on though is the research methods. (According to the study guide, it doesn't look like research methods is on there, but I only skim read it, so maybe I'm missing something here.) It looks like you should focus on knowing the intrinsic side of psychology (brain, brain functions, etc.), children's psychological development and several of the big debates, which should give you more insight to another side of psychology to the one you're currently learning in Unit 2.

As I said, I'm not updated, so I think your best bet it to read through the 2016 Psychology study design for unit 1 (see pages 14-19 of link) and then follow up on that with the appropriate reading and research. If you want to double check, I'd advise you see your teacher, particularly for Outcome 3 as that will vary from school to school, and see how you can catch up.

I apologise for not being able to help you much.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

ayesha2011t

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 09:40:46 pm »

a.t, I won't be the most updated person on the latest Psychology syllabus, seeing as I haven't done Psych for 3 years and last I heard, they did a massive overhaul soon after I did it.

As far as I can remember, most of Unit 1 was really about research methods (so how to write a psychology report, how they research, what sort of stuff psychologists do, what psychology really is, etc.), psychological development and a few more topics that I forgot. Most of the stuff you probably need to focus on though is the research methods. (According to the study guide, it doesn't look like research methods is on there, but I only skim read it, so maybe I'm missing something here.) It looks like you should focus on knowing the intrinsic side of psychology (brain, brain functions, etc.), children's psychological development and several of the big debates, which should give you more insight to another side of psychology to the one you're currently learning in Unit 2.

As I said, I'm not updated, so I think your best bet it to read through the 2016 Psychology study design for unit 1 (see pages 14-19 of link) and then follow up on that with the appropriate reading and research. If you want to double check, I'd advise you see your teacher, particularly for Outcome 3 as that will vary from school to school, and see how you can catch up.

I apologise for not being able to help you much.

You were a huge help Angelwings! Thanks for clearing my doubts and providing the link