Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 01:59:33 pm

Author Topic: Best Module for Students who do Methods?  (Read 834 times)  Share 

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
Best Module for Students who do Methods?
« on: June 27, 2020, 07:11:39 pm »
Hello!

I am currently taking further 3/4 (and methods 3/4) in year 11 and I was looking for some advice. As only one module is required for the exam this year, my school will finish the course very early (term 3 week 2-3ish). My school has chosen the networks module however I do not love the "trial and error" aspect of it. While I will have to complete a SAC on networks, I am looking to possibly learn another module as well for the exam. My school is very supportive of this and they may actually be teaching the matrices module in class.

I was wondering which module is "easier" for a strong methods type student to undertake. I am looking between the graphs and matrices modules. I know matrices is very popular, does that affect VCAAs difficulty?

So: Matrices or Graphs?

Thanks in advance!

eloisegrace :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: Best Module for Students who do Methods?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 11:29:20 am »
+2
If you are looking for one with greater overlap with methods content, then I recommend graphs and relations :)

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

plato

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 11:45:40 pm »
I nominate Matrices. .

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 12:49:03 am »
+2
Graphs is basically cut and paste from methods, plus a few extra things

Matrices has a LOT of definitions in further that aren't in methods. They're not hard or anything, it's just extra work

IMO, graphs has the less to learn. But also, have you spoken to your school about this? Be aware you'll likely still have to do a SAC on networks

mathsTeacher82

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 07:47:57 pm »
+2
Hi eloisegrace,

The Graphs and Relations module has more overlap with Methods than the Matrices module. However, the most challenging topic in Graphs (Linear Programming) has concepts that are not covered in Methods. So if you want to take the Graphs module, you will need to focus on Linear Programming - make sure you learn it really well and master the more difficult aspects of it.

However, you are probably aware that there is significant overlap between the Matrices and Networks modules. If your class teacher is teaching the Matrices module, it may be easier for you to learn these two modules really well.

Then you can use your reading time to decide which module to answer on each exam. Particularly in Exam 1, where you might find a really challenging question on one module, but feel more confident about the last few questions in another module.

Good luck!