Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:35:08 am

Author Topic: Need oral presentation ideas for SAC  (Read 3500 times)  Share 

dazzerman

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Need oral presentation ideas for SAC
« on: January 21, 2020, 05:15:07 pm »
Need issues that has been recently debated about in the media no earlier than September 2019.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Need oral presentation ideas for SAC
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:05:31 pm »
+2
Need issues that has been recently debated about in the media no earlier than September 2019.
Have a look around at news articles across the internet.

However, there are always going to be those debates that are always being had regardless of the year. E.g. Vaccination Policy, Australia Day, the Melbourne Cup (horse racing in general), antibiotic usage etc

An important point when choosing your topic is to think about your teacher or whoever is assessing you - will they understand the topic, do they have enough background info on the topic. I know in the pasts students have done some niche topics and the teacher didn't really understand the distinctions between sides and the overall premise so couldn't really award those students high marks and obviously would have some sort of unconscious bias too.

jinaede1342

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 10:10:34 pm »
+1
Perhaps, I might disagree with Sine on this. Last year I did mine on Australia's potential decision to move its embassy in Israel and neither of the teachers were remotely informed on the issue so I ended up doing quite well.

Edit; just reread sine's post and realised they meant the opposite of what I said lol. IMO, in some cases it is actually better to do a topic that teachers know nothing about if you can pull it off
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:16:13 pm by jinaede1342 »
VCE: | English [48] | Global Politics [44] | Biology [40] | Chemistry [36] | French [34] | Methods [32]
ATAR: 98.40
2020: Bachelor of Laws (honours)/ Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Selling Global Politics responses + English/Global feedback and essay correction: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189680.0

Global Politics Tuition via Zoom - PM for details

Vanshikav03

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 10:30:13 pm »
+1
hey!
maybe do something climate-related? I did my year 11 oral presentation last year on the school climate strike and there were plenty of points to address. for example, instead of wholly agreeing with one stance, I structured my arguments to address both sides of the issue. (however, the layout your teacher wants may be different to this)
here is a little summary:
argument 1: I argued that school students should be allowed to protest as we are the affected majority who will face the consequences of climate change in the future. (for this I talked about the already devastating effects climate change had and added some statistics of how it may affect us in the future)
argument 2: for my second argument I talked about how students have the capacity to influence political issues and also added more statistics to support my claim.
for my last argument, I addressed the opposition and discussed alternatives to protesting (e.g. reducing your own carbon footprint, limiting fast fashion. etc.)

anyway, I hope I didn't ramble too much and i hope that this is helpful. good luck :)
Biology | Chemistry | psychology | English | Methods |
industry & enterprise 2019

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 10:13:48 am »
+2
What about looking at how the climate crisis has effected the horrific bushfire season in Australia? Or whether or not volunteer firefighters have been paid? I also read an article considering whether youth conscription to the firefighting services may aid the firefighting efforts. Perhaps you could talk about that?

Or else you could look at horse racing and the Melbourne Cup? I remember there was a lot of controversy in October/November this year.

The debate around e-cigarettes could make for an interesting speech.
On December 31, 2019, a spokesperson for the Trump administration announced that a ban will soon be placed on the sale flavoured e-cigarette pods in the United States. Earlier in December the administration had banned the sale of cigarettes and e-cigarettes to those under 21. Both moves appear to be a response to surveys indicating a large and rapidly increasing uptake of e-cigarettes among United States youth and to a recent epidemic of respiratory illnesses and deaths related to vaping.
As of November 8, 2019, more than 2,000 cases of illness and 39 deaths in the United States have been tied to e-cigarettes or vaping.
Health authorities in Australia have seen the recent developments in the United States as vindication of the cautious approach to allowing access to nicotine e-liquids adopted in this country. Critics of the Australian position argue that the United States response is an over-reaction and that Australian restrictions are too severe. They call for liberalisation to allow smokers freer access to e-cigarettes as a safer alternative to smoking.

Best of luck!