Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:42:14 pm

Author Topic: Brewing Positivi-Tea (melberry's HSC journey)  (Read 11848 times)

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
  • Respect: +30
Brewing Positivi-Tea (melberry's HSC journey)
« on: February 05, 2019, 12:25:39 pm »
+11
I generally like to keep things positive, but obviously HSC year hits hard for everyone one way or another. I'm creating this thread to track my personal progress/keep myself accountable but hopefully to also spread some positivity to anyone who comes to this page. That's not to promise no ranting from time to time, but leaving encouragement for the next person to come by this page will be greatly appreciated <3 I'm also open to chat about pretty much anything, so feel free to ask me something/just say hi.

Some stuff about me
- Year 12
- Subjects: (listed at the end of my post)
- Aiming to get into B Comm (Public)/BCII @ UTS
- Loves books, poetry, fencing
- Runs strictly on tea and water - no coffee for me xD

As of today, I've already gotten my first HSC task results back, and was pretty pleased with everything (except 4U math cough cough cough). The next task will come in the next five or six weeks, and I think I'm on track. I want to go through my HSC year without any regrets, or with as few as possible.  HSC is fast approaching, and I don't have the luxury of saying I have a year to study anymore. I was super apathetic in Year 11 for an unknown reason that it scared me, and I'm only starting to regain motivation again. I'm fairly confident I can get into the course I want, but my brain still prefers procrastination over pushing myself to do my "best". I'm still doing the co-curriculars I love, and I have cut on some of my procastination, so I'm hoping my productivity will spike as a result. Hmmm... apart from that I'm on good terms with my friends, but my schedule is packed this term and time management will be an issue for me. I hope that I will gain more confidence in test scenarios as time goes on!

I hope you guys are doing well, and thanks for clicking on this thread ^^

Positivitea for the day: Even the simplest design of a paper plane has the potential to go the distance.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:32:35 pm by melberry »
2017: Information Processes and Technology
2019: 4U Math, 3U English, Japanese, Economics
ATAR: 94.85

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Brewing Positivi-Tea (melberry's HSC journey)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 01:16:51 pm »
+6
Hey Melberry!

Always great to see another HSC journal up and running. I like the positivi-tea you're hoping to share here. ;)
- Runs strictly on tea and water - no coffee for me xD
I feel ya. Tea and water for the win.

I'm still doing the co-curriculars I love, and I have cut on some of my procastination, so I'm hoping my productivity will spike as a result.
What sort of co-curriculars do you enjoy/ do? (Oh and good luck on the procrastination situation! It gets better with a little practise.)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 01:38:02 pm »
+3
What sort of co-curriculars do you enjoy/ do? (Oh and good luck on the procrastination situation! It gets better with a little practise.)

Hello there, thanks for the encouragement!
I enjoy singing so I am in the choir, and as mentioned before, I love fencing and am in the fencing club ^^ Unfortunately, because of time constraints I've had to drop being a library monitor although I still do spend most of my free time there. I'm not partial towards more dynamic/passive co-curriculars, but I have had a long-lasting commitment to choir and fencing so there's no plans on stopping in Year 12  ;D

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:07:12 am »
+5
So the past two days have been pretty productive; I read over my eco notes on the train to school and went to tutoring after school. Upon returning home, I consolidated my economic article research for my case study. I spent my study periods working through complex numbers questions (my rank for 4u atm is pretty dismal so I want to ace this next exam to pull myself up). Overall, pretty good :D

I'm feeling pretty okay with my eco and english study because I learn as I make my notes and do my research. However, I am unsure on how to approach math study for 3u and 4u from now on because I have a longer list of things I need to do (and don't know what order to do them in):
- flash cards of 3u and 4u formulae
- revision and consolidation for the next assessment task
- redo year 11 and year 12 assessment tasks
- past HSC papers
- textbook exercises (not school assigned, but just practice questions)

As of now I'm doing bits and pieces of each for 3u and 4u, but I'm pretty sure that's not the most productive way of completing everything. So I'd like to know how others think I should approach this, and hopefully build up better study habits and strategies. Thanks!

Positivitea for the day: Smile, because you make someone's day.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 12:21:34 pm »
+4
I'm not sure if this helps, but:
- reading flashcards can be used on the train fairly easily, so that might be lower priority for when you're at home
- similarly, making flashcards could be a high priority if you're running out of train-friendly tasks
- I would usually complete textbook questions before assignment-style ones (but only if I knew I had time to do both - otherwise I'd just do the assignment ones)
- full papers are a step up from assignment-style questions and I would usually leave them until later.

This is just generic advice not tailored for 3u and 4u but I hope it helps :)

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 10:21:33 pm »
This is just generic advice not tailored for 3u and 4u but I hope it helps :)

Yes, this has helped! Thanks a lot, it's my first time actually using flash cards since primary school xD

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 11:49:58 pm »
+4
Hey! Best of luck with HSC this from an '18 VCE student (:

I agree with miniturtle's advice; I actually found flash cards super helpful for more content/theory heavy subjects (for me; chem and PE) and found time on public transport/walking home was always well spent when I had some to go through :)
I don't know much about 3u and 4u and what subjects you're referring to (sorry... my knowledge of HSC is limited to none :P ) but I don't know how important flashcards would be for subjects like maths. Personally, I found practice questions a lot more useful for maths (textbook questions to consolidate, followed by exam/assessment level questions) as your maths assessment/exams will always be asking you to apply and actively use formulae/theory, rather than just recall it /give a definition as you would when using flash cards. Maths study for me pretty much always consisted of practice questions! And if there's any part of the question you don't understand, make sure you have someone go through it with you (teacher, tutor, friend, someone on ATAR notes etc) until you really understand the method and can use it independently. But that's just my opinion based on my VCE (Methods) studies last year :)

I hope those tidbits were somewhat helpful and if you want any more advice (not HSC specific haha) feel free to ask :)
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 07:02:15 am »
I hope those tidbits were somewhat helpful and if you want any more advice (not HSC specific haha) feel free to ask :)

Thanks for the advice! That's pretty helpful, and I get what you mean about practice questions over flash cards for math. I find tha my content heavy subject (economics) is going pretty okay without flash cards, so I'll probably use them for quotes instead :)

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 12:10:40 pm »
+8
Hello there! Update for the past week:
I started using flashcards to learn my Japanese kanji, and it's been very effective so far. I also started using them to memorise math formulae before putting them into practice (one of my biggest problems is I would know how to approach a question, but ended up using the wrong formula). I've been able to get through more past papers and textbook questions ;D

I've been feeling emotionally drained recently, but positive thinking has helped me through most of that ^^ As in, looking back at little messages I wrote to myself before the HSC year commenced to remind me why I'm working so hard. Time management has always been one of my weakest points, and I can't seem to find the time to complete tutoring + school homework, and I'm thinking I may have to sacrifice some of the time I use on past papers.

Any thoughts? I feel a bit lost, but I want to get the hang of this!

Positivitea for today: When all seems lost, know that this too will pass

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 12:32:07 pm »
+1
Positivitea for today: When all seems lost, know that this too will pass

"Let it go, this too shall pass
Let it go, this too shall pass"

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 03:03:40 pm »
Any thoughts? I feel a bit lost, but I want to get the hang of this!

Hi there! I've been enjoying your journal lots and lots, I think your mindset is incredibly motivating! I'm loving the positivity because this time in vce gets really difficult to stay optimistic. I'd definitely like to start using flashcards, seems like they can be really useful. How do you motivate yourself in the harder times? What are your future goals and aspirations (I saw you are keen to get into Commerce, what draws you to that)? And ooh fencing!! I've always wanted to do that! I was in a choir years ago, had loads of fun! Do you practise weekly/do performances often? Maybe we'll see a cover soon ;) I don't know anything really too much about the hsc so am keen to hear more, I defintiely feel you on time management. Hope to hear from you soon!!

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 12:27:01 pm »
+6
Wow, it's been a while.

Hey guys, I'm back after several months of working through the year. In retrospect, I think I've managed to keep my physical and mental wellbeing in check, though there have definitely been instances where my marks fell below the desired result. At the time of writing this post, I have received all of my trial results and am pretty content with my predicted ATAR, as it will get me into the course I want. I'm working hard to boost my exam skills to get a good external mark in the HSC (work hard for scholarships kids! always helps!)

My best to worst subject ranking has not changed much. My better subjects saw improvements in marks, and the worst stayed pretty consistent so they're not going to bring about the Armageddon or anything.

Being positive and approaching the HSC with a determined attitude is very important, but it is important to know that you can cry from time to time. Bottling up emotions is never good, and putting on a brave face without acknowledging disappointment will eventually lead to a breakdown, which is worse in the long-run. So if you're feeling stressed, or less than pleased with your trial results, feel free to have a good cry, or go out for a run. Physical exercise has also been relieving for me,

I know it's been several months since someone last posted on this thread but I'll answer the questions now ^_^

How do you motivate yourself in the harder times?

Especially leading up to trials and the HSC, the final leg of studying can be difficult to study for. The content is all in front of you, your notes are organised and ready to go... but all you want to do is watch YouTube.

What I've found helpful is alternating between my subjects when studying. I particularly love studying Japanese and Economics, so when I get tired of writing English essays, I do bits of study in between. The only exception to this approach is math, as consistent math practice without interruption is what I find commits things to memory best.

Also, I'm lucky to have a very supportive and understanding family and social circle that I ground myself in. A supportive and encouraging environment has helped me out of my slumps and reminded me that not all encouraging words are hollow and overused. Spending time with people I care about has helped me be more positive to the work I do, even if it's for subjects I really don't like.

What are your future goals and aspirations (I saw you are keen to get into Commerce, what draws you to that)?

My future goal is to get into the PR and advertising field in communications. I've always been interested in how effective, concise communication results in projects going smoothly, and how words have impacts and connotations to other people. So, academically, I want to study communication and broaden my skills.

Sport-wise, I want to continue fencing. International competitions are not currently on my list of goals, but who knows, maybe one day :)

Commerce and economics have overlapping aspects. My love of economics has drawn me to consider a commerce degree (economics double degrees are pretty sparse and don't have much overlap with areas of study other than business). However, I am more of an English and evidence oriented person than math-oriented, so I am more inclined to design/media/communication degrees.

I was in a choir years ago, had loads of fun! Do you practise weekly/do performances often? Maybe we'll see a cover soon ;)

Choir is really fun! Glad to see someone else who enjoys it as well.

Because of the hectic scheduling of HSC study, I have been unable to participate in choir, but I have still been rehearsing with the Senior Vocal group (smaller, sub-unit of choir). I have been going to weekly rehearsals for that, but we don't have regular performances. We had a lot of out-of-school performances three years ago, but since then it's averaged about 3 or 4 performances per year. Our next performance is actually next week, and that will be the last performance I do with them before graduation. Man, that's nostalgic!

In terms of covers, I'm pretty camera shy and self-conscious, so I don't think I'll make one any time soon XD

That's all for now, stay positive guys! We're almost at the finish line!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 07:13:27 am »
How have you been? Missing your Positivi-Tea! <3

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 11:12:47 pm »
+3
How have you been? Missing your Positivi-Tea! <3

Aaaaand it's time for a mid-HSC update!
(sad reality is I'll never be able to say I'm halfway done because of an odd number of exams haha)

The notorious Advanced English exam has been completed, and whilst my friends are tearing their notes over the flickering flames on their laptop, I must re-organise and file away my notes to store for the next generation. Anyone else here have siblings?

Personally, I didn't find the questions in Adv English difficult. The Crucible question was a lot less abstract than I expected, but otherwise I didn't find anything wrong with the question. My only downfall this entire exam was my writing speed, and therefore was unfortunately unable to finish one essay oout of the three we were required to do. However, I took solace in the boomerang memes (which baffled yet amused me) and spent time with my friends afterwards so I didn't dwell on my performance too much.

I completed my Japanese Continuers HSC this morning. Again, pleasantly surprised to find it easier than anticipated, but of course that raises a whole other level of paranoia of overconfidence and stuff. In the wise words of my parents, though, "it's over, just focus on your next exam"

~which just so happens to be 4U math~

i'm going into the math exam feeling bittersweet.

dear 4U math,
you are one of the most challenging yet fun courses i've ever done
but i cannot wait to never have to look at you ever again
then, perhaps, i can move past the hurt over realising
that despite my best efforts to leave physics in the past
you were basically physics

Positivitea for the day: even thunderstorms have their purpose in helping the saplings grow

melberry

• Trailblazer
  • 自分の夢を追いかけろ
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 09:19:55 pm »
+5
4 Unit Math is finally over!!
I walked out of there feeling both like I did my best, but also oddly numb. I think I expected more exhilaration at finishing one of the hardest courses, but there was no sense of catharsis and just an acceptance that it was over (the biggest disappointment of the day). I'm glad I somehow survived in that 35-degree heat (no air conditioner), and I have a week to prepare for my next exam.

1st Nov: English Extension 1
4th Nov: Math Extension 1
6th Nov: Economics

I think my biggest worry at the moment is that even though I have around 2-3 days between each exam, English Extension 1 and Economics are quite essay-heavy (the latter more so), and balancing revising three subjects in depth will be difficult.

So here's my plan of attack! Daily schedule will look like this:

One essay question for English Ext 1
Math Ext 1 Notes Revision
Math Ext 1 Past Paper
One essay question for Economics
Economics Notes Revision before sleep

Of course, this is quite flexible and can be changed along the way. Any thoughts, and perhaps advice to minimise the chance of burn out?
The light at the end of the tunnel is coming, and sometimes it can be easy to slow down when the end is in sight.

That's all for today!
'Till next time.

Positivitea for the day: Believing in yourself is half the battle won, so every effort counts.