Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:46:53 am

Poll

What Is Your Favourite Chocolate Brand?

Cadbury
Lindt
Whittakers
Hahndorf's
Haigh's chocolates
Other
KoKo Black

Author Topic: Geoo's VCE Journey  (Read 80119 times)

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
Re: Geoo's VCE Journey
« Reply #195 on: April 14, 2020, 06:07:10 pm »
+4
Update - 14/04/2020 - Term Two Back In Swing

Those holidays went fast! I know that we kind of got an extra week, but they just flew by. I unfortunately didn't get alot of time off, I only took about 2 days off, was because I fell down the stairs and I needed to rest up as I did injure my knee and hand. I did have a few half days however to evenly spread out the work I needed to do. I wouldn't call these holidays super productive, but I did get a few things done which makes me almost up to date on the outstanding work I have.

Once again a bit of a warning that this post is a bit negative. I have had a bit of a rough patch with everything going on, and just a build of of pressure that I ended up just kind of venting in this post! I will say i'm okay with the changes been made in regards to the GAT and exams being moved, I think that was the most logical idea. However, I will be so angry if they use GAT and year 11 marks to derive and ATAR, how told the government this was a good idea? I do wish the year would end early like normal, but on the bright side we get more time to prepare for exams....

My feelings for how this term is going to go is also a bit up in the air. Since everyone is at home,  it means my house has become that much louder, making it harder to study. My younger sister is doing remote learning and she is so hard to live with, playing loud music all the time so I can barely study when she is home. So this is going to be quite the nuisance this term. Also it is SACs galore this term. I have one or multiple every week except next week. For the entire term. I'm just screaming on the inside right now.

Here is my SAC Schedule:
Week 9 (this week): Food Studies Part two. Chem SAC
Week 10: Only week off!!!
Week 11: English Text Response (Also my 18th birthday...)
Week 12: Methods Application SAC.
Week 13: Methods Application SAC, Chem SAC.
Week 14: Chem SAC (poster),
Week 15: Chem SAC (poster), English creative, Food Studies SAC Part 1.
Week 16: Chem SAC (poster), Food Studies SAC Part 2.
The rest of term 2 is unannounced..

English
So, I finished Nine Days and caught up to date with doing weeks 7 and 8 of English which is great. My text response SAC is in 2 weeks and we haven't even started writing practice essays so I need to get onto that soon. I also need to start reading like a house on fire, which I am not looking forward after many people telling my how shitty it is, so yay. So I do have quite alot to do' in the next coming weeks for english and i'm feeling not that confident in how i'm going to mange it all. I still haven't gotten my SAC result back from last term for the AA, which I am becoming more scared to know what it is..... Even though it is a pupil free day, we have a live stream with the author of Nine Days at 2.00 today which will be awesome!

Methods
I have cried so much with this subject. I thought I was going average which is all I really want, and then log and exponential functions came along and screwed me over to the tenth degree. I just cried. I am so over this subject, I don't have the time to do extra chapter questions, I have the big application SAC in 3 weeks which I am totally unprepared for. It is open book which is a relief, but I'm honestly just lost. I hope I can improve enough to get at least 60%, but who knows. We are moving on to circular functions then trig functions. I know so many people did this early in the term, but my teacher has done everything out of order.... yay.

Chem
Well I did everything I set out to do for chem over the holidays but get ahead. I'm completely fine with that, as I really honed in on AOS 1, and got to know it all pretty well. I have my Chem SAC from last term this week, and for some reason I have just lost a bit of my confidence in the subject. I know the content, I have done practice questions, and I have even taught it to others, but I think I just feel this pressure to do well and not "fail" and that feeling is why i'm scared of doing the SAC. It is a weird mentality to be in, like I know i'll definitely do fine, but I have always strived to be "perfect" and this just puts so much pressure onto myself. I also think that my failure in bio last year isn't helping with my confidence either, and it just all getting to me at the moment. So, yeah I hope it goes well, and I feel a sense of ease knowing no one has ever gotten perfect marks (50/50) for this SAC... I just want to get in the A+ range which just means I can only lose 4 marks.

Food Studies
I'm honestly feeling the same way I feel for this subject as I do for chem. I've just lost my confidence. It's once again this pressure to not lose any marks, to get your wording right to score well. I also believe that since this subject scales down so badly, I feel this stress to do almost perfect in my SACs to prevent it getting scaled down so harshly, and that pressure is making my head almost explode. So moving on, I did part one of the food studies SAC yesterday, which is where I made two risotto's to test out how gelatinisation is effected when you do certain things to the recipe. It was alot of effort, and so time consuming but I hope I did well. It's all sent off now so there is nothing I can do but wait. This SAC is out of 50 marks as well, and i'm not feeling super confident i'm going to get all those marks. This week is part two of the SAC which is a report, where I pick a person and I get a recipe and it is my job to say if this will suit my chosen person. This is going to be so time consuming but it is also worth 50 marks so I need to buckle down and get started as this is due on friday. So, both these SACs make up one SAC, and contribute 15% to my study score. Yay for pressure!

So in all, I hope everyone has had some sort of a break these holidays, and good luck to you all for this whole remote learning stuff! Also, I hope the spelling and grammar isn't too bad, I have been doing so much english I am just over correcting things...Aww thanks for kind message! Alec was great and it would be so cool to keep going with the online lectures, it is so nice to rewatch them. I hope you enjoyed your holidays!

Hey Geoo! Don't worry, I'm sure everyone else is experiencing some hardship at the moment. I agree, even though I'm only in year 11, I do think it's unfair how year 11 marks are used since so many things can change in a year. Regarding maths methods, don't worry, you can absolutely smash this subject! Believe in yourself and keep up the hard work.  ;)
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #196 on: April 14, 2020, 11:23:33 pm »
+5
Hey Geoo! Don't worry, I'm sure everyone else is experiencing some hardship at the moment. I agree, even though I'm only in year 11, I do think it's unfair how year 11 marks are used since so many things can change in a year. Regarding maths methods, don't worry, you can absolutely smash this subject! Believe in yourself and keep up the hard work.  ;)
Aww thats so nice of you to say, thanks for the encouragement in maths, it's something I really needed to hear right now. It will be interesting to see how year 11's will get affected as well, hopefully your VCE will be alot smother than ours, and they won't scare you into having your year 11 results used. Does this make you want to try harder this year in case this would happen to you?
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2020, 02:55:24 pm »
+3
Aww thats so nice of you to say, thanks for the encouragement in maths, it's something I really needed to hear right now. It will be interesting to see how year 11's will get affected as well, hopefully your VCE will be alot smother than ours, and they won't scare you into having your year 11 results used. Does this make you want to try harder this year in case this would happen to you?

Howdy Geo! Yeah, it makes me want to push myself a bit harder but it's quite hard to do so via remote learning since I'm so used to the classroom setting. So far my teachers are unsure for my cohort if our current results will be used but they think it's highly unlikely. I feel so sorry for the year 12s since it's their final year and the future is very unpredictable at this point. I'm feeling a bit worried since I picked up two 3/4s to do this year and no one really saw this virus coming but oh well I guess. :(

Stay determined Geoo! The beauty about maths is that once you get the formula, you've basically grasped, like, 85% of the content. The other 15% is just applying it!  ;)
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2020, 07:34:23 pm »
+11
Update - 19/04/2020

Hey guys, this will be a bit of a short (my version of short, hehe) update on how the first week went. So unfortunately I messed up the time for the toni jordon's live stream and didn't make it, which was extremely disappointing! They did record it, but since it was such a large file it buffers every five seconds so it wasn't watchable. So along with missing the live stream, there were other bad and good things that went on this week. I'll get the bad stuff out of the way first, then end on a high note.
Rant
I did my chem SAC this week. Lets just say I cried, accepted defeat, and have now lowered my expectations in chem. That SAC was an utter mess. I had no idea what to do because the writing of the questions, spaces, and just everything being all over the place made it hard to do. To tell you what I mean, I need to start with what was originally planned for the SAC. It was originally suppose to be where I went in, did two experiments, got results, answered some questions related to the experiments, and other not related questions. That's fine. But with our friend covid, we weren't allowed to come in and do those experiments, so our teachers had to adjust. IT WAS A MESS. The original log sheet had second hand data but also areas for us to make our own observations on two youtube videos that had barely any info which I needed to fill out the sheets. Here the the two videos, <Vid One> , <Vid Two> , and if you watched them, you can tell that they weren't super helpful to give results.... So moving on, they wanted us too "copy" down the second hand data given into the SAC question booklet, (they phrased this really weird), and then didn't tell us if we needed to answer the questions based on which results..... Are you still with me on this confusing mess. Oh, there was also a section where we needed to do a hazard check, and first it appeared to say we needed to fill it out by going to the GHS website, and it had a link. So I hand typed it in and it didn't work. I emailed my teacher and asked for a working link. And wait for it.... It turns out I didn't need the link as I didn't need to fill that hazard thing out, so helpful. They also wanted me to input the MSDS date, and guess what, IT WASN'T there, so guess who is going to loss a mark, just for that! Okay, moving on to all the other messed up shit. There was a FOUR mark questions all to do with environmental issues about the production of hydrogen, and there was no space. No lines, and the gap in the page between the environmental question and the next one was 4 cm....... So I squeezed my answer in there. Now the rest were pretty reasonable questions, however they had the oddest wording I have even seen, which is a theme in this SAC. There was a question asking me to "account" for the substance on a charged lead acid battery. Now, as you other chem nerds may know, when a lead acid battery has discharged, it leaves behind PbSO4 on the electrodes and it allows the battery to recharge.  So, I wonder if they made a mistake with the whole charged thing, as that wouldn't have PbSO4, but lead oxide, so I just winged the answer... Last thing I swear, but they wanted me to draw two galvanic cells, the lead acid battery one, and the electrolysis of water (we didn't even cover this in class...), and I was kinda stumped, as normally you do the two separate beakers and blah blah blah, but this experiment was all in one beaker so that was a tad confusing, and I have never drawn a diagram on electrolysis before... and it was 3 marks. I'm just going to stop there, I could go on, but i'm not. This SAC is out of 50 and worth 8 percent of my study score. I spoke to others and they thought it was a mess too. I'm hoping that this means it will be moderated up, but it's not looking positive for my mark. I love chem, it is my favourite subject, I studied so hard, and honestly, nothing could have prepared me for the disaster.

Okay so to end on two positive notes. I got my licenses back!!! I was approved medically to drive on the road again last Wednesday, and I hit the roads friday. I now have 97 hours which is awesome, and I can't wait to do more. I also got my food studies SAC back from early in the week, and it was 49/50!!! I was so happy about that and worried myself over it for nothing. It also got moderated up too 25/25, since you can't have half marks, so technically 100% :). I am now just waiting on the food studies SAC I did last week, and my English SAC from last term, which they said they would release this friday. So, this week I am going to enjoy my only week off SACs, being my last week of 17, and essentially being up to date with my work. That's all for this week fokes! I'm going to have a pity party with some chocolate and my cats.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2020, 08:22:01 pm »
+3
Hey Geoo!

Wow! That's such a phenomenal score for food studies! Congratulations!  ;D Glad that you can drive again.

It's okay, don't worry about the chemistry SAC, as you said other people also experienced the same difficulties so it should be okay for you.

Have a great week and looking forward to the next update!  ;D

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2020, 08:51:32 pm »
+3
Okay so to end on two positive notes. I got my licenses back!!! I was approved medically to drive on the road again last Wednesday, and I hit the roads friday. I now have 97 hours which is awesome, and I can't wait to do more. I also got my food studies SAC back from early in the week, and it was 49/50!!! I was so happy about that and worried myself over it for nothing. It also got moderated up too 25/25, since you can't have half marks, so technically 100% :). I am now just waiting on the food studies SAC I did last week, and my English SAC from last term, which they said they would release this friday. So, this week I am going to enjoy my only week off SACs, being my last week of 17, and essentially being up to date with my work. That's all for this week fokes! I'm going to have a pity party with some chocolate and my cats.

Congrats on your SAC score! That's fantastic news, and it must be awesome to be able to drive again!!!!!!
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2020, 11:13:02 pm »
+7
Hey Geoo!

Wow! That's such a phenomenal score for food studies! Congratulations!  ;D Glad that you can drive again.

It's okay, don't worry about the chemistry SAC, as you said other people also experienced the same difficulties so it should be okay for you.

Have a great week and looking forward to the next update!  ;D
I really do hope that it is like that for the chem SAC! And yes I am so happy that I can drive again, thanks for reading, till next time!
Congrats on your SAC score! That's fantastic news, and it must be awesome to be able to drive again!!!!!!
Thank you!!!!!!!! It is amazing that I can drive again. I have been itching to get out onto the road for a while, and when I finally could drive again, I took a long hour drive through the country side. It is amazing what looking at nature can do for your mental health!

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2020, 01:57:52 pm »
+3
Congrats on your food studies sac score! Hopefully, you did fine in your Chem Sac. Not sure what will happen to Sacs tho cause Corona since different schools are doing Sacs differently.
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

ThunderDragon's Journey to Med

Currently offering tutoring in 3/4 Psychology for 2022. PM if interested!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2020, 06:12:53 pm »
+9
Update - 27/04/2020 - OMG I'm Legal

This update marks the one year anniversary + a day, since I started this journal. I normally never stick to something for this long, so I am really proud that I have continuously updated this journal for an entire year. Thank you to everyone who has replied and read this journal, your support has meant so much to me. I'll try keep this update not too long.

The biggest thing this week, is that today I turn 18. I can't believe i'm legal now, and I find it funny that yesterday I don't have the new rights I do today. Also, when is that grown up button going to switch on, I have been waiting all day for it. It was a bit of a different birthday this year with covid and what not, but I got to celebrate with my family. I woke up to some ballons and confetti on the floor, and my mum got me some plants for my room. I think she saw that I keep one alive for so long, that she trusts me with a bigger plant. I then got surprised to go to my local bakery, where they made me some of my favourite macaroons, which was awesome. I then got to go and test drive two cars i'm interested in (once they open driving tests again...) , and went to bunnings to get a watering can for the new plants. I got some lovely messages from my family wishing me a happy birthday, and it really made my day. It may be a different type of 18th, but it was amazing. I'm going to be facetiming a friend tonight, and my neighbor brought over my first alcoholic drink which she described as "adult cordial," if this doesn't say i'm 18 I don't know what does.

To school based news, I got my part two food studies SAC results back and my english SAC (finally it took 2 months...). I was really worried for my food studies SAC, as I approached it a different way, but it ended up getting full marks! I was over the moon, and I really think this solidifies that this subject is going to be my highest scorer! Now, today I got my long awaited english results for my language analysis SAC, and I fucked it. 28/40. 70%. I cried. I worked so hard to try and do well, I sent in 4 extra essays, talked with the teacher and everything and ended up with this! For fucks sake. I tried to not let it get to me, as it is my birthday, but it made me so frustrated. It's not a great motivator, as I have the text response SAC this week, which I have only sent in one essay for, but ahhhhh.
I hate english, I don't see a point to it. I wonder, the teachers go on and on about the authors intent, with themes and characters, but what if THEY HAD NO INTENT. What if they just wanted to write a story for the enjoyment of reading, all for it to be torn apart for an essay. I love reading, it's an escape or an educational experience, but English just destroys it...

To finish off, we have moved onto area of study two for both chem and FS. FS is different for me, as it has become more of a business/marketing type of subject which i'm not use too. And chem is going alright, I think the equilibrium stuff is the hardest topic to grasp concept wise, but I believe that it is the course that is making learning so difficult, especially when you get an error like this.

Till next time!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:36:25 am by Geoo »

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2020, 06:30:20 pm »
+7
Happy Birhday Geo! Woah 18! I can’t imagine (literally I’m still 16 lol).
How does it feel Don’t worry about the English SAC you’ve put in effort which means when the exam comes around (7 whole months at least) you’ll be ready!!! Anyway forget about that it’s your birthday  🎈 🥳
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2020, 06:31:21 pm »
+7
First of all... HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sounds like you had a pretty good day, enjoy the adult life  8)

This update marks the one year anniversary + a day, since I started this journal. I normally never stick to something for this long, so I am really proud that I have continuously updated this journal for an entire year. Thank you to everyone who has replied and read this journal, your support has meant so much to me. I'll try keep this update not too long.
Just wanted to say, your journal was the first one I ever stumbled across and started reading regularly, and I have loved all your updates over the last year. In fact, it was your journal that really inspired me with mine, so I can't wait to stick with you till the end of the year and maybe even beyond  ;D

To school based news, I got my part two food studies SAC results back and my english SAC (finally it took 2 months...). I was really worried for my food studies SAC, as I approached it a different way, but it ended up getting full marks! I was over the moon, and I really think this solidifies that this subject is going to be my highest scorer!
YES GEOO! This is SO good, and I'm so proud and happy for you. You put in the work and deserved it!

Sucks about the english sac but I know you'll persist through it

Anyways, enjoy the rest of this special day
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2020, 06:37:22 pm »
+7
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEOO!!! Its so awesome to see that you've had a great day despite the situation! You're amazing!

And super congrats on your food studies mark! So good!  :D

Have an awesome rest of your birthday and party hard!
And also about the English SAC - dont let it get to you - I'm sure itll just be improvment from here - you've got this! I believe in you!  :D

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2020, 06:53:26 pm »
+6
First and Foremost....HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEOO!! WOW, 18! 🥳

Another special occasion! I've really loved reading your journal from the beginning, and I really like how detailed they are as well! You should see me...my eyes light up every time I see there's a new Journal Entry! 😁

I woke up to some ballons and confetti on the floor, and my mum got me some plants for my room. I think she saw that I keep one alive for so long, that she trusts me with a bigger plant. I then got surprised to go to my local bakery, where they made me some of my favourite macaroons, which was awesome. I then got to go and test drive two cars i'm interested in (once they open driving tests again...) , and went to bunnings to get a watering can for the new plants. I got some lovely messages from my family wishing me a happy birthday, and it really made my day. It may be a different type of 18th, but it was amazing. I'm going to be facetiming a friend tonight, and my neighbor brought over my first alcoholic drink which she described as "adult cordial," if this doesn't say i'm 18 I don't know what does.
Aww, this is so sweet! Yes, go plants! Sounds like you had a fantastic and fun-filled day and I'm so happy for you!

To school based news, I got my part two food studies SAC results back and my english SAC (finally it took 2 months...). I was really worried for my food studies SAC, as I approached it a different way, but it ended up getting full marks! I was over the moon, and I really think this solidifies that this subject is going to be my highest scorer!
OMG, A MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS! You really need to teach me your ways to get full marks, you're amazing at food studies! 😆

Now, today I got my long awaited english results for my language analysis SAC
Hey, don't worry about the English SAC. There are still plenty more SACs left (as cliche as that sounds, I know) and I know you can improve! You can do it! The good thing is you've gotten feedback and you can use it to improve for next time. Although, it is especially hard, when you don't like the subject. I hate Lit as well sometimes but I found that if I take little baby steps and ease myself into it, it's not bad.

Have a great rest of your birthday and a great rest of the week ! 😊

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2020, 07:08:53 pm »
+5
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEOO!
I woke up to some ballons and confetti on the floor, and my mum got me some plants for my room. I think she saw that I keep one alive for so long, that she trusts me with a bigger plant. I then got surprised to go to my local bakery, where they made me some of my favourite macaroons, which was awesome. I then got to go and test drive two cars i'm interested in (once they open driving tests again...) , and went to bunnings to get a watering can for the new plants. I got some lovely messages from my family wishing me a happy birthday, and it really made my day. It may be a different type of 18th, but it was amazing. I'm going to be facetiming a friend tonight, and my neighbor brought over my first alcoholic drink which she described as "adult cordial," if this doesn't say i'm 18 I don't know what does.
This is so cute! I'm glad you had a really good bday.  (also agree that you're not an adult until you've had green cordial)

Two school based news, I got my part two food studies SAC results back and my english SAC (finally it took 2 months...). I was really worried for my food studies SAC, as I approached it a different way, but it ended up getting full marks! I was over the moon, and I really think this solidifies that this subject is going to be my highest scorer! Now, today I got my long awaited english results for my language analysis SAC, and I fucked it. 28/40. 70%. I cried. I worked so hard to try and do well, I sent in 4 extra essays, talked with the teacher and everything and ended up with this! For fucks sake. I tried to not let it get to me, as it is my birthday, but it made me so frustrated. It's note a great motivator, as I have the text response SAC this week, which I have only sent in one essay for, but ahhhhh.
I hate english, I don't see a point to it. I wonder, the teacher go on and on about the authors intent, with themes and characters, but what if THEY HAD NO INTENT. What if they just wanted to write a story for the enjoyment of reading, it for it to be torn apart for an essay. I love reading, it's an escape or an educational experience, but English just destroys it...
Congrats on your food sac! Thats really great you tried something new and it totally worked!
I can relate about English, I got a C+ on my text analysis sac and I prepared a lot for it sometimes you can just never seem to bump up those marks, I'm proud of you for trying your best and putting in so much effort. I know for a fact that you will ultimately be successful in English, keep persevering :)
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2020, 07:20:53 pm »
+6
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEO!
I hope you had a great birthday and had lots of fun! I've tried to grow plants but they all end up dying so I just gave up haha.

Congratulations on food studies! You deserve those amazing marks :)

It sucks when you don't do as well as expected on a SAC. This is exactly what happened to me, and I very melodramatically expressed my disappointment in one of my own journal entries. Luckily, the VCE system is designed so that one bad SAC mark won't set us back! You still have the exam to prove yourself - not to mention all the other SACs you have.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day :D
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash