Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:59:04 pm

Author Topic: when to start studying for mid yr exam  (Read 2899 times)  Share 

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
when to start studying for mid yr exam
« on: February 16, 2008, 04:51:38 pm »
hii all,
i was just wondering seeing as how the unit 3 psych exam is on june 13, wen do people recommend to start studying?

DrowNz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
Re: when to start studying for mid yr exam
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 04:59:45 pm »
All throughout the semester. There's no need to cram if you are being consistent and routinely prepare your own summary notes and go over them. Also, start familiarizing yourself with exam papers, I'd even suggest you to download some of the previous exams already. As you approach the mid year exam time frame, the VCAA site tends to be a little hectic.
Tuition in Biology, ESL & Hebrew Available.

Contact me at [email protected]

brendan

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 05:41:52 pm »
now!

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 05:42:41 pm »
As already stated, be studying the course material thoroughly and consistently as the content is being taught in class.
Make your own summaries to suit your study habits. For example, if you are a visual person, include lots of colour and diagrams in your summaries. Be familarising yourself with the style and structure of psych exam questions. Read the examiners reports. These will give you solid direction in terms of the detail that must be included in your answers. I would recommend knowing all the course content by mid to late May. This will give you a good 3-4 weeks to ask your teacher any questions, do lots of exams and complete your final days of revision.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 01:55:50 pm »
Now is always a good time. You don't have to go all out though, if you can commit to memory what you are learning now, that will really help later on. Nick's advice is also very good.

I think ideally you should start practise exams about 7 weeks before exams and by that point you should know the course more or less.

daniel99

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:17:51 pm »
Im going to have my notes finished by the easter holidays and read over them for a couple of weeks and try to remember most of the definitions and then start to do practice exams and questions. Then if i have trouble with explaining something on a practice exam i will go over it again and keep going until I know it all. Psych is my only mid-year, except for the GAT, so im going to leave about 8 weeks to study for the exam...I want an A+, thats why!

cara.mel

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 08:47:30 am »
Psych is my only mid-year, except for the GAT

The GAT doesn't count as an exam. If you do any study for it beyond looking at a previous years one to see how it works, then you're trying too hard ^_^

jess3254

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:36:30 am »
Psych is my only mid-year, except for the GAT

The GAT doesn't count as an exam. If you do any study for it beyond looking at a previous years one to see how it works, then you're trying too hard ^_^

This is going to sound like a really stupid question... but what exactly is the GAT? I remember taking it in year 10 because I did a 3/4, but I had no idea what I was doing. Does it count for anything?

ALSO:
Start revising the brain and nervous system extensively now, and any other key concepts you've learnt on other topics.

These are some resources that I find really useful for study: :)

http://www.allpsych.com - lots of resources on psychology

http://www.alleydog.com/ - glossary of psychology terms

http://www.plasform.com.au/worksheets/00_memory.html - memory test (good for revision)

http://www.vanguard.edu/faculty/ddegelman/amoebaweb/ - contains information on topics such as memory, personality, intelligence, learning, sensation and perception.

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/studies/psychology/exams.html - past psychology exams

http://www.psywww.com/selfquiz/ - psychology self-quizzes

www.podcards.com.au - podcards
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:38:30 am by jess3254 »

cara.mel

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:54:50 pm »
This is going to sound like a really stupid question... but what exactly is the GAT? I remember taking it in year 10 because I did a 3/4, but I had no idea what I was doing. Does it count for anything?

GAT = General Achievement Test. A 3 hour long thing with 2 writing tasks (1 hour) and 70 multi choice questions (2 hours) which is used as a generic check against your exam results (eg if it predicts you'll get A+ and your exam result is say B, they'll remark it), some unis are trialling using it to help choose in the middle band, probably other miscellaneous uses as well.
It doesn't directly affect your ENTER/results and no one tries terribly hard for it

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 07:24:32 pm »
When I did Psychology, I left studying for the mid-year exam to the last minute, and as a result, I ended up getting a C. Don't do that, it's very bad and will get you nowhere. :P

I'd say study as soon as possible, but also include leisure time; you don't want to become too stressed. :)

daniel99

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 02:28:19 pm »
When I did Psychology, I left studying for the mid-year exam to the last minute, and as a result, I ended up getting a C. Don't do that, it's very bad and will get you nowhere. :P

I'd say study as soon as possible, but also include leisure time; you don't want to become too stressed. :)

How many weeks or days did you revise for the exam?

memka

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 05:15:47 pm »
I didn't do *that* much study. Besides in class preparation I just spent the 3 days before the exam revising like crazy.
I did find all of the concepts quite easy to grasp though and had a good teacher.
2007: Psychology
2008: English, Methods, Biology, French, Music Solo        ENTER: 92.65
2009: Bachelor of Arts @ ANU

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 05:31:57 pm »
I didn't do *that* much study. Besides in class preparation I just spent the 3 days before the exam revising like crazy.

I would have found that to be really stressful. I think it's better to spend the week before exams relaxed rather than crazily revising, but each to their own. Different people only need different amounts of study and people like me who study probably 80% for confidence, 20% for content probably tend to over-study a little.

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 09:34:08 pm »
How many weeks or days did you revise for the exam?

For the first exam, about 2 days... Then for exam 2, about 2 weeks.. But always start early, you don't want to end up bitterly disappointed like me and get a 30.

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 10:05:54 pm »
lol  ummm i studied for psych the day before the mid year exam cause i had like freakin two other exams as well bio and chem.. sucks.... but yeah and still got an A but then it depends if your good at psych or not and been doing work consistantly through the year. if your struggling then gotta start earlier and do more practice exams
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just