Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:18:37 am

Author Topic: 1984  (Read 8367 times)

Rohit Bhat

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« on: October 16, 2019, 07:52:15 pm »
Hey,
So I understand what anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies stand for (credit to instagram live). But I am still confused on how I can relate it to the themes of Power and control, Loss of individuality which I have remembered quotes based on so essentially how would I be able to connect the theme of Power and Control, Loss of individuality to anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies.

Thanks,
Rohit

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: 1984
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:25:08 pm »
+3
Hey,
So I understand what anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies stand for (credit to instagram live). But I am still confused on how I can relate it to the themes of Power and control, Loss of individuality which I have remembered quotes based on so essentially how would I be able to connect the theme of Power and Control, Loss of individuality to anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies.

Thanks,
Rohit

Hey, Rohit!

Great to hear you tuned in for the Instagram Live! This part of the syllabus is really just an ugly thing that I feel is there to put everyone off but at the bottom line, it's basically just looking at the idea of humanity being complex. Remember that anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies are linked with human motivations and behaviours in the syllabus so you can extend your discussion to those concepts too.

If you look at power and control as a theme, you could look at the complexities of human motivations and how they drive desires for exercising measures for control. All the slogans like "war is peace" are great examples of paradoxes in the text which you can link to how the society in 1984 controls thought and understanding for their own benefits in maintaing power. For loss of individuality, you would look at how human behaviours have been indoctrinated and how those who deviate from those behaviours (like Winston and Julia for example) become anomalies. I think a good inconsistency example I use for 1984 all the time is the "two plus two equals five" slogan they have which shows an inconsistency in belief with the truth. I hope that explains it a bit better! Good luck for tomorrow's exam!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music