Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 01:45:31 pm

Author Topic: How to study for Physics Exam  (Read 1276 times)  Share 

WonkyN

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How to study for Physics Exam
« on: May 31, 2019, 10:06:20 pm »
So I'm in year 11 and I have my Physics exam (exams in general) in exactly a weeks time from now. I was wondering if it would be best to make my cheat sheet now, study it for the week and the day before an exam, just cram as many chapter questions/ revision tests as I can.
For most of my time at High School, I would usually cram the night before and I would do pretty well (80s - 90s).
But last year during year 10 exams, for Physics I also crammed the night before but did not get the score I hoped for. So I started contemplating about my study methods.
I basically need study methods in general for Science, Math type subjects and English Language.
Further - 46 (2019)

superstudent20

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: How to study for Physics Exam
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 11:22:24 pm »
+5
So I'm in year 11 and I have my Physics exam (exams in general) in exactly a weeks time from now. I was wondering if it would be best to make my cheat sheet now, study it for the week and the day before an exam, just cram as many chapter questions/ revision tests as I can.
For most of my time at High School, I would usually cram the night before and I would do pretty well (80s - 90s).
But last year during year 10 exams, for Physics I also crammed the night before but did not get the score I hoped for. So I started contemplating about my study methods.
I basically need study methods in general for Science, Math type subjects and English Language.

I'd say my best advice that really works for me is that throughout the topics studied in class, I'd have a separate book just for chapter textbook revision so i'd be caught up with all the information. Also i'd make study notes/ revision notes a couple weeks before hand but considering you only have like a week i'd say just ask your teacher what topics are on the test and make sure you look at the syllabus which clearly outlines exactly what you need to know. If I were you, I'd just go through my class book and just make sure I actually know everything or mostly know what was studied in class. I definitely suggest to make a cheat sheet/ study reference sheet as soon as possible and revise as early as you can. But I guess if you pay well attention in class and know the content well and do all assigned homework, I'm sure that you already know what you are doing. One mistake that I made often especially cramming in so much studying the day before the test was that I would focus too much on topics that I absolutely didn't know, so I would recommend if it's like a day before the test, don't try and learn new things/topics as it would be better time spent if you focused on getting the topics that you kind of know right. One last thing to mention, I would start getting into the habit of studying like a couple weeks before the test than leaving it to last minute.

Anyways  :)
Hope this helps.

fiziks

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 10:21:51 am »
+4
I would definitely agree with everything SuperStudent has said.
One thing that I would keep in mind, however, is that different people all learn best through different means. You are in year 11, so you still have some time to play around with different ways of studying before your final year 12 exams. I would really advise you to make the most of this opportunity!

With that said, of course, it's not a bad idea at all to find out how others study, because their strategies might work well for you.
One thing that worked really well for me, was making sure that I fully understood all the content in each class before coming to the next class throughout the year. Since a lot of the content you learn is built upon in further classes, it is very easy to fall behind by not fully understanding just one lesson. Really make sure you are perfectly comfortable with everything you are taught!

Also, you should get a feel for what the SACs at your school are like. If your school has a focus on challenging or non-standard questions, study up on those. If your SACs are easier, just make sure your understanding of the easier concepts is bulletproof. As a whole, of course, you should know every topic and question style very well - this will really help you out next year!
Writing your cheatsheet by going through the textbook, reading and understanding every concept, and condensing all of it to an A4 page is a great way to ensure that you are comfortable with everything you have learnt. If, of course, you are caught off-guard by something you read in the textbook, spend some time revising it before completing your cheatsheet.

That's all from me. Good luck with your exams!

PB

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Hi!
  • Respect: +16
  • School: Class of 2018: Griffith BOHDS II
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 07:41:38 pm »
Don't study to do well in the exam. Throw out the books and start studying nature and how nature is governed. Love it and enjoy it. Good luck :)
Physics:50 (Premier's)

ATAR: 99.55

Selling my neat, concise cheatsheet for only $15! Has got extra shortcut formulas which you can get nowhere else, and includes vital watchouts for the exam!