Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:06 pm

Author Topic: COLLINE VS VCAA | Who will come out victorious?  (Read 30074 times)

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: COLLINE VS VCAA | Who will come out victorious?
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2019, 03:12:48 pm »
+5
Great Tips!

Finally, creating your own questions is a great revision tool in the lead up to the exam.
Never heard of this tip ever, but I will definetly have a crack at it next year.
In particular, you should aim to constantly revise over unit 3 throughout unit 4, because otherwise if you leave it all till SWOTVAC, you will be overwhelmed with content.

This is soo true, I realised it with psychology this year so next year I will def be prepared.

Finally, I did a blood test and found out I am allergic to cats... Well that's convenient isn't it? Imagine a vet who is allergic to cats, that's like a sailor who can't swim! I've been around plenty of cats before and have never realised I have an allergy, so it's probably really mild. Hopefully, if I do get into DVM and become a vet, it won't be too much of a problem.

That is so unfortunate but your allergy probably isn't that bad if you've never noticed, and hopefully, when you become a vet it won't affect you much.
Also, that is a really good analogy

Well, see you on December 12th Colline.  :)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

lst1103

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2019, 02:31:21 pm »
+1
How'd you go, Colline?!? Have been reading your journal from day dot, and am so excited to hear about your success!!!!

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2019, 12:56:30 pm »
+27
:)
Sorry for my late reply, thanks Ionic Doc! Well done on psych, and all the best for year 12!

How'd you go, Colline?!? Have been reading your journal from day dot, and am so excited to hear about your success!!!!
Hey Ist1103, sorry for my very tardy update! ;D Thank you so much for following my journal, it really put a smile on my face <3 <3

13 / 12 / 2019 - Friday

This episode - ATAR Day

I didn't get any ATAR nightmares the night before, mainly because I got not one ounce of sleep. At 11pm a friend and I went to a 24-hr Maccas and sat there eating McNuggets and contemplating life. At 1am, we left and drove around the block while contemplating life some more. At 4am, we went home after my dad got worried. With 3 hours to go, I tried to watch one of Vanessa Hudgens's bad Christmas movies, but couldn't concentrate at all.

At 6:40, I got a text from an unknown number which apparently had my results, but one look at them told me they were a prank (according to said text, I got 49 in bio and 17 in further and methods... If that didn't already give it away, the "final ATAR" of 42.0 definitely did). Only a few minutes later, an email from VASS popped up, but I dismissed it as a prank, again, since in previous years the email always came around 7. I straight up deleted that email without even checking because I was not in the mood for pranks - who knew it was legit? Finally, just before 7am hit, I turned on my camera, having promised my family and friends to do a reaction video. Except the website crashed and for about 20 minutes, while my messages and group chats were all exploding, I sat there nervously refreshing until it finally loaded.

My Results

At the very top was biology. Seeing my GA's, I was reminded of how horrifically I screwed up the exam. I had gotten A/A+/C, with a final score of 33. While I was relieved it was higher than how I went in dance, it was disheartening nonetheless as I was on track for high 30s the entire year until I massacred my exam.

Next up - chemistry. My GA's were A/A+/A+! I was getting C's and B's in my SACs - and how did I get an A+ on the exam?? But the biggest surprise was my study score of 40!! I was mind blown.

Further, on the other hand, was sadly just as expected. I got right on my prediction of 48. So all those urban myths about -1 exam mark is -1 study score must be true.

And finally... Methods was by far the biggest (and best) surprise of them all. While I knew I did well on the exam, I would've never expected that somehow, I did well enough to get 50?? But I did! That's right! Your girl got 50 in methods!! It felt like I was dreaming!

My final ATAR was 99.75!! Absolutely over the moon. Never ever in my wildest dreams could I have imagined getting so high.

Complete results
1. Literature - 50
2. Methods - 50
3. Further - 48
4. VET Music - 48

5. Chem - 40 (10%)
6. Bio - 33 (10%)
7. Dance - 31 (didn't count)

Aggregate: 203.56
ATAR: 99.75

My classmates and friends' results all started trickling in while I was checking my scores. Our school dux had a 99.80 and I cannot think of anyone who deserved the title more than they did. My goal of duxing further was ultimately not achieved - someone got 50. While it did leave me with some regrets, I'm overjoyed for our dux. The further dux and I had known each other since year 7 but we've never really talked until year 12. We were in the same further class and had our free periods together. Both of us were fighting to dux, and both of us KNEW the other was fighting to dux, yet we still became great friends. If I hopped in a time machine, went back to term 1, and told myself that I didn't dux further, my younger self would probably throw a fit. It's funny how times change.

After the initial excitement, lack of sleep finally caught up to me and by noon I had passed out on the couch where I didn't budge till dinner. At night, a bunch of friends and I went to a Karaoke bar at the Crown to celebrate, until we were promptly kicked out after I got ID'd. :P We walked around the city some more, I got drunk for the first time in my life, and our group eventually made our way to Melbourne Uni, where we played a wild game of Sardines (reverse hide-and-seek) until 3am.

This morning, I got up early and made breakfast and lunch for my dad and youngest brother (middle brother is away on school camp), as a small thank-you for all the support they've given me. I'm not the best at cooking, but I tried my best and here's my final product:
brekky

lunch

So that's my ATAR story. It was a restless night and now I can finally relax. I think I will do one more update for when I get my VTAC offer (which should hopefully be the December round), so I'll see you all then!

Congratulations to the class of 2019, and everyone who did an early 3/4 this year!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:57:37 am by colline »

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2019, 02:52:57 pm »
+2
Wow colline!!!
Congrats on your fantastic ATAR and dat 50 in Methods :)

Any advice for how to well in Methods cos I'll be doing 1/2 next year.

lst1103

• Forum Regular
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2019, 03:22:04 pm »
+3
You did soooo well - super proud of your efforts!!!!

I love your post-ATAR celebration, too, hahahahah!! I LOVED Sardines when I was younger (twilight game at UniMelb is on my bucket list for next year now!!!). Good luck with everything uni-related xxxx

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2019, 03:32:01 pm »
+2
Congratulations Colline, amazing results you have there! It was awesome to read your journal throughout the year and to see what you have been up to. This is also a lot of inspiration, so thank you for documenting your journey. Good luck for next year!

- I may have to take some inspo for next year when my ATAR results come out.....
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2019, 03:54:24 pm »
+2
Congrats Colline! And an amazing achievement for methods!!

Its been so inspiring to read your journal throughout the year!  ;D

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2019, 03:58:12 pm »
+2
A massive congratulations, colline! A 50 in methods is amazing!  ;D
I've loved reading your journal throughout the year and all the best for next year and beyond!

Joyn02

• Adventurer
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2019, 04:53:05 pm »
+4
WHOOP WHOOP CONGRATS COLLINE!! You did absolutely amazing, especially that 50 in methods!! So proud of what you have achieved and I can only imagine what more you'll achieve in university and beyond! Enjoy the early and well-earned break !
2018 Software Dev [38]
2019 Chemistry [37] Physics [47] Methods [41] English [45]
2020 BSci/DVetMed @ UoM

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2019, 07:31:53 pm »
+1
Thanks Snow Leopard!! 🧡
I’m actually putting together a post/guide of the tips and tricks that worked for me in methods this year — it might take a while to complete — but I think some of the most important things are making sure to not waste too much time doing textbook questions and introducing yourself to application problems ASAP. It’s also worth getting SACs and resources from other schools because you don’t want to just get comfortable with how the teachers at your school write questions. Finally, the CAS is SUPER important. I went through the CAS manual and watched a ton of YouTube videos on CAS functions, shortcuts, and guides on self-written programs which applies for the VCE study design. It saves you a lot of really precious time on the exam and during SACs.
Thanks again colline :)
I'll be looking out for that guide!

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2019, 08:42:04 pm »
+4
WOWWWW! Congratulations Colline I have been reading your journal for quite a while now, and cannot find words to express how interesting and exciting it is to see another student's experience with school (especially one who has gone above and beyond). Thank you for inspiring me.

Any advice for tackling UCAT?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:56:22 pm by SmartWorker »
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

Joyn02

• Adventurer
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2019, 07:27:54 pm »
+3
Aww thanks Joyn! And right back at you - your results are extraordinary! I guess we’ll see each other at Melbourne Uni next year then? Well done!! 🧡

Thanks Colline! Yeah I'll see you at Melbourne next year! It's so exciting isn't it? Have you had a look at the subjects you'll want to take?

I was 0.05 off the cutoff for BSci/DVetMed, unfortunately, so now I only have a FFP :(
2018 Software Dev [38]
2019 Chemistry [37] Physics [47] Methods [41] English [45]
2020 BSci/DVetMed @ UoM

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2019, 11:00:12 pm »
+8
Quote from: Snow Leopard

Thanks Snow Leopard!! 🧡
I’m actually putting together a post/guide of the tips and tricks that worked for me in methods this year — it might take a while to complete — but I think some of the most important things are making sure to not waste too much time doing textbook questions and introducing yourself to application problems ASAP. It’s also worth getting SACs and resources from other schools because you don’t want to just get comfortable with how the teachers at your school write questions. Finally, the CAS is SUPER important. I went through the CAS manual and watched a ton of YouTube videos on CAS functions, shortcuts, and guides on self-written programs which applies for the VCE study design. It saves you a lot of really precious time on the exam and during SACs.

Quote from: Ist1103

Thank you so much Ist!! Hahah yeah Sardines is such a legendary game, and the Parkville campus is the perfect place for it ;) Thank you and all the best to you too! 🧡

Quote from: Geoo

Thank you so much Geoo!! I’m really glad that my journal hasn’t just been mindless rambling to everyone reading 😅 And congrats on your sick score in bio!! Good luck with year 12, and don’t get too drunk after ATAR Day 2020! ;) I’m so keen to continue following along your journey 🧡

Quote from: rr28

Thank you rr! 🧡 And absolute best of luck to you for next year, I know you’ll smash it!

Quote from: Evolio

Thank you so much Evolio! And wow, congrats on your superb scores too, I’m sure you’ll do amazing next year! 🧡

Quote from: Joyn02

Aww thanks Joyn! And right back at you - your results are extraordinary! I guess we’ll see each other at Melbourne Uni next year then? Well done!! 🧡

Any advice for tackling UCAT?
Thank you SmartWorker!! 🧡

Regarding the UCAT, frankly I am not the best person to ask. Since med was never my aim to begin with, I didn't actually put too much thought into it - I did the UCAT out of interest - so I didn't actually do any targeted practice. I downloaded the UCAT app and did a lot of questions from there, but other than that, I didn't do any preparation.

I think I was partly able to get the score I did because I simply wasn't stressed about it, so I approached test day with a 'YOLO' attitude and didn't panic during the duration of the test. So my (totally very practical) advice is to have a calm attitude to avoid performing below your potential.

My more practical advice would be to play a bunch of IQ-test-type puzzles or games. They're really fun and I was addicted to them for a good part of my life. Most UCAT questions are built on the same foundations as those games, so if you have experience with those types of brain-puzzles, you'll naturally be more familiar with the sorts of patterns that tend to pop up or the type of distractions they could include to throw you off track.

I'm sorry if both pieces of advice sound kind of weird haha, now reading back on what I wrote, they seem pretty dumb.

Thanks Colline! Yeah I'll see you at Melbourne next year! It's so exciting isn't it? Have you had a look at the subjects you'll want to take?

I was 0.05 off the cutoff for BSci/DVetMed, unfortunately, so now I only have a FFP :(

Oh no!! I'm sorry, that's so unlucky! I'm pretty sure you'll still have opportunities to get a CSP in uni though. Regardless you still did really well!

Yes I am so excited for next year! From looking at the sample course plan we don't seem to have a lot of choices - I'll have to take physics - but I haven't looked too much into electives/breadths yet. Also I've been hearing my friends at Melbourne Uni say this sort of stuff and now it's so weird to hear this vocabulary coming from myself!

Pls don't mind a cheeky plug ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:05:31 pm by colline »

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2019, 09:39:25 pm »
+2
Thank you SmartWorker!

Regarding the UCAT, frankly I am not the best person to ask. Since med was never my aim to begin with, I didn't actually put too much thought into it - I did the UCAT out of interest - so I didn't actually do any targeted practice. I downloaded the UCAT app and did a lot of questions from there, but other than that, I didn't do any preparation.

I think I was partly able to get the score I did because I simply wasn't stressed about it, so I approached test day with a 'YOLO' attitude and didn't panic during the duration of the test. So my (totally very practical) advice is to have a calm attitude to avoid performing below your potential.

My more practical advice would be to play a bunch of IQ-test-type puzzles or games. They're really fun and I was addicted to them for a good part of my life. Most UCAT questions are built on the same foundations as those games, so if you have experience with those types of brain-puzzles, you'll naturally be more familiar with the sorts of patterns that tend to pop up or the type of distractions they could include to throw you off track.

I'm sorry if both pieces of advice sound kind of weird haha, now reading back on what I wrote, they seem pretty dumb.

Oh no!! I'm sorry, that's so unlucky! I'm pretty sure you'll still have opportunities to get a CSP in uni though. Regardless you still did really well!

Yes I am so excited for next year! From looking at the sample course plan we don't seem to have a lot of choices - I'll have to take physics - but I haven't looked too much into electives/breadths yet. Also I've been hearing my friends at Melbourne Uni say this sort of stuff and now it's so weird to hear this vocabulary coming from myself!

Pls don't mind a cheeky plug ;)

Thank you Colline for your advice😀
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2019, 01:36:25 pm »
+17
-- Colline vs VCAA: The Final Chapter --

19 / 12 / 2019  -  Thursday

Hey friends! With the release of December round VTAC offers yesterday, I am at last released from VCAA's tyrannical reign of terror - my journey through VCE has officially come to an end.

Even though I knew what offer was coming, the wait for my email from VTAC was still somewhat nerve wracking. From as early as 8am, my friends started reporting their offers from ACU, Deakin, La Trobe, etc. My Facebook feed was all of a sudden crowded with updates, all my group chats were going insane, yet no email came for me... until 1:57pm.

I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been offered a Commonwealth Supported Place to Bachelor of Science at the University of Melbourne, with guarantee CSP entrance into the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, accelerated pathway!

The journey to this email has been an absolute killer! But I'm also incredibly thankful that it was bumpier than originally planned. From the first week of year 9 to 1:57 yesterday afternoon... It has sure been a long trek!

On AN, I had recorded my journey from the moment I set my eyes on becoming a veterinarian, to the day I received my offer. But the truth is, the journey has been much, much more. From my very first unscored VET in year 9 - when I barely knew what an ATAR was let alone what I wanted to do in the future - to telling my school's career advisor I wanted to become a music therapist in year 10 - to reluctantly swapping out of drama into methods because my head-of-house "forced" me to keep my options open - to checking out animal health courses out of boredom one day and slowly realising music therapy was not for me - until I finally left psychology for chemistry at the end of year 11, which was the moment I knew my goal for uni - not music therapy, but veterinary medicine.

I am seriously looking forward to university!!! Don't know whether I'll do a uni journal on AN, as a BSc isn't exactly the most ~unique~ degree. But I'll see.

This year has been a hell of a year. Was it stressful? Yes. But the stress has been one of the best parts of this year. Controversial opinion, but I don't think stress is a bad thing - it was this stress that pushed me to do my very best, and without it, I couldn't have gotten the results I did. If there is one piece of advice I can give to the next cohort, it's this: You will get stressed in year 12, but don't try to take things easy, hold yourself accountable and be harsh with yourself if you need. Push yourself to go beyond your limits, and you'll be amazed at the results.

With that, it is time to wrap up this thread. Congratulations to my fellow 2019 graduates, and absolute best of luck to the VCE Class of 2020!