Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:14:05 am

Author Topic: Speeches in general  (Read 1370 times)

Rasika

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Speeches in general
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:14:00 pm »
Hi!

I have a speech this Wednesday for Modern History. I need some advice! I get very nervous when i do speeches and i sometimes stutter, move around a lot. Can someone give me advice to how i should present myself on wednesday so i am confident and i dont lose marks for presentation-wise?
Thanks!

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
Re: Speeches in general
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:54:36 pm »
+5
Hi!

I have a speech this Wednesday for Modern History. I need some advice! I get very nervous when i do speeches and i sometimes stutter, move around a lot. Can someone give me advice to how i should present myself on wednesday so i am confident and i dont lose marks for presentation-wise?
Thanks!

Lol I've been in the same position in prelim Legal Studies, and ended up screwing up a speech.
My tips for a great nerveless speech, from experience, are:
-Do not make direct eye contact with the marker
If there are classmates watching you too, do not look directly in their eye or anyone's eye. This will legit freak you out (happened to me). But you can't not look at them because you also get marked on eye contact. Focus your eyes on their nose or mouth. They think you are making eye contact, but you are actually not. This will make your speech less awkward than staring at someone who looks you back.
-Use strong body language
Someone with a bad script who speaks using powerful and appropriate body gestures ALWAYS performs better than someone who has a great script but only stands still whilst reading palm cards and not engaging. If you have glasses, take them off and point them at the audience. This will give you serious marks. Malcolm Turnbull is notorious for using this tactic when being asked questions as it engages the audience and acknowledges that you are focused.
-Believe in yourself, you can do this.
Confidence goes a long way to success.

My battery is going to die, so I hope this helps ;)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 08:25:13 pm »
+1
Adding to the eye contact point - I find that if you look directly above their heads it looks as though you're looking at them, but you won't be making that connection that risks making you laugh or panic. Just look at the wall directly above them!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:49:15 pm »
+2
This might sound a little weird but if you're feeling nervous right before your speech maybe you could try doing some 'power' poses (like standing with your hands on your hips etc)! It might give you that little extra boost of confidence that could help you get past any nerves :)
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2