Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:44:43 am

Author Topic: Pre-HSC Tips: The Ultimate Guide  (Read 15864 times)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Pre-HSC Tips: The Ultimate Guide
« on: October 07, 2016, 05:01:20 pm »
+10

Your first HSC exam is just days away. The next month is going to be stressful, boring, scary and cathartic. Now is NOT the time to stop studying, or to study unproductively, or to burn out. Now is the time for careful consideration of your study techniques, now is the time to pull yourself together for one last push before the HSC is well and truly over. Check out these pre-HSC tips from seriously high achieving students; you’d be losing marks if you didn’t follow these!

Elyse’s Pre-HSC Tips: Exam Rituals

The days leading up to an exam was always well planned, and on better days, well disciplined. My last minute pre-HSC study for subjects other than English was all about going through the syllabus in chronological order and working out exactly what would freak me out in an exam. Then I’d study that section intensely for perhaps half an hour until I felt like I could at least put words on the page if I was examined on that aspect of the syllabus. I was committed to ensuring that I wouldn’t be in an exam and kicking myself over leaving out one section of the syllabus from my study. For English, I was making sure my quotes were committed to memory and I was going through past papers to, again, work out what would throw me off in an exam. Allocating all of your panic-filled moments to the days before the exam means that you’ll be well adjusted to dealing with initial panic in an effective way – or at least that’s what I told myself.

Pre-HSC, I was eating three meals a day and snacking approximately 18 times a day (trips to the fridge were my preferred form of procrastination). Keeping your meals and water intake up to standard is super important. I wouldn’t go to sleep any later than 10pm, in fact usually it was closer to 9pm. Each morning I’d get up about 3 hours before my morning exam, keeping in mind it would take about an hour to get dressed, have breakfast, and travel to school. The first two hours? Study. But, at a leisurely rate. Nothing too intense.

If I knew there was something I hadn’t managed to cover properly in my study yet, I made sure I was up at 5am to iron out anything that could throw me way off the mark in an exam. This proved especially relevant for Legal Studies. I only had International Crime left to study the night before, and a little voice in my head said, “don’t worry – what are the odds that they’ll ask you about the one thing you didn’t study?” But the nerd in me took over, and I was up at 5am to study International Crime. Surely, we were asked about Transnational Crime, a section within the area I looked at the morning of the exam. You couldn’t believe the smirk on my face.

Alternatively, if I felt comfortable with my pre-HSC study, I would get ready in a super leisurely manner, trying to stay calm and briefly revise things. Just before the exam, I would sit out the front of the exam room and look over some revision sheets just to warm my brain up for the 3 hour marathon ahead. If anyone wanted to talk, I was polite, but also confident. I don’t know where the science is to back me up with this, but I genuinely think that faking confidence when talking to other people, rather than playing into the “y’know, I’m screwed” conversation, gave me the little extra boost I needed to walk into the exam, head held high.

It’s worth knowing that towards the end of the exam weeks, I was tired and exhausted. My plan was essentially the same the entire way, but the execution suited my daily feels. If I was too tired to study, off to bed. Even if it was 2pm. If I was feeling sad and in the dumps, it was time to watch a movie. You can plan every minute of this crazy period – but you have to be realistic about how much your mind and body will be able to go through. Treat yourself with care! Together, your mind and body have gotten you this far and they’ll take you through to the end.

Jamon’s Pre-HSC Tips: Understanding Your Strengths

Jamon chatted in detail about his pre-HSC rituals here!

I always save the most recent exam for the day before an exam. In the HSC, I saved the most recent two. So, on the day before an exam, I would wake up and do the 2012 and 2013 HSC Exams for that subject. I would mark them myself, and give myself a last minute self-evaluation. Where did I need to improve? Where did I lose the marks?

From there I’d spend the afternoon and evening doing some lighter revision. Brainstorms, reading over/writing out summary sheets, reading over past papers, some easier practice questions from the textbook, etc. Not intensive past papers, just something to keep my brain moving.

But shouldn’t I do heaps the day before, smash out a whole bunch of past papers?

Not necessarily! It is really important to make sure you are well rested the night before an exam. There is almost no benefit to staying up until 1am doing past papers. You’ll wake up feeling stressed, overworked and exhausted; definitely not a good frame of mind for sitting an exam.

So instead, get your practice down earlier in the day, and keep it light in the evenings. Then, I’d stop work 12 hours before the paper starts. Give or take, obviously, but stopping at this point was really important to me. I wanted to ensure that I had adequate time to recharge. You know that feeling you get at the end of a textbook section, that feeling of, “I really just couldn’t care less right now?” That is the feeling I wanted to avoid.

I got to bed at a decent hour and woke up fairly early for my HSC Exams. I never did past papers/practice before an exam. I would only ever read over summary sheets or palm cards; doing actual practice always stressed me out way too much.

I would get to the exam about an hour before it was due to start (better safe than sorry!). When there I would chat to others in my subject, but I’d always make a point of avoiding the really stressed people who I knew would bring me down. I needed my calm environment, and I made sure I got it.

Hang around, go to bathroom, etc., and eventually you get called in. The last thing I did (and this is the big thing I want to stress), is that you need to walk in feeling confident. I’d even say strut! If you act confident on the outside, you’ll feel confident on the inside.

Someone asks how you feel? You are great.

Studied enough? Sure have!

Feeling nervous? Not really, just want it done!

Ooze confidence from start to finish. Physical actions translate into a psychological advantage for you!

Jake’s Pre-HSC Tips: Effective Cramming

There are certain things that I strongly believe you shouldn’t be doing with a day or so to go before an exam. You shouldn’t be writing extensive notes, and really you shouldn’t be revising using a massive set of notes either. You probably shouldn’t be researching information. By this point, you really need to have some sort of comprehensive set of notes, whether they’re your own, a friends, or some that you’ve downloaded for FREE. Your pre-HSC study needs to be more effective than that, and more targeting at your weaknesses. So, how exactly did I do it?

I would recommend writing a set of what I call ‘super notes’. Take your set of complete notes, and run through them quickly. Using paper and colourful pens (I know, old school), write a super succinct set of notes. The notes should only contain information that you don’t know yet. If you completely understand a dot-point, it shouldn’t be in your super notes. If you can summarise a dot-point into 2 words, do it. Use colours of different sections of the curriculum, or different types of information. Draw flow-charts, diagrams, whatever you need to do to make the notes make sense to you, and no-one else. Then, use these notes to study. Read from them, talk to yourself outline and elaborate the 2-3 written words for as long as you can. Once you learn some info, re-write the entire set of super-notes. Basically, for each subject, you want to aim to get these notes down to the absolute minimum length. I had all of my subjects down to one page or less by the time the HSC comes around.

Obviously, you need to be doing past papers. They are the best way to identify gaps in your knowledge, and the best way to practice and plan responses to particular questions. Most of the questions you get in your actual HSC will be directly copied and pasted from past exam papers! When you’re doing past papers, make sure to mark them, do them under timed conditions etc. etc. I wouldn’t be using notes at this stage, EXCEPT for your super notes. Obviously, those notes contain information that you don’t know yet, so it would be silly not to use them! By applying them to questions, you’ll be able to remove them more quickly.

If you get a question wrong in a past papers, write it in a ‘bank’ somewhere. Repeat the question the next day, and make sure you get it right. If you don’t, repeat it the next day. And the next. Basically, keep doing it until you understand that answer perfectly. That’s the best way to actually learn from past papers, rather than just doing them! Obviously, this is something you need to do BEFORE the night before an exam!

Finally, make sure you get a good night’s sleep. Relax, grab a cup of tea, and sleep as much as you can. That way, you’re less likely to make a stupid mistake in the exam!

Those are my best pre-HSC tips. If you have any specific questions, make sure to make use of the rest of these free online forums, where you can ask literally any question about any subject!

Leave a reply to this post by clicking the reply button, or just clicking this link here!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:39:19 am by jamonwindeyer »
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Lottie99

• Trailblazer
  • More stressed than I seem
  • Respect: 0
Re: Pre-HSC Tips: The Ultimate Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 09:48:40 pm »
What are your recommendations on studying english before english? Should we allocate days that are just spent cramming english?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 09:55:36 pm »
+2
What are your recommendations on studying english before english? Should we allocate days that are just spent cramming english?

Personally, I could never spend an entire day on English. Knowing this, I spent several half-days on the subject. Basically, it's totally up to you! If you CAN spend the entire day on English, you absolutely should! Study in a way that works best for you :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Lottie99

• Trailblazer
  • More stressed than I seem
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:58:45 pm »
Any approaches for the actual exam I.e do the one you struggle the most with or do the one you struggle the least with first?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 10:03:54 pm »
+1
Any approaches for the actual exam I.e do the one you struggle the most with or do the one you struggle the least with first?
Always the one that you struggle the least. Because you know for sure you can get those marks. All about mark maximisation.

Whereas the ones you struggle the most you might end up just wasting time.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 11:17:04 pm »
+2
All about mark maximisation.

Hey that's my line! ;)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 09:27:09 am »
Always the one that you struggle the least. Because you know for sure you can get those marks. All about mark maximisation.

Whereas the ones you struggle the most you might end up just wasting time.

It all works well in theory saying I'll do the easiest one first to boost my confidence and maximise marks (so I dont take Jamon's line ;D) but in say English Paper 2, I get a paragraph into my favourite one (Mod B) before I physically feel like I cannot do the weakest one (Mod A- Richards  :-\). I have to stop my train of thought for Mod B (writing down key points though) and work on Mod A. I cannot function effectively in the exam unless I know that while I have probably screwed up Mod A, there is nothing I can do anymore and I have to move on. I can then go Mod B and C with no dramas.

Does this sound absolutely ridiculous or actually make some sense? Am I the only one who does this?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 09:32:41 am »
+2
It all works well in theory saying I'll do the easiest one first to boost my confidence and maximise marks (so I dont take Jamon's line ;D) but in say English Paper 2, I get a paragraph into my favourite one (Mod B) before I physically feel like I cannot do the weakest one (Mod A- Richards  :-\). I have to stop my train of thought for Mod B (writing down key points though) and work on Mod A. I cannot function effectively in the exam unless I know that while I have probably screwed up Mod A, there is nothing I can do anymore and I have to move on. I can then go Mod B and C with no dramas.

Does this sound absolutely ridiculous or actually make some sense? Am I the only one who does this?
I store all my quotes in my head and ensure it's actually gonna stay there, then during my reading time I start planning out how to tackle the questions. Once writing time begins, for my first essay I just jot everything down and stick with it.

Reason being because I've already started. If I suddenly derail off to a different module halfway through then my train of thought for that one I'm doing is what suffers. For me it was a case of "Rui you don't have the time to worry about that just yet". Only when I've finished (probably without proofreading - that's the last thing I do) can I feel like it's safe to restart the cycle.

Too hard for me to be all over the place, because I always must think about one question

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 04:51:48 pm »
+2
Personally I always have to separate myself from people of all forms the morning of the exam! Maybe it's just an introvert thing, but I always go into the study room in the library, not talk to anyone, and just lock myself in and start writing whatever I could remember. Weird pre-exam ritual but that always calms me down, personally.
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 07:48:50 pm »
+1
Personally I always have to separate myself from people of all forms the morning of the exam! Maybe it's just an introvert thing, but I always go into the study room in the library, not talk to anyone, and just lock myself in and start writing whatever I could remember. Weird pre-exam ritual but that always calms me down, personally.

I had friends like this! And on some occasions, usually for particularly nervous exams, I did the same thing (not talking to people)! Thanks for sharing - this might be useful for other people who feel the same way!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

lysscass

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 07:05:58 pm »
I have two exams on the last day (chemistry and drama). in trials i didn't have this, so it's kind of thrown my ritual. should i drive home between so I can study for a few hours before drama and then have my pump-up drive back in, or just walk to the library and maybe get an extra half hour revision in?  :-\

roshanajabbour

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 07:18:11 pm »
I have two exams on the last day (chemistry and drama). in trials i didn't have this, so it's kind of thrown my ritual. should i drive home between so I can study for a few hours before drama and then have my pump-up drive back in, or just walk to the library and maybe get an extra half hour revision in?  :-\
I honestly think that after a 3 hour exam you should relax for 30 mins or so but then jump right back into your revision as it is the last exam...
So maybe do this at the library :-)
I unfortunately had both Chemistry and Ancient History (both 3 hour exams) on the same day during my trials and grateful that they're well apart now.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 08:08:17 pm »
+1

Jamon's going to give some wisdom on double days soon, hang out for his article :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

lysscass

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 08:12:40 pm »
Jamon's going to give some wisdom on double days soon, hang out for his article :)
okay, i'll be waiting with bated breath hahaha!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 09:36:30 pm »
+3
okay, i'll be waiting with bated breath hahaha!

Check in tomorrow afternoon!! I'd also like to share this extract from a conversation with Elyse literally 10 minutes ago:

(Hope that was okay to share Elyse) -> You two are on the same wavelength ;)