Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:36:48 am

Author Topic: Insight on my HHD studies .. ?  (Read 1116 times)  Share 

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
Insight on my HHD studies .. ?
« on: May 08, 2019, 09:40:15 am »
This year I'm studying Unit 1/2 Health and Human as my accelerated subject (I'm in Year 10), and I'm pretty happy with it so far but I can't help but have some doubts about my class.

There a couple of things I'm, well, not worried about, but definitely thinking about;
1. We're using the Jacaranda 3/4 textbook for both years. Now, theres nothing wrong with the textbook, but shouldn't we be using the 1/2??
2. Our study guide that our teacher gave us and the VCAA study guide are a bit different (we haven't covered everything in the Unit 1 section of the VCAA study guide yet, and I'm not sure if we will)
3. If we're studying a bit differently to other schools, won't that affect our exams/scores?

I know that Year 11 assessments are school based, but I obviously want to make sure that I'm studying the right things to prepare me and not just leave me in the dark when bigger assessments come along.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: Insight on my HHD studies .. ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 04:47:19 pm »
+2

This year I'm studying Unit 1/2 Health and Human as my accelerated subject (I'm in Year 10), and I'm pretty happy with it so far but I can't help but have some doubts about my class.

There a couple of things I'm, well, not worried about, but definitely thinking about;
1. We're using the Jacaranda 3/4 textbook for both years. Now, theres nothing wrong with the textbook, but shouldn't we be using the 1/2??
2. Our study guide that our teacher gave us and the VCAA study guide are a bit different (we haven't covered everything in the Unit 1 section of the VCAA study guide yet, and I'm not sure if we will)
3. If we're studying a bit differently to other schools, won't that affect our exams/scores?

I know that Year 11 assessments are school based, but I obviously want to make sure that I'm studying the right things to prepare me and not just leave me in the dark when bigger assessments come along.

Hey jeydanaazli,

It is quite odd that your teacher is using the 3/4 textbook for a 1/2 class - the content definitely differs. I'd suggest asking your teacher or another staff member about why they are teaching the subject this way.

For Unit 1/2 subjects, the assessments are indeed school based so I guess it doesn't matter too much that the study design is not being used as a framework for teaching the content. Your exams may be written to accommodate what you have learnt in class.
It would be more of a worry if you were doing a 3/4 subject where there is an external exam. You would receive a Derived Exam Score (used if a person is ill or affected by other personal circumstances at the time of the VCAA exam) if it were to be for 3/4.

Good luck :)

2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 05:21:09 pm »
+1

Hey

Yes u should be using the 1/2 book

but for a subject like HHD

The 3/4 content is really all that matters . . . not learning the 1/2 content isn't a disadvantage and actually learning the 3/4 content twice would really cement your knowledge. . . there are only a few key things that are relevant in both 1/2 and 3/4 HHD
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

LivQuaintrelle

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 05:37:03 pm »
+2

Hey jeydanaazli!
Great subject choice! To be honest, I didn't do Health 1/2, but I did finish the subject last year and I think, from what you've written, your school and teacher want you to be ahead for next year by studying a majority of Units 3 and 4 this year, as there isn't too much of an overlap between Units 1/2 and 3/4 if you check out the study design, except a lot of the key definitions. I think that would probably answer your first 2 questions; definitely worth asking your teacher if this is the case.
As for your third question, because it's all internally assessed, your scores this year won't affect your final score next year as you only need an S to pass (and what the pass figure for an S is differs from school to school) which is all that ends up being recorded when you get your final score. This applies to all subjects too. It's only next year when this might be an issue because everybody gets the same exam in the end but, from what you're saying, it seems that your school is definitely prepping you for that well!
Good luck and I hope this helps :)

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 07:45:52 pm »
+1
Thank you guys for answering! I really appreciate all the perspectives (:

I've spoken to my teacher and apparently we're using 3/4 resources because of the overlap of both years, to kind of solidify the information.
I brought up how theres some things in the study guide we're not covering, and my teacher actually said they'll get together the HHD team and start thinking about what we need to cover, (nutrition and allat)

I do have access to the 1/2 textbook online, so on the holidays, I'll make note of what I need to do and self-study from there, I guess.  8)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 05:04:34 pm »
+1
Thank you guys for answering! I really appreciate all the perspectives (:

I've spoken to my teacher and apparently we're using 3/4 resources because of the overlap of both years, to kind of solidify the information.
I brought up how theres some things in the study guide we're not covering, and my teacher actually said they'll get together the HHD team and start thinking about what we need to cover, (nutrition and allat)

I do have access to the 1/2 textbook online, so on the holidays, I'll make note of what I need to do and self-study from there, I guess.  8)

Nice one! Sounds like it went well. :)

Remember you can ask any questions about the content on these forums if you're confused or unsure about anything!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.