Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 06:14:48 am

Author Topic: WAM/GPA needed for masters in teaching  (Read 1196 times)  Share 

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
WAM/GPA needed for masters in teaching
« on: September 03, 2019, 10:32:57 pm »
Hey guys I'm planning to undertake a double degree in commerce/science at Monash next year, and try to en-roll in the masters of teaching at UOM after I complete my course. However, the course website isn't specific about what requirements I would need to meet to make it into the course. I've tried emailing UOM directly but I haven't gotten a response in months. Does anyone have any information, it would be much appreciated :).
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: WAM/GPA needed for masters in teaching
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 10:38:28 pm »
+2
MTeach at Melb is extremely competitive. This paired with the fact there's limited CSP/HECS places overall and the fact they offer guaranteed entry pathway to their own students first makes it extremely challenging. You might have better luck if you apply for a full fee place (wouldn't recommend putting it above a CSP place preference though)

I had a WAM of 77 overall and still didn't get in. They also use the CASPer test along with other things to determine entry as well. I would aim to do the MTeach at Monash as you'd be given entry based on your undergrad.

If you are sold on Melb over Monash for the MTeach for whatever reason.... it might be worth doing your undergrad at Melb so you have that guaranteed entry. To be fairly honest with you it doesn't matter where you go and do it, as long as you walk out of it job-ready (this is usually achieved through the placement rounds anyway so really nothing to do with the university itself).

When you go for positions, education is a career area that focuses more on experience and skills rather than the prestige of a university or course. Schools want to identify that you're the best person for the job and unfortunately a piece of paper in a career that requires a voice and an ability to emotionally relate, doesn't really do it on its own.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:44:08 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile