Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 12:27:15 am

Author Topic: Substrate concentration HELP  (Read 781 times)  Share 

Keerit

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Substrate concentration HELP
« on: March 05, 2017, 06:45:41 pm »
First question: Is substrate concentration maintained by homeostasis???? Or is that water is maintained by homeostasis which essentially also contributes to the maintenance of substrate concentration!!??

Okay so we are doing a substrate concentration experiment in class and when we write our discussion we have to talk about the significance of substrate concentration on enzymes
It is okay to mention this:I
If  substrate concentration becomes too dilute, there are insufficient interactions between the enzyme and the substrate. And if it becomes too concentrated then dehydration will occur due to the insufficient water present to carry out metabolism. Leading to an increase in waste concentration?
^ is that correct?

1937jk

• Trailblazer
Re: Substrate concentration HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 11:10:25 pm »
I would think of it rather than 'substrate concentration is maintained by homeostasis' to enzymes need specific conditions in order to function at their optimum metabolic efficiency so in order for this to happen an organism needs maintain optimal conditions i.e substrate concentrations. Water plays a critical role in maintaining homeostasis, you want to have a balance between everything so if your water levels are balanced (not dehydrated) therefore it will contribute to substrate concentration.

Also, your sentence is correct to me, although you could even think of why is that a high concentration increases the rate of reaction between the substrate and enzyme (because more substrates are colliding with enzymes hence producing more product) and why it reaches a point where the reaction is no longer increased (enzymes become saturated and cannot possibly work any faster)
I hope this helps to some dergee!  :)

Keerit

• Adventurer
Re: Substrate concentration HELP
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:20:13 am »
Thank you very much!