Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:53:18 am

Author Topic: attendance?  (Read 1572 times)  Share 

oncampusdealer

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
attendance?
« on: February 25, 2017, 04:43:46 pm »
is their attendance for lectures tutorials etc in uni? like do we need to meet 90% attendance to pass the unit something like that??

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: attendance?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:58:58 pm »
Some units have hurdle requirements where you have to attend a certain number of tutorials/practicals/labs etc to pass the unit. Most of the time, everything except lectures will have attendance marked (note I said "most of the time"). It's important to check the unit guides + take note of any requirements, because they vary from unit to unit (+ faculties).

Like.. for example.. its against policy for education units to have compulsory attendance requirements (or hurdles relating to it)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:01:35 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: attendance?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:35:19 pm »
is their attendance for lectures tutorials etc in uni? like do we need to meet 90% attendance to pass the unit something like that??

My understanding is that you're starting a Bachelor of Science and at least studying CHM1011 and MTH1020.

In CHM1011, the tutorials and labs are attendance based and will contain assessment. Lectures are not assessed, but I would advise going to the final lecture each week, renamed as a 'workshop', as they do some experiments that don't get fully recorded on MULO (Monash University Lectures Online - the Monash online lecture portal). :)

In MTH1020, they go through the notes and will usually record the working out. It's okay to not be there as lectures are not assessed. They also have workshops where I can't remember if they were attendance based, but will help you out on assignments which definitely count as assessment. 

It depends on the unit, but in science, almost all labs are attendance based or have such a high percentage of assessment that you'll fail if you miss more than one without a good excuse e.g. medical certificate. Some tutorials, workshops, consultations and seminars are somewhat attendance based (some units have a percentage which is usually stated as a hurdle in the unit guide).
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread