Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:12:00 am

Author Topic: alternators...  (Read 1400 times)  Share 

___

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
alternators...
« on: November 11, 2007, 12:23:13 pm »
can someone give a rundown on alternators? ie. how they generate voltage, their physical components and how they are arranged etc?

in the many practice exams ive done, alternators havnt been a major component (maybe the odd question here and there), but i still want to make sure.

Galelleo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
alternators...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 12:25:18 pm »
alternators make AC voltage.

They use slip rings , the armature spins around the axis of rotation and as it does so the induced EMF travels along the coils into the slip rings and out of the carbon brushes. The voltage is AC because as the coil spins, the current is changing direction every half rotation. (the slip rings just allow free movement).
Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Light a man ON fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

v2shan

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
alternators...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:30:54 pm »
Quote from: "Galelleo"
alternators make AC voltage.

They use slip rings , the armature spins around the axis of rotation and as it does so the induced EMF travels along the coils into the slip rings and out of the carbon brushes. The voltage is AC because as the coil spins, the current is changing direction every half rotation. (the slip rings just allow free movement).

Don't think alternators use slip rings cos they get damaged by the heat of the engine. Instead, to avoid the use of slip rings, in an alternator a magnet rotates within in a solenoid, unlike a generator where the coils rotate within a magnetic field. This is the knowledge I've accumulated from various prac exams, so it's only as reliable as their answers..... and yeah they make AC voltage
mmmmmmm, Marie + Tea = My kinda cookies + milk

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
alternators...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 07:23:11 pm »
Slip rings are used for simple pracs where you have that spinning loop. In real generators, they do something else, because the slip-ring friction is probably not desirable. They have a rotor and a stator, or something, and something happens, look it up, haha.

Galelleo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
alternators...
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 07:46:30 pm »
actually, i wrote that ages ago... /dumbass

Alternators are where the magnets rotate around the coil ... (and no they dont need slip rings because the coil isnt moving) to generate AC current.
Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Light a man ON fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.