Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:50:50 am

Author Topic: How to prepare for the Mathematics Component - FULL GUIDE  (Read 2329 times)  Share 

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
How to prepare for the Mathematics Component - FULL GUIDE
« on: July 12, 2019, 10:55:19 am »
+4
I did my selective test this year (put mhs first preference) and I finished all 60 questions on maths. For those wonder what the last questions was: you had to find the ratio between the surface area of a cone and the shaded area of a parabola. The answer was D for those wondering. Anyways here is a full guide on how to prepare for the maths component:

TRIGONOMETRY: LEARN ALL RATIOS è.g tan(60) = sqrt(3), sin(45) = 1. Also learn “SOH CAH TOA”

FINANCIAL MATHEMATICS: SIMPLE INTEREST AND COMPOUND INTEREST AND LOAN REPAYMENT (This came up in the last 15 questions.

LINEAR EQUATIONS: Learn how to calculate the gradient/equation/slope of a straight line. Learn the distance between two colinear points formula.

PARABOLAS: Learn how to determine the equation of a parabola.

CIRCLE GEOMETRY: Learn CYCLIC QUADRILATERLAS (THIS CAME UP THIS YEAR), I also recommend going through the whole topic.

GEOMETRY: LEAEN HOW TO CALCULATE THE VOLUME AND SUEFACE AREA OF A CONE A SPHERE(HAD TO KNOW THIS FOR QUESTION 60), AND PRETTY MUCH ALL 3D SHAPES. Also learn ow to calculate the area of all 2D shapes.

SURDS AND SCIENTIFIC NOTATION: learn the basic concept of scientific notation AND LEARN HOW TO SIMPLIFY SURDS.

QUADRATIC AND CUBIC EQUATIONS: Practice these in a year 10 textbook.

THE RESOURCES I USED: Overall you should master year 9 and 10 maths. I used the Cambridge year 10 mathematics textbook, and trust me for those who are sitting the test next year, learn the maths now and spend more time on English. By the end of this year you should master the maths and use the Christmas holidays to master english

khushi2105

• Fresh Poster
Re: How to prepare for the Mathematics Component - FULL GUIDE
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 04:35:40 pm »
Hm yes this is true. I have some practice tests if anyone would like - pls pm me :)
Can you plz send me these too. Thanks so much :)

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 05:57:20 pm »
+1
Can you plz send me these too. Thanks so much :)

Sure, I will give it by tuesday :). [just letting u know, the only ones I have are actually just mathematics, reading comprehension and numerical reasoning, and some may not have answers. Not too much so DW :)].

Yians014

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 01:25:08 am »
Hm yes this is true. I have some practice tests if anyone would like - pls pm me :)

Hii could I please have these tests too? I would appreciate it so much :)
And, sorry if I didn’t reply correctly.. I am knew to ATAR NOTES, and am still trying to figure out the controls lol

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 01:37:53 pm »
+4

Please make sure anything you share you have the right to distribute & aren't breaking copyright. I.e. if it's a commercial exam you paid for or you don't have the permission of the author don't share it.

Hii could I please have these tests too? I would appreciate it so much :)
And, sorry if I didn’t reply correctly.. I am knew to ATAR NOTES, and am still trying to figure out the controls lol

Welcome!!  And don't worry, you've replied correctly :)
The new users lounge might be useful for you to build up confidence with the forums

Yians014

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 11:11:34 pm »
The new users lounge might be useful for you to build up confidence with the forums

Thank you so much! And, I’m so sorry but where exactly do I find the practice tests now? 😂

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 12:41:52 pm »
+1
Please make sure anything you share you have the right to distribute & aren't breaking copyright. I.e. if it's a commercial exam you paid for or you don't have the permission of the author don't share it.

Sorry,  :P was not aware of that rule. Is there like a place, where I have access to what materials can be and not be distributed? And should I just delete my previous post? TY!  :)

gasha1920

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 07:30:53 pm »

can you please send me those too? :D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 11:56:50 am »

Thank you so much! And, I’m so sorry but where exactly do I find the practice tests now? 😂

I didn't do select entry tests so I'm not really aware of where people generally go for these resources, but this thread may be able to help you out as well as looking for generally for practice questions on these topics. There's certainly free resources on all of the topics in the above post and often they'll come with worked examples or practice questions.

Sorry,  :P was not aware of that rule. Is there like a place, where I have access to what materials can be and not be distributed? And should I just delete my previous post? TY!  :)

That's ok - thank you for responding appropriately now that you know :) I would delete or edit your previous post and for information on the rules (including copyright) this thread in the New Users Lounge is the go-to. If you have any questions about the rules you can also message someone on the mod team (list here) for clarification :)

Yians014

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 02:40:20 pm »
I did my selective test this year (put mhs first preference) and I finished all 60 questions on maths. For those wonder what the last questions was: you had to find the ratio between the surface area of a cone and the shaded area of a parabola. The answer was D for those wondering. Anyways here is a full guide on how to prepare for the maths component:

TRIGONOMETRY: LEARN ALL RATIOS è.g tan(60) = sqrt(3), sin(45) = 1. Also learn “SOH CAH TOA”

FINANCIAL MATHEMATICS: SIMPLE INTEREST AND COMPOUND INTEREST AND LOAN REPAYMENT (This came up in the last 15 questions.

LINEAR EQUATIONS: Learn how to calculate the gradient/equation/slope of a straight line. Learn the distance between two colinear points formula.

PARABOLAS: Learn how to determine the equation of a parabola.

CIRCLE GEOMETRY: Learn CYCLIC QUADRILATERLAS (THIS CAME UP THIS YEAR), I also recommend going through the whole topic.

GEOMETRY: LEAEN HOW TO CALCULATE THE VOLUME AND SUEFACE AREA OF A CONE A SPHERE(HAD TO KNOW THIS FOR QUESTION 60), AND PRETTY MUCH ALL 3D SHAPES. Also learn ow to calculate the area of all 2D shapes.

SURDS AND SCIENTIFIC NOTATION: learn the basic concept of scientific notation AND LEARN HOW TO SIMPLIFY SURDS.

QUADRATIC AND CUBIC EQUATIONS: Practice these in a year 10 textbook.

THE RESOURCES I USED: Overall you should master year 9 and 10 maths. I used the Cambridge year 10 mathematics textbook, and trust me for those who are sitting the test next year, learn the maths now and spend more time on English. By the end of this year you should master the maths and use the Christmas holidays to master english

Hi there :)
Which year level did you sit the exam for?

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 08:28:17 am »

Hi there :)
Which year level did you sit the exam for?

Year 9 entry

jz27

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 08:55:24 pm »
:O
2020: Chinese SLA [34-> ~43]
2021 (raw): English [42] Spesh [43] Methods [45] Chem [40] Physics [41]

ATAR: 99.30
UCAT: 3240 (99th)
Studying Medicine at Monash University

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!