Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 03:33:58 am

Author Topic: If you had the power, how would you change the HSC?  (Read 4541 times)  Share 

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
  • Respect: +25
Re: If you had the power, how would you change the HSC?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 07:36:42 pm »
+4
I don't think I am qualified to formulate a new system but all I know for sure is that if I had the power I would make sure the HSC was not a thing. I know from parents/grandparents that even the schooling system in general was never this intense. The pressure on youth to get this ATAR mark, get into uni, then get a job, then live happily ever after fiasco puts unnecassary pressure on youth. 1 in 7 youth each given year experience mental health distress. I think a major factor is school. School is not for everyone, but our system, especially the HSC seems to be very cookie cutter like. Students having to sacrifice many aspects of their life for their studies, all leading up to the ATAR. There are many schooling systems around the world, especially Finland, which are exemplary examples of a functional school system that does not cause so much stress on the student. Should students not find school fun and want to learn? Headspace released an article saying that majority of Australian students are stressed or depressed! 79% anxious, 59% feeling worthless.

My changes would be (inspired by Finland):
no standardised testing
students should not be learning just to pass a test but to actually learn!!

more rigourous training for teachers
and more often so they are up to date on curriculum as they are essentially shaping the minds of the future

less about competition

sorry about long rant but as you can tell I feel very passionate about this
subjects - year 12 2020: Biology - Society and Culture - Drama - Advanced Mathematics - Advanced English - Studies of Religion