Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 02:13:46 am

Author Topic: Geography Question Thread  (Read 38879 times)  Share 

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
Re: Geography Question Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2018, 10:34:58 am »
Q1.
1cm = 10 companies.
1987 = 49 out of 66 NZ Owned = 74%
1997 = 39 out of 92 NZ Owned = 42%
74-42
= 32% --> C
Tip: I had attempted to calculate percentage change for just NZ Owned companies (ie, how many more NZ owned companies were there in 97 than 87, but the Question actually asks for the change in the percentage of NZ Owned Companies from 87 to 97 in comparison to TNCs.

Q4.
Area of Queenstown = 4 x 3 (Approx) = 12 cm squared.
1cm2 = 25000
Therefore 12 x 25000 = 300000 --> B

Q6.
Distance by Road = 12cm = 12 km using scale of 1:100000
At 40km/h, 12/40 = 0.3 hrs
0.3 x 60 = 18 minutes --> C

Q1: I can't get the same measurements as you for the number of companies. I get:
1987: 44 out of 60 NZ owned
1997: 37 out of 85 NZ owned

Q3: I can't seem to get 12cm either, I get about 11
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

BiggieT

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2018, 04:55:16 pm »
Q1: I can't get the same measurements as you for the number of companies. I get:
1987: 44 out of 60 NZ owned
1997: 37 out of 85 NZ owned

Q3: I can't seem to get 12cm either, I get about 11

If you're doing the measurements on a computer/tablet/phone, make sure the scale is correct and that 1cm actually equals 1cm.

For example, I was doing the paper on my laptop and had zoomed in too far, meaning that 1cm on my ruler was only 0.5cm in real life.

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2018, 06:03:06 pm »
If you're doing the measurements on a computer/tablet/phone, make sure the scale is correct and that 1cm actually equals 1cm.

For example, I was doing the paper on my laptop and had zoomed in too far, meaning that 1cm on my ruler was only 0.5cm in real life.

I printed the stimulus sheet off on A4 paper
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2018, 06:10:27 pm »
I printed the stimulus sheet off on A4 paper
I've found that when you print the exam from NESA, it prints slightly smaller that the original would have been (idk why), so that is probably why you are getting smaller values. As long as you are using the correct process and getting similar answers you should be fine.
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2018, 08:52:16 am »
I've found that when you print the exam from NESA, it prints slightly smaller that the original would have been (idk why), so that is probably why you are getting smaller values. As long as you are using the correct process and getting similar answers you should be fine.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2018, 11:01:52 am »

That would make sense, thanks!
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2018, 03:22:19 pm »
Does anyone know why q11 from the 2002 paper is A? I chose C
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2018, 04:46:50 pm »
Can you please attach the question you are referring to somehow? It would be much easier to answer your question
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

BiggieT

• Adventurer
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2018, 05:59:43 pm »
+2

Low precipitation is obvious due to the dry clay soil, desert fauna and also the climate graph of Source H.

It is low elevation because Barrow Island is a very flat island that doesn't rise far above sea level on any part of the land. This is evidenced in Photo 1 of Source F, and also the Topographic Map of Source D.

Make sure you use all the sources available and suggested in the question, in this case, Sources D, F and H

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2018, 12:14:38 pm »
Has anyone done this essay question from the 2015 HSC paper?
"Account for the changing nature, character and spatial distribution of mega cities."

I'm not sure how to talk about the changing nature, character and distribution?
Thanks
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2018, 01:20:00 pm »
+2
Has anyone done this essay question from the 2015 HSC paper?
"Account for the changing nature, character and spatial distribution of mega cities."

I'm not sure how to talk about the changing nature, character and distribution?
Thanks

I think I have written that one, can't remember off the top of my head what I wrote BUT some ideas are
- changing in nature as population growth means population is changing
- changing in character due to the issue she that are arising from lack of governance and infrastructure and an increase in population
- changing spatial distribution as we are looking at mega cities of the developing world so if countries get wealthier whilst others remain poor, the spatial patterns change

Try and think about the current nature, character and spatial distribution and think about how it has changed leading up to this point and how it is changing due to increased populating, lack of governance and infrastructure

Hope this helps :)

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2018, 02:31:04 pm »
I think I have written that one, can't remember off the top of my head what I wrote BUT some ideas are
- changing in nature as population growth means population is changing
- changing in character due to the issue she that are arising from lack of governance and infrastructure and an increase in population
- changing spatial distribution as we are looking at mega cities of the developing world so if countries get wealthier whilst others remain poor, the spatial patterns change

Try and think about the current nature, character and spatial distribution and think about how it has changed leading up to this point and how it is changing due to increased populating, lack of governance and infrastructure

Hope this helps :)
Ok thankyou! So can I just talk about past changes or would I also have to talk about how megacities are still changing? Because most of the changes I can think of are past changes (eg. They are now mostly in the developing world but they used to be in developed countries)

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2018, 06:30:16 pm »
+1
Yep, so you can talk about how they have changed and how they are changing, just really make sure you hit the key points regarding nature, character and spatial distribution

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2018, 11:37:15 am »
Hello,
has anyone done the 2010 essay on urban dynamics? im doing my one on urban consolidation in barangaroo, but just really confused as to how I should structure it. The essay question is: Analyse ONE of the urban dynamics of change operating in a country town or a suburb.
Im kinda thinking I'll discuss the advantages and disadvantages of urban consolidation in two different paragraphs, but just didn't know if that's how I should be doing it or not?

Thanks in advance:)

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2018, 12:19:39 pm »
+2
Hello,
has anyone done the 2010 essay on urban dynamics? im doing my one on urban consolidation in barangaroo, but just really confused as to how I should structure it. The essay question is: Analyse ONE of the urban dynamics of change operating in a country town or a suburb.
Im kinda thinking I'll discuss the advantages and disadvantages of urban consolidation in two different paragraphs, but just didn't know if that's how I should be doing it or not?

Thanks in advance:)
Hi, I think it depends on what your urban dynamic is. For consolidation I think talking about advantages and disadvantages is a good idea, but maybe also include a paragraph before that to define consolidation and specifically explain the details of how it is occurring in your town. This would just help to expand your essay a bit more.

My dynamic is urban renewal in Honeysuckle (a suburb of Newcastle), so I would probably have one paragraph talking about the history and why urban renewal was neccessary, another on the urban renewal project and a final one on the impacts of the urban renewal. So maybe you could think about it this way if it works for your town.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to structure it, as long as your essay is logical and addresses the question  :)