Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:17:02 pm

Author Topic: Pen suggestions.  (Read 8936 times)

kevin217

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Pen suggestions.
« on: October 11, 2016, 12:23:08 pm »
Can you guys recommend which pen is best for the upcoming exams?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Pen suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 01:08:13 pm »
+2

One with ink ;)

But seriously, whatever you've been writing with all year will be fine :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 01:16:44 pm »
+1
I don't know any specific brands, but I'd suggest not getting a pen that has an abrasive grip at the top, and instead getting one of the soft rubber ones. I used one with an abrasive grip during trials (you know the ones with the zig-zaggy kinda thing) and using if for so long it started to cut into my finger, to the point where my finger was bleeding at the end of my Ancient Exam!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

kevin217

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 01:24:56 pm »
One with ink ;)

But seriously, whatever you've been writing with all year will be fine :)
Lol, that's the thing. The pen I used for trials was a free Tafe pen and now that's out of link. So I'm trying to find a few brands to try out.

I don't know any specific brands, but I'd suggest not getting a pen that has an abrasive grip at the top, and instead getting one of the soft rubber ones. I used one with an abrasive grip during trials (you know the ones with the zig-zaggy kinda thing) and using if for so long it started to cut into my finger, to the point where my finger was bleeding at the end of my Ancient Exam!
I have no idea what this abrasive tip is but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 01:29:56 pm »
+1
Lol, that's the thing. The pen I used for trials was a free Tafe pen and now that's out of link. So I'm trying to find a few brands to try out. I have no idea what this abrasive tip is but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

Heres an example of what I mean :) You see at the end of the pen it's jagged not smooth?
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 01:49:40 pm »
Papermate Kilometricos are nice and lightweight, so if you need to write quickly, use that. If you need to write neatly though, and dont normally write neatly, I suggest another pen.

But seriously, any pen that isnt made of gold should be fine in the exam room :D

I used a BIC Crystal M for my trials, was light and it didn't make me too messy..

Striddawg

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 06:23:52 pm »
I personally use bic altantis, but I do a lot of maths so I can't say how well they would work for a more wordy, essay based exam x You can get them in 4 packs from woolies so they're convenient at the very least

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 06:26:26 pm »
I personally use bic altantis, but I do a lot of maths so I can't say how well they would work for a more wordy, essay based exam x You can get them in 4 packs from woolies so they're convenient at the very least

Lol you'll need all 4 pens for the exam probably. Lash out and get a 10 pack in case one doesn't work xD

But, importantly: check your pens work (especially your new pens) before going into the exam room. This will save you time doing 'dead flies on the page' in the exam.

midorinomizu

• Fresh Poster
  • Mother, you've turned into a chicken again.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 06:37:17 pm »
+2
Personally Pilot G-2 07 pens are my favourite as they are smooth to write with, and if you have a preference for gel pens its great. But if you tend to rub your hand against the paper it will smudge, but otherwise dries relatively quickly. 
Ancient History, Biology,Chemistry, General Mathematics, Standard English, Studies of Religion I

https://youtu.be/agKMF1f4hj0?t=92

nt2387

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 06:41:43 pm »
Pilot G2

In 0.7 or 0.5.
2015: Accounting 49 | Sociology 44

2016: Psychology 49 | English 45 | Chemistry 45 | Methods 41     ATAR: 99.55

TUTORING 2017 - PM if interested!

midorinomizu

• Fresh Poster
  • Mother, you've turned into a chicken again.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 06:45:30 pm »
+1
Ancient History, Biology,Chemistry, General Mathematics, Standard English, Studies of Religion I

https://youtu.be/agKMF1f4hj0?t=92

lysscass

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 06:47:05 pm »
I like paper mate ink joy or bic crystal m, but it's personal preference really. just make sure you test the pens! I find i get better quality when i buy pens individually from the news agent or in a small pack then if i get the big 10-20 pen packs. not sure why, just seems to go that way for me.
also, i thought blue or black ink was okay but recently noticed some papers only specified black, so that may be worth looking in to.

kevin217

• Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 08:29:35 pm »
I like paper mate ink joy or bic crystal m, but it's personal preference really. just make sure you test the pens! I find i get better quality when i buy pens individually from the news agent or in a small pack then if i get the big 10-20 pen packs. not sure why, just seems to go that way for me.
also, i thought blue or black ink was okay but recently noticed some papers only specified black, so that may be worth looking in to.
Yeah apparently black in is better scanned and thus is more easily read by markers. I just purchased some black ink joy pens. They feel pretty good.

vyca

• Trailblazer
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 08:37:02 pm »
Personally Pilot G-2 07 pens are my favourite as they are smooth to write with, and if you have a preference for gel pens its great. But if you tend to rub your hand against the paper it will smudge, but otherwise dries relatively quickly.

I second that! I only just picked it up a couple days ago..found that I wrote faster and pretty legibly with it!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 08:59:31 pm »
+1

Warning: Do NOT use these pens if you are a left hander.. Learn from my mistakes :(