Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:30:02 am

Author Topic: 3U Maths Question Thread  (Read 1238024 times)  Share 

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
Re: 3U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #3720 on: October 14, 2018, 10:44:58 pm »

You're too quick -_-... I was typing stuff out to edit my reply T_T
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

iktimal

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3721 on: October 14, 2018, 11:04:48 pm »

I don't understand why " Since < BDC = < BEC = 90, they are angles in a semicircle", can you please explain to me why they are angles in a semicircle not a full circle?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3722 on: October 14, 2018, 11:07:04 pm »
+2

I don't understand why " Since < BDC = < BEC = 90, they are angles in a semicircle", can you please explain to me why they are angles in a semicircle not a full circle?
I am trying to use the converse of the theorem "the angle in a semicircle is a right angle". The whole point of that step was to prove that \(BC\) is a diameter, which I cannot do without using (the converse of) this theorem.

Because the theorem says the word "semicircle" in it, I used the word "semicircle" as well.

iktimal

• Adventurer
« Reply #3723 on: October 14, 2018, 11:12:06 pm »
I am trying to use the converse of the theorem "the angle in a semicircle is a right angle". The whole point of that step was to prove that \(BC\) is a diameter, which I cannot do without using (the converse of) this theorem.

Because the theorem says the word "semicircle" in it, I used the word "semicircle" as well.

Oh OK, Thank you very much

siimraan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3724 on: October 16, 2018, 11:23:20 pm »

After you prove BC is the diameter and M is the centre. Since DE is a chord and N is the midpoint cant you just use the theorem that 'The line from the centre of a circle to the midpoint of a chord is perpendicular to the chord.' Or do you have to do the extra working to get the full marks.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3725 on: October 16, 2018, 11:36:31 pm »
After you prove BC is the diameter and M is the centre. Since DE is a chord and N is the midpoint cant you just use the theorem that 'The line from the centre of a circle to the midpoint of a chord is perpendicular to the chord.' Or do you have to do the extra working to get the full marks.
Fair call. I forgot that theorem existed because I've never seen it get used until now.

rachtrenaman

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3726 on: October 22, 2018, 06:34:01 pm »
Can someone please help with this question. I’m seriously struggling with locus and parabola questions!

The chord of contact of the tangents to the parabola x2= 4ay from an external point P(x0,y0) passes through point Q(0,2a). Find the equation of the locus of the midpoint of PQ. 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3727 on: October 22, 2018, 07:05:56 pm »
+1
Can someone please help with this question. I’m seriously struggling with locus and parabola questions!

The chord of contact of the tangents to the parabola x2= 4ay from an external point P(x0,y0) passes through point Q(0,2a). Find the equation of the locus of the midpoint of PQ. 

rachtrenaman

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3728 on: October 22, 2018, 08:13:03 pm »

chayek

• Adventurer
« Reply #3729 on: October 22, 2018, 08:23:55 pm »
Hi, I am having some issues trying to solve this parametrics question. I don't understand what to do and where to start, if someone could please help.

"If the chord of contact to the tangents of the parabola x^2 = 4ay, from an external point T(x1,y1) meets the directrix at R, prove that RT subtends a right angle at the focus

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3730 on: October 22, 2018, 08:38:09 pm »
+2
Hi, I am having some issues trying to solve this parametrics question. I don't understand what to do and where to start, if someone could please help.

"If the chord of contact to the tangents of the parabola x^2 = 4ay, from an external point T(x1,y1) meets the directrix at R, prove that RT subtends a right angle at the focus

The diagram gives you all important pieces of the puzzle. (Note that the tangents aren't really useful and hence dimmde out; they just reinforce the fact that the other line is indeed the chord of contact.

You are trying to prove that \(\angle TSR = 90^\circ\).

My first instinct (may or may not work) for this question would be to use the formula sheet and the fact that perpendicular lines have gradient \(m_1m_2 = -1\).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:40:48 pm by RuiAce »

Divayth Fyr

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3731 on: October 23, 2018, 04:51:29 pm »

Mate2425

• Trendsetter
  • "A rolling stone, gathers no moss!"
« Reply #3732 on: October 26, 2018, 08:21:56 am »
Hi, i was wondering how you prove that a point given, is a point of inflexion, if it lies on a curve?

Thanks  :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3733 on: October 26, 2018, 08:29:22 am »
+2
Hi, i was wondering how you prove that a point given, is a point of inflexion, if it lies on a curve?

Thanks  :)
Show that at that point the second derivative is 0, and then test both sides to ensure there’s a change in concavity.

Mate2425

• Trendsetter
  • "A rolling stone, gathers no moss!"
« Reply #3734 on: October 26, 2018, 11:49:02 am »
Hey also with asin@ + bcos@ = rsin(@+&) could you please tell me what the special rule is where if they change position to this standard (<--) or one term has a negative in front of it instead of a +. What sort of process should i take to tackle those sort of questions?

Thaaaannnnkkkyyyooouu!