Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 05:20:11 pm

Author Topic: Denied internal transfer into arts/law despite 80 WAM?  (Read 3877 times)  Share 

Confusedprincess

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +8
Denied internal transfer into arts/law despite 80 WAM?
« on: November 24, 2018, 01:06:59 am »
I’m a bit baffled what the process is to be selected to transfer from arts to arts/law? I got an 80 WAM in semester 1 of my arts course, and yet I got my application denied today as I “did not meet the course requirements”. Though it’s possible my WAM went down this semester I’m still confused, as results have not yet been released to students.

Is transferring into law that competitive that an 80 WAM is not enough some years? Is there any follow up I could do to my application to find out why it was denied?
2017: Revolutions; Global Politics; English; Literature; Sociology

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
Re: Denied internal transfer into arts/law despite 80 WAM?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 08:18:18 am »
+1
How did you find this out, Confusedprincess? :) Course transfers aren't released until 10 December.

How many credit points did you complete this year?

Confusedprincess

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 10:22:38 am »
I got an email that said the outcome of my status was released, and when I clicked the link it said I was denied. I did 6 units across the year, which was less then a full time load. But I assumed 2 units was the minimum to transfer (the Monash course transfer page said 12 credit points)?

EDIT: Course transfer results are meant to be in December I think, but for people who had all their transfer requests denied get known early.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 10:30:31 am by Confusedprincess »
2017: Revolutions; Global Politics; English; Literature; Sociology

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 10:38:04 am »
+5
Hey Confusedprincess,

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the result that you hoped for. From a quick search, it seems the Law/Arts double degree has an extra requirement: https://www.monash.edu/course-transfers/course-pages/woo-mango?course_id=1278060#pathway-options

Additional entry requirements for course transfers
You must have a distinction average or better and have passed a minimum 48 credit points and a maximum of 96 credit points.

In other words, this particular course needed at least 8 units. Since it doesn't state otherwise, I assume that this requirement applies to both internal and external course transfers. Don't take my information as definite (I could be wrong), but hopefully it clarifies things :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 12:26:50 pm »
Hey Confusedprincess,

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the result that you hoped for. From a quick search, it seems the Law/Arts double degree has an extra requirement: https://www.monash.edu/course-transfers/course-pages/woo-mango?course_id=1278060#pathway-options

In other words, this particular course needed at least 8 units. Since it doesn't state otherwise, I assume that this requirement applies to both internal and external course transfers. Don't take my information as definite (I could be wrong), but hopefully it clarifies things :)
+1

Just to add onto this, I imagine that because you've completed less than 48 credit points, your WAM + ATAR would have been taken into account which might not have been high enough. :)