Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:34:23 am

Author Topic: Economics at Monash University, options.  (Read 932 times)  Share 

EconCurious

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Economics at Monash University, options.
« on: November 21, 2018, 09:01:37 am »
So I am enrolled right now at Monash to do a Bachelor of Business and a Bachelor of Information Technology, however I am not to keen on the Information Technology side of things and would rather pursue a career in Economics. I'm planning to drop the degree in Information Technology after semester one and to pursue a Bachelor of Business majoring in Economics & Business Strategy and Business Statistics, then go onto do a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) in Economics. Just a few questions:

- Would the Business Statistics major compliment the Economics & Business Strategy major?

- Would I be eligible to do a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) in Economics from a Bachelor of Business as long as I maintain a high WAM?

- Is doing a Bachelor of Business as compared to a BECon or BCom a disadvantage when applying for graduate roles or internships at places like the RBA or Treasury?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Economics at Monash University, options.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 04:39:06 pm »
+1
I'll bump this up for you, even though I have basically zero ideas about any of the questions, but I'll give them a crack anyway.

- Would the Business Statistics major compliment the Economics & Business Strategy major?
I'm not sure here. But if it's like science, no one minds if you do two very different things. This is coming from someone who did an extended major in genetics and minored in chemistry and Japanese.
- Would I be eligible to do a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) in Economics from a Bachelor of Business as long as I maintain a high WAM?
Generally, you'll have to follow whatever your undergrad studies were. According to the 2 minutes of research I've done online, I haven't seen anything on eligibility. The only pathway I can see is if you did a Bachelor of Commerce prior to Honours, unfortunately. You can certainly ask around to see if it's possible though. As I said before, I don't know if it's the same in business/ commerce as science.
- Is doing a Bachelor of Business as compared to a BECon or BCom a disadvantage when applying for graduate roles or internships at places like the RBA or Treasury?
No idea. Will leave to someone else more experienced in the area.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
Re: Economics at Monash University, options.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:10:11 am »
+1
I'll answer this for you since I just saw this and thought I could help, might seem weird since it's such an old post hahaha. I'm an econs major btw so I think I can help.

- Would the Business Statistics major complement the Economics & Business Strategy major?

Certainly, although not as much as say an IT major that you were doing. Remember, economics in uni is quite theoretical and generally people find more utility in doing practical units than theoretical ones. A lot of people I know who are basically fluent in economic theory learn the theory by themselves out of interest. With that being said, I think business statistics and economics+bus. strategy are quite compatible with one another especially if you're considering governmental jobs.

Consult this link for more details about BComm (Hons), but I'll summarise it for your case. The units you have to take was summarised in the link before, but it doesn't exist now. If you've done the right units and have a high enough WAM for those units (2nd year micro, macro, + a few 3rd year economics units) you should be eligible. You should also do ETC2410 as a one-off unit in Clayton, and I'm sure they're fairly strict on that. Just email the Honours coordinator and see what you need. I remember the bar for BBus students are higher, at like 80+ than the usual 70+ for BComm students.

Ideally you should aim to do BComm (Hons) in Economics/Econometrics as these graduates are more highly sought after than anything else, but with the right results and experience in the different things that might assist work in the places you've mentioned (programming and analytics) it really doesn't make a difference, so don't panic and good luck!

2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching