Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:51:38 am

Author Topic: Overloading a semester  (Read 1267 times)  Share 

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
Overloading a semester
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:28:23 pm »
Hey, I was wondering if there's anyone who overloaded in commerce for a semester before.
So I'm in a double degree (Bcomm/actuarial science), going into 2nd year next year, which is pretty much extended commerce anyways, and I want to know if overloading for a semester would be detrimental to my results, considering extended contact hours and course difficulty. This is because I'm looking to graduate by 2020 through alternative exit with BActSc, and I burned 2 units in my first sem to marketing and management already. Not that I can't just continue with the semester normally though, but I'd just like to use the remaining space of my BComm degree to add 1 or 2 more units that I'm interested in before applying to graduate or progress into honours. If I were to overload I would be doing these units next semester:

ETC2430 - Actuarial Statistics
ETC2440 - Maths for econs and business
BFC2140 - Corp Finance 1
ETC3410 - Applied Econometrics or ECC2010 - Intermediate Macro
ACC1100 - intro to financial accounting

I was just wondering if it would be wise to do it for a semester, that's all. I'm willing to provide more info if you need it.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
Re: Overloading a semester
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 02:08:43 pm »
+5
I think its largely to do with your personal circumstances. For example, I overloaded in semester 1 in this year (3 level 1 units and 2 level 2 units). I found it manageable, but you definitely have to stay motivated and organised throughout the semester, as well as throughout the exam period.

However, you've listed mostly 2nd or 3rd year units, and so the workload may be significantly greater (I'm not too sure about what commerce units are like either). Have you done many second year units yet? If so, and you think you can handle 5 of them, then I think it's definitely possible. You can always return to your faculty course adviser and talk about un-enrolling from a unit before the census date (with no financial or academic penalty) if you find the workload too much.

Good luck :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
Re: Overloading a semester
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:20:01 am »
+2
Hey! Thanks for the reply! Haven't been on AN for quite some time sorry about that.

I did 3 level 2 and 1 level 1 unit this semester and I found it more than alright tbh so I think I'd be alright for the challenge. But I'll definitely bail out if it's too much tho HAHAHA and thanks for the advice! I'll keep it in mind. 
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching